Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Finally found a 10-10

Boolit Master

Finally found a 10-10

For no apparent reason, I have wanted an Ohaus or RCBS 10-10 scale. I don't know if it is the micrometer poise with locking screw that appealed to me (I get very frustrated when a poise moves unintentionally) or if it was just the cool factor, but I had to have one. Unfortunately I am cheap and always considered $100+ too much for a used scale or a new one from China when RCBS started producing them there. Well I finally found one on eBay the other day for $70 OBO. It wasn't perfect as the aluminum wire connecting the pan support to the bar had been replaced with a length or rebar tie wire and therefore the pan support weight was out of spec (by about 3 grains). I figured I would kick myself if I didn't at least make an offer, so I offered $60 and the seller accepted. It arrived the other day and it took me all of 5 minutes to adjust the pan support weight. It still needs a good cleaning, but the knife edges look good and so do the bearings. My test weights seem to indicate that a good cleaning will have it right back to like new performance. It will go well with my Ohaus 5-0-5

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10-10.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	218206
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	not zero.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	218207
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rtracy2001 View Post
    It wasn't perfect as the aluminum wire connecting the pan support to the bar had been replaced with a length or rebar tie wire and therefore the pan support weight was out of spec (by about 3 grains).
    Contact RCBS, I'd be willing to bet they can provide you with a new hanger for the pan.

Boolit Buddy

Congrats on finding the 10-10. Mine sits near my electronic scale and gets used quite a bit. Like The Dar said above, contact RCBS and I'm betting they would ship a new hanger.

Boolit Master

I started my own Reloading setup in 1974. My first scale was an RCBS 10-10. I had to skip lunches for a week. But it was worth it. I had to send it back to RCBS about 25yrs ago. Otherwise it has functioned FANTASTICALLY for 44 YEARS.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Great find, be aware though that RCBS is no longer fully supporting these scales and parts availability can be hit or miss.

I got lucky and found a 10-10, but my workhorse is been its overlooked little brother the 5-10 which has the same beam/poise configuration but without the 250g add on weight hanger on a smaller base. I really haven't found the need to weigh the additional 250-500g of anything

Boolit Master
    eBay is the place to find them. I recently got an Ohaus 5-0-5, mint in box, made in USA there. It is dead accurate.

Choice of scales is at times more personal than some guys choice in women. That said I have had: Lee safety scale, RCBS 502, 505, 1010, Hornady something, Dillon, and a Lyman. Settled on the 505. To me easiest, most repeatable to use. Never questioned the accuracy.

Liked the 1010, personally think it wasn't as easy to use as the 505.

Having sold very high end digital scales in a prior life, think start price $1000 then start climbing quickly I'm still amazed a mass produced scale as the RCBS can work as well as it does.

Metricmonkewrench, I'm with you.
    I cant understand why the 5-10 is overlooked. I have one in my casting area that I use to weigh boolits out of the mold. The capacity is half of the 10-10 but I don't recall ever using the added weight on the 10-10. I must admit I use a Ohaus version of the RCBS 304 for most of my scale needs. Now that's a scale.

Boolit Grand Master

I have used my 5-10 for roughly 35 years now with absolutely no problems. They are a very good scales. I also have an rcbs 304 a redding oil dampened a rcbs 505 and gem pro.
    That aluminum hanger can be bent up from 3/32 ( .093) aluminum rod pretty easily with a set of pliers and some dowels for forms. I have made them for friends in the past. A wood dowel or round object the size of the ring. Form the ring so it clips snugly to the pan bases ring. then simply form the rest out as needed and you wont be able to tell the difference.

Banned
    I picked up a four foot piece of aluminum electric high tension wire from a construction project. It's woven #6 wire is perfect for forming pan hangers.
    Ken

Boolit Man
    Awesome scale. Still trying to con my dad out of his.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have two of them. One RCBS and one Ohaus.
    I like my old Pacific better.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    Great find, be aware though that RCBS is no longer fully supporting these scales and parts availability can be hit or miss.

I got lucky and found a 10-10, but my workhorse is been its overlooked little brother the 5-10 which has the same beam/poise configuration but without the 250g add on weight hanger on a smaller base. I really haven't found the need to weigh the additional 250-500g of anything
    I will give RCBS a call as soon as I can. I didn't know about the 5-10, looks nice. No integral storage case, but still nice.

I like the aluminum wire idea, and I can always haunt ebay to find a similar scale support to rob the wire from. In the meantime and once I get time to clean it up, I think it will work as is.
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not familiar with your scale. You mentioned that it is off a bit from the hanger. Is there a cavity on the bottom where you can remove a screw and add/remove weight? I have an RCBS 304 scale that can. If yours has a cavity add a bit of tumbling media and you should be able to get it dead on.

Boolit Master

Nice find. Congrats.

I have the identical Ohaus model. I mostly use the RCBS 5-0-5, but the 10-10 is very handy for heavier weight measurements. I'm not sure if RCBS will help you since that is not branded by them. However there are RCBS replacement scale pan support assemblies from Midway. Should be the right spec for your Ohaus.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/17...2-505-510-1010

I had a 10-10 for a few years, lost it in the house fire. Now I have a 505 that was sent to me by a member here to help me get started. Personally I prefer the 505. Its easier to use and faster to set up. I could see how it might get out of adjustment accidentally compared to the locking 10-10 adjustment. However... Im careful with my scale. The 10-10s main attraction for me was that it stored in itself. Easy for transport or whatever.