Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Corian counter tops for reloading

Boolit Buddy

Corian counter tops for reloading

Would a corian counter top be strong enough to mount a press or 2 on for reloading? I can buy 2 used tops about 23 x 65 inches for around 40 bucks

Thanks all.

Boolit Master
    Corian is just a plastic, you may have to reinforce the sub-base. It depends on how they were built, the newer ones are thinner material with a thicker sub-base. The Corian sink cut out I use as a cutting board is about a 1/2" thick.

Boolit Master
    I would not see any advantage to corian on press board, which is what a countertop usually is, over 2 layers of 3/4” plywood glued together back to back (helps to flatten) with a 2x4 support structure.

If it is just the corian, then no it isn’t strong enough by a long shot.

Boolit Buddy

Good info. Thanks .

Boolit Buddy
    Id say yes if you backed it with something and bolted through both layers when mount things. But I have a bad habit of over engineer things. Let us know how it works out if you do go that route

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by CraigOK View Post
    Id say yes if you backed it with something and bolted through both layers when mount things. But I have a bad habit of over engineer things. Let us know how it works out if you do go that route
    Will do.

I have been using a solid core door for years. I glued laminate flooring to the side I use. Works for me.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Buddy

Looks like I missed out getting these tops. Thanks for the advise.

I have a solid core door as well. Commercial door - 1 3/4" See if you can find a "seconds" supplier someplace local. They don't need to be real pretty to do the job. If perfect they can be expensive, but "seconds" you can get much cheaper and they are strong.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

I have used corian scraps for loading blocks, seen it used for pistol grips also. On a good solid frame work it should be okay but may have some compression issues under heavy use. It would make a nice smooth easily cleaned top though. My bench tops are on a good solid frame work and 2 X 8s with the edges cut square and doweled together. Makes a very solid heavy top. One top is a butcher block style made from 2/4s on edge, and 1" wood dowels thru them every 12". This top has very little to no flex or give. The draw back is the work that went into it. and finding bolts long enough to go thru the tools and bench top.

Boolit Master
    I broke a Corian counter top the very first time I tried to size a .223 case with my press c-clamped to it. Just saying.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Corian by itself no. I would reinforce the underside with 1/2" or 3/4" plywood. Nice thing about Corian it will be easy to clean up spills and the like.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    counter tops reinforced with 3/4 plywood work but over 2x12 bench are strong enough for any press work. remember a lot of older counter tops have rounded water runbacks they break when press tighten down and used.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks guys. I did not get the tops.