RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: uberti baby rolling block

Banned
    In the gun shop where I do a couple of days a week helping out we currently have a Pedersoli rolling block in .357 for sale. It has a heavy octagonal barrel, and a pistol hand butt which carries a tang sight. It looks magnificent. The owner (it's a commission sale) says it's good for 300 yards. If it wasn't so pricey I'd have it just to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    The baby rolling blocks aren't drilled for a tang sight. That's one of the reasons I passed on the one I was looking at.
    Anyone with a hand drill and a set of taps can D&T for a tang sight if they know how to use the tools. I use a drill press now, but I used to do them by hand and never had a problem.

Reverand Al,
    Considering they don't have holes, I'd tap it for standard Remington 1.93 spacing. Does the Uberti have the curved top tang like the original Remington #2 has? If so, the base may also need to get a slight bend to match the curve. Had to do that when I mounted a tang sight to my original #2. It was D&T, but had plug screws in the holes.

OK, I'll have to go and dig my wife's out of the gun safe and have a look to see if the top tang is straight or curved ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    That Tippmann Action only offering has me drooling!
    Tested to 52,000psi Pmax MAP so it is strong enough for my range of cartridge choices!
    And At $400.00 is close to my Range, Now IF I can gather up enough to buy one? Being retired on Social Security is sometimes frustrating.
    Chev. William

Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    That Tippmann Action only offering has me drooling!
    Tested to 52,000psi Pmax MAP so it is strong enough for my range of cartridge choices!
    And At $400.00 is close to my Range, Now IF I can gather up enough to buy one? Being retired on Social Security is sometimes frustrating.
    Chev. William
    If you get a Tippman Roller, maybe you can trim some off that ugly hammer! It looks like a spear point sticking out there so far!

Boolit Master
    I agree about the hammer spur and wasn't to wild about the thumb tab on the block either, Compared to an original it has kinda a shop project look about it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    I agree about the hammer spur and wasn't to wild about the thumb tab on the block either, Compared to an original it has kinda a shop project look about it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though.
    I agree, but side by side with an original design Roller, the Tippman looks even less attractive!

Boolit Master

At least the Tippman can be improved by removing metal rather requiring metal to be added.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heilman sight.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	219796 May I suggest Ron Heilman Soule sights? I have three sets and love them. Other locals have purchased them too and find them to be excellent. He's supposed to have a web site, but I don't have the address. His phone number is on the pamphlet. Give him a shout. Everyone I know has found him to be very helpful

Boolit Master

I love tang sights, they really help my aging eyes. That Uberti is a fine rifle, and a fairly good copy of the #2 Remington rolling block. I have seven rolling blocks, three are #2. I'm quite fond of them. They are a really nice size. I've found that a Marbles or Lyman tang sight is just the right size for them. Unless you are shooting at extreme range or competition, those big vernier sights seem kind of overkill. For plinking, small game or informal target shooting, you would be well served by a Marbles or Lyman. Size wise, the look good too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sights.jpg  

I ran out of elevation quickly with the Lyman tang sight that was on my #2 in .32-20! I love stretching the legs on my #2 and I do have a taller sight than I need, but it was a reasonably priced sight and I'd rather have a little too tall than not enough sight. I've taken my .32-20 out to 500 yds. with this sight, and still had plenty left if my #2 could handle a heavier bullet. It gets a bit unpredictable past 500 yds. with cross winds.
    I think the #2 Rolling Block is the handsomest variation Remington built! The scalloped receivers and curved tangs are really classy!

Now there's a great idea! And they do look like they "belong" don't they? I'll go digging since I'm fairly sure that I still have an old Lyman tang sight in my parts stash. What did you install for a front sight? I'm thinking that a Lyman 17a might work OK for casual target shooting rather than a higher end aperture front sight with a spirit level? Hmmm ...

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    I love tang sights, they really help my aging eyes. That Uberti is a fine rifle, and a fairly good copy of the #2 Remington rolling block. I have seven rolling blocks, three are #2. I'm quite fond of them. They are a really nice size. I've found that a Marbles or Lyman tang sight is just the right size for them. Unless you are shooting at extreme range or competition, those big vernier sights seem kind of overkill. For plinking, small game or informal target shooting, you would be well served by a Marbles or Lyman. Size wise, the look good too.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

I kept the original front sights. With the tang sight, I get a crisp front sight picture. The two rifle shown above are in .32-20 and .32 extra long rimfire. I shoot them both a fair bit. The .32-20 is a little more accurate than the .32 XL rimfire because of its plain base bullet vs the heel bullet. But both are a joy to shoot. The original front sights are fine for my use which is limited to 100 yards or less.

My #2 came to me with a Beches combination sight, so that's what I use. Mostly flipped up to use it as a globe sight with a fine post.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    My #2 came to me with a Beches combination sight, so that's what I use. Mostly flipped up to use it as a globe sight with a fine post.
    That's a sweet front sight. A very popular and practical sight of the period.

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    That's a sweet front sight. A very popular and practical sight of the period.
    Yes, I like them. The ones for a wide Rolling Block front dovetail are pretty rarely seen!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12