Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationPBcastcoLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: High wall in 30-30

Banned

High wall in 30-30

Hello friends,

I am growing more fond of single shot rifles. I really like casting, loading and shooting 30-30. And I like the looks of Winchester's highwall design.

How common are highwalls in 30-30? I check Gunbroker and other places and they are practically non-existent.

Am I wasting my time on an impossible dream?

Thanks in advance.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master
    If you want an original, they are very uncommon in .30-30. I’ve seen a few originals in .30-40, but the only .30-30s I’ve seen were a couple of aftermarket rebuilds.

Best bet would be to find an action or wreck you could have rebarreled in .30-30, or get one of those Uberti Highwalls and have it rebored or relined.

Properly set up, the cartridge is very accurate. A friend had a Martini-Enfield that somebody had put a heavy barrel onto, chambered in .30-30. He never loaded any cast boolits in it, but it shot factory ammo like a target rifle.

Banned
    Bent Ramrod,

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't mind a reproduction of course. An Italian rifle is no problem for me.

I have a Pedersoli Sharps and it is excellent.

I read somewhere that Uberti made a highwall chambered in 30-30. Did I read that wrong? Or maybe my memory is wrong.

My Browning Model 1885 is chambered in 30-06, and came with no sights. I drilled and tapped the barrel for a front sight, and added a Williams aperture rear sight. The front sight I installed (a silver blade from Track of the Wolf), is a bit short, and I can't zero the rifle with full-power 30-06 ammo. So I download it to 30-30 equivalent, and shoot 170 - 200 grain bullets at around 2100 fps. It works out fine. Just FYI.

Boolit Grand Master

I believe C Sharps offers their Highwall reproduction in 30-30. I know 38-55 is there. These are fine rifles with a lot of options to chose from.

For your money you'll get a true High Wall from C. Sharps. Although my Browning looks like a High Wall, internally it is very different. IMHO, neither better nor worse, but just different.

Considering how prolific the 1885 in .30-40 is, compared to how rare a .30-30 is; I'd consider buying one in .30-40 instead. The brass is cheap still, and plentiful. You can load it to the same specs and it would do whatever the .30-30 did and more. Unless you're just dead set on it being a .30-30.

Good point. The Krag cartridge has a nice long neck, like the 30-30. Excellent choice.

Browning made a run of their Traditional Hunter model in 30-30 some years back. It is their version of the Hi-Wall with a tang sight and heavy half round, half octagon 26" bbl. I have one and it is super accurate. If you do your stuff right, and have good Karma on the day you shoot it, it is a reliable MOA cast bullet rifle.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I have an 1885 Browning in 30-30 with the long range sights... They only made 300... PM me if you want to talk.... Dale

Boolit Master

I also have one of the Browning Traditional Hunter Hi Wall rifles in 30-30. Often wondered how many they made for this cartridge. Mine has a short throat and I have difficulty chambering my powder coated cast boolits in it when they're seated to the crimp groove.

Boolit Master
    Here are a few pics...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bullets and 1885 016.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	219850

Name:	bullets and 1885 020.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	219851

Name:	bullets and 1885 016.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	219850

I am not good on a computer....

Boolit Master
    I'll try again....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bullets and 1885 023.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	219852

Name:	bullets and 1885 015.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	219853

Boolit Master
    Pardon if I am hijacking this thread... But Denver.. How and what does your rifle shoot? Mine is a safe queen.....

Uberti did make a low wall in 30-30 ,have one and it shoots good .Its a nice light lil rifle just not fond of the red stain they slather the wood with LOL