Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingPBcastco
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Slow down,no hurry

Boolit Master

Slow down,no hurry

Started using my first rcbs mold with lee 6 cavity handles. At first bullets looked like ****, then I took a deep breath and slowed down,next thing you know bases filled out perfect and dropped from mold with ease , let the mold and lead tell you when they are ready,don't fight it.slow down enjoy casting it is not a job

As an unabashed Hensley & Gibbs casting snob, I have to say that RCBS makes very nice moulds. You are absolutely correct - you need to let the mould heat up and when it does they cast wonderfully. I have owned a number of them and still do.
    I only wish that quality could be done in RCBS 4 cavity moulds - but they don't (and won't) make them.
    You think it takes a while to heat up with those moulds? Try starting from a stone cold 8 or 10 cavity H&G mould. If i don't preheat it, I assume the first 15 (or more) casts are back into the pot!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

I love RCBS molds, they are fantastic, just wish they made 4 cav's

Boolit Master

After casting for 50 years, I have learned one thing about bullet molds.
    Each is like a woman.
    They each need to be treated in their own special way to get the results you want....dale

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    I love RCBS molds, they are fantastic, just wish they made 4 cav's
    I once had a chat with the product manager at RCBS. He said the company felt that there was not the demand for 4 cavity moulds! He said they had looked at this many times but couldn't justify the expected sales with the costs of production.
    Go figure.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Banned
    Another user of RCBS molds here.

They are excellent molds but, like others, I wish they made a 4 cavity model.
    I recently purchased a 4 cavity SAECO mold to supplement my 2 cavity RCBS mold of a similar design. Truth be told, The SAECO will likely replace, not just supplement, the RCBS mold. I will not say that RCBS lost me as a customer but they did lose that particular sale due to the fact they didn't offer what I wanted.

I see a bullet mold as a 1 time purchase. If I am going to spend money for a tool that I intend to keep for decades, a little more expense is acceptable to me.

Boolit Master
    RCBS and H&G iron is tough to argue with! They cast so nice once they find their sweet spot. You just have to figure out the pace to match each one, then its a stroll down the beach! My only gripe if you could call it one is the iron molds and brass for that matter, sure have a lot of gravity to them! Especially the big H&G's!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    Each is like a woman.
    They each need to be treated in their own special way to get the results you want....dale
    TRUTH!

"Pardon me whilst I adjust my accrutiments." (Daffy Duck)

Each is like a woman.
    Ditto. I have some H&G's that like totally different temps of the mould and the lead. My go to 38/light 357 mould is an H&G #51. I cast that as fast as i can pour them because the mould likes to run HOT! I use the "Bruce B. speed casting" technique to dump out many bullets from a 4 cavity mould.
    On the other hand, my # 503 (Keith 44 gr 250 gr swc) likes to run cooler both in lead and mould temp. Different strokes for different moulds!

You can always have Tom over at Accurate Molds cut you up to a five cavity mold in iron, brass, or aluminum.
    Custom made right the first time, every time.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    You can always have Tom over at Accurate Molds cut you up to a five cavity mold in iron, brass, or aluminum.
    Custom made right the first time, every time.
    +1
    well worth the $$ and quality work throughout. Only regret is he doesn't do 6-cav molds
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master

Each is like a woman.
    Like !
    And don't try to figure them out .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"