Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Blue color in sheet lead

Boolit Mold

Blue color in sheet lead

I melted a bunch of sheet lead into ingots and I got some nice blue color in it. What causes this? Also what is the make up of sheet lead? Thanks in advance.

Moderator Emeritus

I am unsure of the chemical cause but it happens with an alloy close to pure IME. Gianni
    PS welcome to the board.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I cast alot of pure lead projectiles for muzzleloaders. I notice in the light, on top of the molten lead in the pot when it is up to temp's, it has peacock colors: Gold, blue, green, purple. I don't know what causes this either. WW lead never has these colors show up in the pot or in the ingots. My pure lead ingots will also have that blue tinge to them. But not long after, they start to turn that dull gray. (WW ingots stay bright and shiney).
    Ohio Rusty ><(((o>

"We don't need a fountain of youth. We have enough youth. What we need is a fountain of SMART !."
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Boolit Buddy
    When I was a kid in the Ozarks we used to dig raw lead nuggets out of the ground (wish I owned some of that land now ). It was almost crystalline and could be split along shear planes. When you split it it was bright blue and iridescent with reds and purples. As it was exposed to the air and oxidized the colors gradually faded away. I suspect you're seeing the same kind of phenomenon. Can't explain it scientifically but suspect it's the difference between pure lead and lead oxide.

Boolit Mold
    That's just what it looks like. I would still like to know the make up of sheet lead.

From what I understand, just about as pure of lead as you can get. As in 99% lead, 1% other.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    I buy 99.9% pure lead for my BPCR. It comes in 50lb ingots that I have to cut into 5 peices with a cold chisel or brickies bolster. When I smelt them into the little ingots in the Lyman mould, I see the same blue/purple that you are talking about.. I think that James is right, you got very close to pure Pb there.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the info, now I understand just a little bit more, what a great place to learn and get your questions taken care of. Thanks again.

These ingots are from 99.7% pure lead sheet, scrap from x-ray shielding contractor.