Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traditional scope vs Red dot on a Ruger

Boolit Buddy

Traditional scope vs Red dot on a Ruger

I don't want to hijack somebody else s thread so I'll start my own. I just bought a Ruger SBH hunter with the intention of mounting a scope on it for deer hunting. Now I see a thread about red dots on hunting handguns. I'm curious about the pros and cons between the two. I've hunted with handguns in the past but only with iron sights unfortunately I don't see as well as I did 20 years ago, go figure. I don't want to start a them vs us thread I just wanted to know what works for different hunters. Thanks biggin.

Red dots are fast at close quarters but, due to the size of the dot, they will not provide the precise lay of the gun that is had by a telescope. My favorite telescope sight is an old Khales 2.5X on a M70 Win. That -06 has killed many deer for me over the years though I have migrated to an aperture sighted 1895 Win. At ranges over 75-100 yards, I find a dot sight provides a too coarse aiming point for a precise hit.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Dan

Red dots now are available with some (3x) magnification. Holo sights work well and are lighter. A red 'dot' will not cover up the 'deer' aim point at 100 yds. They also don't have any grads for range adjustments, but do you need them? Scopes don't need batteries.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Haven't thought about the battery issue thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Haven't thought about the battery issue thanks

Banned

battery issues are a big concern unless your buying a cheap sight. My aimpoints can be left on for 5 years on one battery. Ive recently picked up a couple sig sauer red dots and they have a set up that shuts off in 2 minutes if left alone and just touching the gun turns them back on. There supposed to get 5 years out of a aaa battery because of it. Vortex has a new crossfire that has a year life left on for a 150 bucks. I went with the sigs because even if shtf aaa batterys will be able to be found. Personaly I like dot sights on serious defense guns but wouldn't have one I had to fumble around turning on in the middle of the night if someone breaks in. that and if those cheap ones are left on by accident the batterys are done in a couple days.

Boolit Master

As stated above, red dots are fast but for a more precise aiming point opt for rds that have a 2moa dot. I made this mistake on a great deal on a Trijicon micro red dot sight withna 6 or 9 moa (can't remember) which would be more useful in a sd role on an auto.

One item not mentioned is blurring of the dot due to stigmatism. Try before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    ..... A red 'dot' will not cover up the 'deer' aim point at 100 yds. .....
    Did not say that they cover up the deer. I said that the dot sight provides an aiming point too coarse for precise aiming.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Banned
    i have a burris reflex sight on my ruger sbh and i love it. i don't see too well either. if your using it for hunting, then i'll say go fer it!!! at 100 yards it will go 2 - 3 1/2" groups(supported by a primos bipod, 6 shots). unsupported it will go 2 1/2 - 4" at 50 yards, which is great for me, not great for deer.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-...nny-mount.html

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    First corn cruncher I popped with a Dan Wesson Revolver in 375 Supermag. Had a Leupold 2x M8 on it. Buck stopped at 20 yards. Leason learned... 2x is too much at 20 yards. Not the scopes fault... But river bottom and woods edge hunting is what I do.
    Switched to Micro Dots. Much faster and easily accurate enough at 33 yards and less. That is my farthest shot on a corn cruncher so far of well over 20 deer in East ILLinois. So far the Micro-dots have not been hurt by any Supermag or the 454 Casull or 475 Linebaugh (BFR's).
    If I hunted open fields or places where shots were going to be generally 50 yards + I would mount the M8 on whichever revolver was going out that year.
    Battery... each Micro-Dot gets a new battery each hunting season. Removed batteries are for range time until they die.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Banned

ya for a hunting gun battery life isn't that important because you don't need to keep them on 24/7. A new battery before season would be all it would take.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good afternoon
    First corn cruncher I popped with a Dan Wesson Revolver in 375 Supermag. Had a Leupold 2x M8 on it. Buck stopped at 20 yards. Leason learned... 2x is too much at 20 yards. Not the scopes fault... But river bottom and woods edge hunting is what I do.
    Switched to Micro Dots. Much faster and easily accurate enough at 33 yards and less. That is my farthest shot on a corn cruncher so far of well over 20 deer in East ILLinois. So far the Micro-dots have not been hurt by any Supermag or the 454 Casull or 475 Linebaugh (BFR's).
    If I hunted open fields or places where shots were going to be generally 50 yards + I would mount the M8 on whichever revolver was going out that year.
    Battery... each Micro-Dot gets a new battery each hunting season. Removed batteries are for range time until they die.
    Mike in Peru

Personally for hunting or self defense I do not want to count on a battery. A switch left on and your battery is dead. Target shooting is a different matter, but I have seen battery issues from either operator error or defective batteries.

Boolit Buddy
    My Vortex Sparc II is rated for 300 hours at max brightness. I rarely even use it at half brightness. Between target practice and my son hunting with it for 2 years, still haven't replaced the battery. The 2 moa dot works fine for us out to 100 yds. On our place, there are very few places you can see more than 100 yds. The new model, Sparc AR, uses a AAA battery with the same battery life. If you get a red dot, I would avoid large dots and sights with a small number of brightness levels.

Boolit Master
    My Primary Arms red dot claims 50,000 hours battery life. I usually turn mine off when not in use but the same coin style battery is going strong after 4 years.

Boolit Master
    I saw no need for dots or reflex sights until I tried them. I now own three and my biggest problem is making up my mind about which guns to keep them on, so I guess I'll have to buy a couple more. I like traditional scopes for rifles but the battery-powered optics are lighter and smaller; much better for handguns and carbines in my opinion.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Banned

check out the new vortex crossfire. Its not only cheaper but is suppose to have near a year of battery life with the sight left on.
    Quote Originally Posted by KCcactus View Post
    My Vortex Sparc II is rated for 300 hours at max brightness. I rarely even use it at half brightness. Between target practice and my son hunting with it for 2 years, still haven't replaced the battery. The 2 moa dot works fine for us out to 100 yds. On our place, there are very few places you can see more than 100 yds. The new model, Sparc AR, uses a AAA battery with the same battery life. If you get a red dot, I would avoid large dots and sights with a small number of brightness levels.

Banned

Ive been testing my aimpoint comp 2 for years. It was suppose to have a one year battery life left on. Ive had the same battery in it now for 4 years (well 4 years come july) Ive had to turn the rheostat up once because the dot was getting a bit dimmer but its still going strong. Only down side to them is the odd ball battery they use. Same down side to my trs25 and the coin batterys. What I like about the sig sauer sight and vortex sparc AR and the newer comp 4 aimpoint is they use a AAA battery. I can pick one up at the local gas station or even in a pinch scarf one out of one of my remote controls. Amazingly though those coin batterys as small as they are seem to have about the same life. I guess its not really a big deal because ive got a couple trs25s and a couple lit crosshair scopes that use them so I allways have a half a dozen new ones laying around. Some claim aaa's would be easier to find in a shtf senerio but at my age and physical condition if shtf finding batterys would be the least of my problems. Hopefully the first bomb lands square on my head!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    My Primary Arms red dot claims 50,000 hours battery life. I usually turn mine off when not in use but the same coin style battery is going strong after 4 years.

Boolit Master
    Here's the real deal when it comes to red dots versus traditional scopes for deer hunting. There are times when you can't make out the crosshairs of a traditional scope, while hunting. The half hour before and after sun rises and sets......peak times when deer are most active.....especially the big boys. I'll take a red dot, all the time.

If you don't like/trust batteries.........spend the $$$$$ and buy Trijicon's.......I did.

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks y'all for the replies. It gives me a lot of food for thought

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast