RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1874 sharps sold by Taylor's and Co?

Boolit Buddy

1874 sharps sold by Taylor's and Co?

Who has a 1874 sharps sold by Taylor's and Co? Who was the gun maker that made yours and how would you rate it? I think that 3 different manufactures have made them for Taylor's...Pedersoli...Armi Sport and Chiappa. I have no proof of Pedersoli making them but I was led to believe they had. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Boolit Master
    Armi Sport was taken over by the son who btought the family name into the Co. Taylors is a destributor of both brands. Did business with the ladies for years.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    They sell both, Pedersoli and the Armisport/Chiappa. The Pedersoli is the better of the two.

Boolit Buddy
    I have not seen the gun except in a photo and think it is 15 or 20 years old. What makes me think it is a Pedersoli is the stock. It has checkering on the buttstock and the forearm that looks like a Pedersoli that I have seen before. I will have to see it in the flesh before I can make up my mind. I think that you are correct in thinking the Pedersoli is the best choice and probably will pass if it is something else. Thanks for your help.

Boolit Master
    If its a Pedersoli it will be marked so on the bottom of the barrel in front of the forearm.

All Taylor Firearms are marked on the barrel as to maker. Taylor uses a lot of companies, and the difference in quality is day and night. Be sure it's one made by one of the good companies like Pedersoli. Taylor also used Uberti for some guns, but don't think any were the 1874 Sharps clones.

Boolit Buddy
    Does anyone know the going price for a used Pedersoli as opposed to a Armi sport/ Chiappa?

Hey there 762 -- I would save yourself some potential grief and not even consider the Armi Sport or Chiappa rifles. Stick with the Pedersoli, they are a very good rifle.

I was working with mine Monday and here is a little video.

Prices are what they are. After looking for awhile you'll recognize a good price when you see it.

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

Boolit Master
    When I sold my 1874 Pedersoli 4 years ago I got a 1000.00 for it with the Pedersoli mid range tang sight on it. Condition wise it was like new I even still had the box & papers. It was a good rifle but I got a Shiloh 74 long range express for the same price I sold the Pedersoli for and didn't
    need both of them. I don't remember the exact model but it had a 30" barrel,straight checkered stock,and a military style but plate. I had gotten it from cabela's for 1100.00 without the tang sight. How much does the seller want for it and whats the condition?

Boolit Buddy
    This gun will be sold at auction next week. I will try to buy it but don't have deep pockets to buy a new one. Hoping there aren't too many others who want it. If I can get it reasonable it will come home with me. I'll keep you posted.

Hey! If you get this rifle, promise me you'll show it to me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 762sultan View Post
    This gun will be sold at auction next week. I will try to buy it but don't have deep pockets to buy a new one. Hoping there aren't too many others who want it. If I can get it reasonable it will come home with me. I'll keep you posted.
    Keep your eyes open for sales. I got a hunter model from Cabela's several years back and it has been a great rifle out to 1200yd. The stock is plain jane dull finish and the barrel is sand blast finish, but it shoots just fine. Caught it on sale and then got a Veteran's discount of 15% on top of that. I use a Cabela's CC and had 500 points racked up so got into the rifle for $477. Dixie might be another place to watch.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master

If it has IAB on it anywhere PASS. This stands for I Am Bummer!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 762sultan View Post
    Does anyone know the going price for a used Pedersoli as opposed to a Armi sport/ Chiappa?
    It's pretty variable, as it depends on which model, caliber, and sights; plus condition. I've seen them as low as $750 recently, and up to nearly new prices. I think if you find one in nice shape, with good sights at around $1,000 it's a good price.
    And I agree with Wind! I wouldn't take a chance on anything not marked Pedersoli, as who knows who made it!

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    If it has IAB on it anywhere PASS. This stands for I Am Bummer!!!!
    I always thought it meant "It's Always Broke".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I always thought it meant "It's Always Broke".
    That to. I had one for a couple weeks.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

There are a lot of great firearms being produced in Italy and some not so great. For my 2 cents worth I would save my money and get a Shiloh Sharps. It's made in the USA and you will get exactly what you want. Their customer service speaks English in the event it is ever needed. They are a piece of art and shoot as well as they look. Just something to think about.
    gmsharps

Banned

pedersoli sharps and rollers are by FAR the better buy. i've opportunities to buy shiloh sharps and cpa stevens, but the build and value of the pedersoli guns is just too good. and man, those pedi's are Shooters. i have both rollers and sharps models.

best buy for pedersoli .45-70 sharps right now is DGW for $1100 (i've had one) ...

sharps 1874 target w/tapered OTR barrel

... another for $1175 ...

sharps 1874 hunter

... OR the .40-65 sharps (i have one, it'll get reamed for .45-70 w/ppb chamber) $1200 ...

sharps 1874 silhouette w/bull barrel

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wind View Post
    Hey there 762 -- I would save yourself some potential grief and not even consider the Armi Sport or Chiappa rifles. Stick with the Pedersoli, they are a very good rifle.

I was working with mine Monday and here is a little video.

Prices are what they are. After looking for awhile you'll recognize a good price when you see it.

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind
    nice video, thanx for sharing.

what cartridge build were you using? looks like smokeless?

Not knocking either Sharps; Pedersoli or Shiloh. But it's mostly the price that pushes someone towards one or the other. Both are good shooters, and the big difference (besides price) is the fit and finish. A Perdersoli isn't poorly fitted or finished, but it's not quite like a Shiloh. It's a production gun, and a Shiloh is really a custom built gun.
    I think for most shooters the Pedersoli will serve the owner very well, and can be purchased for half the price of a Shiloh, and sometimes less than half.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast