MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: How to find the correct scope mount?

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

How to find the correct scope mount?

A few months ago I traded for a sporterized Mod 1917. It needs a little TLC but has great potential. I have been searching for a one piece scope mount with no success. I've bought 2 I thought would be correct but no-go.
    One was for a REM 700 LA and the other Win M70 Magnum. Gun show finds so I'm not into them for much.

How can I find a mount that will work. Because there is only one rear mounting hole I think I need to stick with a 1 piece.
    Thanks for any help... JohnAttachment 218192 click to enlarge
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Since the issue rear sight ears appear to have been ground off, it's Hobson's choice as to how much it was ground, or what base would fit it.

I think you're going to have to pass on what looks correct, and get a mount base designated to fit the Enfield, hoping that whomever ground the receiver bridge down did it to a spec that would take an off-the-shelf mount base.

One hole at the rear usually means a Redfield base, but IDK if a (new) Burris or Leupold base would fit.

You can google "Leupold scope mount chart" or "Burris scope mount chart", to see if they currently offer a base for your P-17.

Alternately, you can purchase a "gusmithing" rail from Brownell's & have it fitted to your rifle.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy

Other than measuring the holes in the action center to center. I can't imagine there being any other solution.
    Jeff

Boolit Grand Master

Along with the hole spacing which can vary from the person who drill and taped it, possibly for a outdated or obsolete mount. You also need to know it there is an offset between the front and rear receiver rings and how much it is. A straight edge laid across the top front to rear will show this and can be measured with feeler gages. I would remove from stock and clamp the edge to the tallest ring then measure carefully.

Boolit Master
    If the height and radius of the receiver bridge is the same as the receiver ring you need a Rem Model 30 base.They're probably not made anymore.You might find one at a gunshow or on EBay.

Boolit Master
    A Rem Model 30 base is a weaver #11 but that will not work with a single hole in the rear I have a burris base with twist in mounts on one of my P-17's It is a one piece mount.
    Last edited by tdoor4570; 04-11-2018 at 10:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    Never found out why the manufacturers took the time and effort to do the oblong recess in the rear receiver rings. Supposedly Remington was the only one that didn't mill the "duck pond". Anyway, I did remove the rear receiver ears on a Winchester '06 enfield years ago using a coarse cup wheel in an old drill press. After about 20 or so years sent it out to get drilled and tapped as well as having the piece of steel I had filed down to fit that recess.They tig welded the piece I sent which was left high for final fitting.I did roughly contour the rear ring and the smith did remark that it was very close to what he would have done. Will dig it out and see what the numbers are on the weaver steel grand slam bases are. I had polished the steel with a home made rig but found a couple rust spots so redid it and while they had it, requested they bead blast before bluing. Bbl had been shortened to 22" cost me about $60 when I bought it. Always been a sucker for these orphans. if going with weaver or other two piece mounts consider getting the recess filled and then they can drill and tap as usual. Redfield did make one piece mounts some with the three holes. Two on the front receiver and one in the back. Frank
    Last edited by samari46; 04-11-2018 at 11:24 PM.

I might have a Buehler one piece base. But then you need Buehler rings. I'll look & get back to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I found two Buehlers; one for round rear bridge and one for flat rear 1917 Enfield. One of these might work but you'll need Buehler rings. PM if you wamt them.
    Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Pulled the '17 30-06 from the safe. Front steel Weaver Grand Slam base is marked S40A, rear strangely isn't marked anywhere, however a good straight ruler (starret) shows both even and level with each other. Sorry about the rear base not being marked though. Thought all of them were marked. Frank

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Searching the web I found a Redfield 1 piece for Rem 30 / Sporterized P17. It's on an auction site so I need to out-bid 1 bidder, so far.
    Didn't mention, the rifle has been converted to 30/338 Win Mag so I'd like to keep the mount as strong as possible.

Thanks for all the suggestions, John
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Boolit Master
    John, check with Burris regarding their rings for that Redfield base.They as far as I know offer them with the inserts that prevent any scope damage. The reason I went with the Weaver Grand Slam steel bases was that the had their Zee rings with the inserts and basically do not use any other brand. Seen too many scopes damaged by not having the rings properly aligned or tightened down like the lug nuts on a Kenworth diesel rig. Little story here. Buddy had one of the Bushnell high priced scopes mounted on his Ruger bolt action rifle. Kept having problems with the scope (Ruger rings) took the scope off and deep and I mean deep rings all around the scope body. Turned out the rings were not properly machined and there were raised rings on the rings. Had to file them down and then lap the rings to almost 90% contact. What turned out to be a quicky job lasted almost 4 hours due to the amount of lapping required. Not so with Burris rings with the inserts. Sako the Finnish firearms company when I bought my Sako 75 in 30-06 used inserts in their rings. No scope damage or slippage. Hope you get the scope base your after. Frank