Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: Bee club visitor

Bee club visitor

This week we had a speaker that spoke about the varroa mites. He gave a lot of information about the mites that I had no knowledge of. The varroa mite is in every country except one,,,Australia. reason is the mite can not live in the higher temperatures.
    He brought in a system that can kill the mites without chemicals. It goes in under the brood frames and a temp bulb on top of the frames. It looks to be a flat heater system. When turned on it will heat the brood up to 104-106 degrees. At that temp it kills the varroa mite and hive Beatles. It will need the process done on every hive twice, spring and fall. But if your neighbor has bees you will have to do their hives also or they will come in from the neighbor. The good news is that the production of honey will increase because the girls are not sick from the mites. I'm looking to purchase one soon. There are some YouTube movies or you can go to lynn@beehivethermalindustries.com or phone 803-413-9313 derrick@beehivethermalindustries.com or phone 423-413-5370
    I have come to believe honey bees are more important to this world than I am.

Thank you. We just took a bee keeping class from our local association, and are planning to get our first bees next year.

This system sounds like it will be a big step forward in pest control.

Interesting. I wonder if there are any independent tests floating around? Does it kill larval mites, or just adult mites?
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Solothurn View Post
    Thank you. We just took a bee keeping class from our local association, and are planning to get our first bees next year.
    I've been beekeeping for a little over 10 years now, I have had up to 3 hives at a time, but for the last six years, i have only had one. It's a great hobby, free honey and wax. With just one hive, I can get several gallons of honey per year. My brother recently took up mead making to use up some of my stockpile of honey.

Coworker and her father keep bees as well. Interesting stuff
    A nice cigar makes a bad day good and a good day great.

Boolit Master
    I have been keeping bees for 30 years on and off and there have been several attempts at this very thing....hopefully this one works well. Fingers crossed!!
    P.S. nabbed these girls yesterday! 8)

"Pardon me whilst I adjust my accrutiments." (Daffy Duck)

my first year I started with 2 hives. second year I had 5 hives. couple months ago I remembered I had cut down 4 pine trees and had them cut into lumber three years ago. Soooo, the lumber was free, all I had to do was take a hive apart and use it for patterns. I now have 16 hives and I am waiting for my 10 nucs to come in. Didn't take the price of nucs in consideration before going nuts cutting wood. Got "THE look" from my wife when I told her the price. But, I am 75 years old and enjoying every minute I spend with my girls even if there are 60000 of them

Boolit Bub
    10 nucs! I can only imagine the look on her face... I was wanting to expand to a second this year, but with how the weather has been in IL so far and the fact I'm getting married in a week, it's not really in the cards. I guess I will have to get by another year surviving on just one hive.

yes it does kill the larva mites.