MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Walleye Cheek Chowder

Boolit Bub

Walleye Cheek Chowder

I didn't want to divert the oyster stew thread, but it brought this to mind. I had been saving walleye cheeks. For those who have never whittled them out, they are well worth the effort. They are a little chewier than the fillet and I thought I'd make a chowder. I sauteed onion and celery in butter until the onion was translucent. I poured in a 8 oz. bottle of clam juice, rinsed the bottle with 8 oz. of water and added about 4 oz. of dry white wine, and a teaspoon of Old Bay seasoning. I quartered the walleye cheeks and poached them in the liquid. Then I diced up 4 potatoes and adding another 8 oz. of water and put the potatoes in to cook until fork tender. Lastly I poured in a pint of heavy whipping cream and salted and peppered to taste. Served with oyster crackers. I was 100% satisfied with the result.

Duke

Moderator Emeritus

we used to pound the cheek a little flatter then season, flour, deep fry for appetizers with beer before supper. Or for nights we did a deep fried junk supper... anything that could be deep fried was fair game.

Boolit Master
    The walleye & jackfish cheeks never made it to being saved for a soup/stew. They get eaten right away with the rest of the filets. So, I will likely never have the chance to try this recipe you shared, but like N.E. clam chowder which I love, I 'd bet I would like it.

Thanks for sharing it!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned

deap fried whitefish cheeks are about as good as it gets.