MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my wish from Ruger

Boolit Master

my wish from Ruger

I hope that Ruger makes a no 1 in 4570 with a octoganal 30 inches or so
    modified safety so you could mount a vernier sight and globe front

Boolit Master
    I would be all over that faster than you could say "make it mine" 38-55 would be fun too

Boolit Master
    I would like that all so just change barrel half oct. half round. and one in .50-70 with a 24 in.barrel and express sights the .50-70 is fun to play with. Good pig stopper!

Boolit Master
    One of each please ��

Your description of a perfect Ruger is exactly what I've described to Ruger reps whenever I saw them at an NRA convention or anywhere I saw them. They always seem interested, but nothing ever comes of it. I personally think a 30" octagon or half octagon in .45-70 and .38-55 would be a huge seller. Unsure what the factory could do about a tang sight, but it would require an offset safety, and a special base to straddle the safety so a tang sight could mount on that base.
    Wish they'd actually do this instead of just smiling and patronizing the suggestions given.

Boolit Master

30-40, 25-20, and 32-20 are my wishes
    Being human is not for sissies.

Actually, I'm surprised that some enterprising guy hasn't invented an after market safety & vernier adapter plate for the #1. Anyone have a design in mind?

Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

You would think Ruger would see the market for the older big bore cartridges. Most guys into this
    would be the type who wants Tang Sights, if they are like me. They could adapt a tang that would
    mount on reciever. I have a original like that on a Rolling Block. That way the safety could be left
    as is and not be a addition design change cost. Then again Ruger may not think they could sell
    enough of them to profit. They can barrel and chamber a run very easily. That redesigned safety
    would cost.

Boolit Master
    Could the rail on a #1 be modified to use a ruff & ready sight like Remington put on some rolling blocks back in the day? Mva still makes the sight. While not a true tang sight it wouldn't require a tang or a safety relocation.

I've seen tang sights done on a Ruger #1 that retain the safety, and they were as I described. The original safety had material added to the right side to extend it to the right. Then a simple base was made to straddle the safety and that base was D&T to accept standard tang sights. The two I've seen used a Ballard 1.125" spacing and a Stevens 1.5" spacing. It matters not which, as long as it spans the safety. The tang sight screws were long enough to go through the adapter base so the two screws that mounted the sight also held the base that straddles the safety. Very clean, and simple.

A rough and ready sight wont usually be close enough to your eye to get a great sight picture for extremely accurate competitive shooting. It's a great hunting or plinking sight, but not a serious target sight.

Boolit Master
    I can relate to your ideas; but I am hoping for a 'Standard Automatic' in .25ACP with a 6" or even longer Barrel.
    I believe The .25ACP is neglected and wasted in the stubby barrels most available pistols are delivered with.
    in a Longer barrel, it does Improve its accuracy and Varmint shooting prowess.
    Also, in a Rifle It could be a quiet vermin eliminator and as a hand loaded cartridge with higher Pmax MAP and powder optimized for Rifle length barrels, it could give loadable accurate but quiet .22LR replacements for 'Pot Meat' Hunters.

Chev. William

Sorry, Ruger your just to slow to market desireables

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    30-40, 25-20, and 32-20 are my wishes
    The .30-40 has been done within the past few years, IIRC.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    I can relate to your ideas; but I am hoping for a 'Standard Automatic' in .25ACP with a 6" or even longer Barrel.
    I believe The .25ACP is neglected and wasted in the stubby barrels most available pistols are delivered with.
    in a Longer barrel, it does Improve its accuracy and Varmint shooting prowess.
    Also, in a Rifle It could be a quiet vermin eliminator and as a hand loaded cartridge with higher Pmax MAP and powder optimized for Rifle length barrels, it could give loadable accurate but quiet .22LR replacements for 'Pot Meat' Hunters.

Chev. William
    I'd just hope the little .25acp could have enough oomph to get the slug to the end of a rifle barrel!

After seeing what a .25acp did to an intruder when my brother in law shot him in the face at point blank range, I wouldn't trust it for squirrels! The guy got hit on the right side of his chin, and grabbed his face and ran away. The cops found him an hour later at the emergency room of a local hospital and arrested him. The bullet hit his chin, and deflected along his jaw bone. It stopped just short of his ear where the surgeon removed it. They gave him something for discomfort and hauled him off to jail.
    My brother in law went out the next day and bought a 9mm to replace the .25acp. Smart choice.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I'd just hope the little .25acp could have enough oomph to get the slug to the end of a rifle barrel!

After seeing what a .25acp did to an intruder when my brother in law shot him in the face at point blank range, I wouldn't trust it for squirrels! The guy got hit on the right side of his chin, and grabbed his face and ran away. The cops found him an hour later at the emergency room of a local hospital and arrested him. The bullet hit his chin, and deflected along his jaw bone. It stopped just short of his ear where the surgeon removed it. They gave him something for discomfort and hauled him off to jail.
    My brother in law went out the next day and bought a 9mm to replace the .25acp. Smart choice.
    I did NOT claim Current USA Factory .25ACP Loads are Long range Varmint or Vermin Cartridges. There is recorded Testing Data on use of Factory .25ACP in barrels up to 18 inches in length with Muzzle velocity measured at over 900fps.

I DID say that a Rifle length barrel With a Hand Load .25ACP Would be good to use.
    I have Fired .25ACP hand loaded with 1.89 grains of Bullseye behind a 63 Grain Lead RF bullet from a 10-5/8 inch barreled Revolver that chronographed at 1224fps average.

Considering that the Factory loads are either 50 grain FMJ, or 35Grain JHP, I can understand the problem with taking down an Attacker.

Now, would you like to volunteer to be shot with a Sized down to .251" diameter Hornady #2510 60 grain JSFP propelled by ~2.5 grains of BE-86 and seated to a overall length of .905" out of my Revolver? I seriously doubt it!
    This does leave lovely round holes in my targets.

A different set of conditions that most likely would leave the Miscreant Much Less Willing to stand up for more.

Chuckling,
    Chev. William

I, personally, would remove the safety from the #1 if I wanted to use it as a long range black powder target rifle for casual matches or gong shoots. On the target range, the safety is not used and the thumb piece interferes with ejection. If you wish to hunt the rifle, a tang sight is not needed thus the safety issue is moot. As the NRA does not allow hammerless rifles in their BPCR matches, the market is severly curtailed.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post

Now, would you like to volunteer to be shot with a Sized down to .251" diameter Hornady #2510 60 grain JSFP propelled by ~2.5 grains of BE-86 and seated to a overall length of .905" out of my Revolver? I seriously doubt it!
    This does leave lovely round holes in my targets.

A different set of conditions that most likely would leave the Miscreant Much Less Willing to stand up for more.

Chuckling,
    Chev. William
    Well I wont volunteer to be shot with a BB gun, so it's irrelevant. I do understand the .25acp, just like numerous anemic rounds, can be loaded much hotter, especially in a different action. But in my opinion I'd rather spend my time and money on a better .25 CF cartridge, and there are several that would outperform a .25acp if we're simply talking better actions and hand loads. I'd choose the old .25-20WCF over the .25acp any day.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Well I wont volunteer to be shot with a BB gun, so it's irrelevant. I do understand the .25acp, just like numerous anemic rounds, can be loaded much hotter, especially in a different action. But in my opinion I'd rather spend my time and money on a better .25 CF cartridge, and there are several that would outperform a .25acp if we're simply talking better actions and hand loads. I'd choose the old .25-20WCF over the .25acp any day.
    Understandable and reasonable; but then i don't have a .25-20WCF Chambered revolver or rifle and my revolver has a '6,25 Browning' dimensioned Bore and Groove diameters.

.25-20WCF max OAL is 1.592" and uses .257" Diameter bullets

That is why I also am working with Longer Straight Walled (untapered) 'wildcats of the .25 ACP diameter and Bullet diameters.
    The ACP is nominal .615" long.
    The ALR is nominal .960" long.
    The MACP is nominal 1.055" long.
    The ALS is nominal 1.125" long.
    The ALRM is nominal 1.260" long.
    The above Are Case Lengths.
    All are CF Designs made from either.22 Hornet or 5.7x28mm Cases by Swaging the Body and Base down to .278" max. Diameter but leaving the rim alone; except for Thinning and diameter reductions on the .22 Hornet rims.

My revolver limits my Cartridge Over All Lengths (OAL) to 1.400" and my loading Pmax MAP to about 25,000psi to 30,000psi.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-15-2018 at 12:39 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    behind the lines of enemy territory,60 miles from NYC
    I'v always wanted a 7.62x54r single shot(.308 ")

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by canuck4570 View Post
    I hope that Ruger makes a no 1 in 4570 with a octoganal 30 inches or so
    modified safety so you could mount a vernier sight and globe front
    never gonna happen. that market is already well covered onshore (shiloh, c-sharps, etc) and offshore (pedersoli) with guns that are 19th century replicas made for a vernier soule tang sight and spirit globe front sight. i like ruger guns, have more than a few, but attempting to make a #1 into something it clearly can't be without some serious design changes, that would appeal only to a micro market, and that could never be used in competitions by the bpcr/bptr crew, well, you can see where this is going ... nowhere. but dreaming can be fun and not cost much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast