Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: Unusual Questions on PCing and GC's

Question Unusual Questions on PCing and GC's

Hi, I have some questions on powdercoating boolits that already have a gas check on them.

1) I know that at times gas checks need to be annealed to be able to mount them, whether by hand or with a sizer.

A) what is the temp required to anneal GC's?

B) If a GC is already on the boolit and then one would PC the boolit will or would there be an adverse effect on the GC? Would baking the PC cause or ruin the GC, essentionally because while baking the PCing, I am assuming it could or would be annealing the GC again.

I don't have a mold for this particular boolit or I would PC first then install the GC and size the boolit, but that is not the case here.

I freely admit that I don't know enough to answer my own thoughts & questions.

I would appreciate any info/opinions on this.

TYIA, SharuLady

200c for 1 hr will do it. So, yes GC gets annealed during baking if long enough. But annealing to get GC soft for installation is sometimes needed.
    Whatever!

OK, 200* C equates to approx. 392F. So, baking the PCing for the 10 to 20 min would not cause a problem with the GC since it needs to bake the GC for 1 hr.?

TY, SharuLady

Quote Originally Posted by SharuLady View Post
    Hi, I have some questions on powder coating boolits that already have a gas check on them.

1) I know that at times gas checks need to be annealed to be able to mount them, whether by hand or with a sizer.

A) what is the temp required to anneal GC's?

B) If a GC is already on the boolit and then one would PC the boolit will or would there be an adverse effect on the GC? Would baking the PC cause or ruin the GC, essentionally because while baking the PCing, I am assuming it could or would be annealing the GC again.

I don't have a mold for this particular boolit or I would PC first then install the GC and size the boolit, but that is not the case here.

I freely admit that I don't know enough to answer my own thoughts & questions.

I would appreciate any info/opinions on this.

TYIA, SharuLady
    200c for 1 hr. will do it. So, yes GC gets annealed during baking if long enough. But annealing to get GC soft for installation is sometimes needed.

Boolit Buddy
    I install the GC and size bullets after PC

Boolit Grand Master
    I have never had to anneal gas checks to install them
    seems like more work than needed.. for me anyway
    either I install before I PC or after and have never seen
    any difference in performance in the boolits
    just bake my boolits at 400° for 12-15 min
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Correct. Annealing is NOT to make it easier to install. It is to soften the Cu and relieve stress in work hardened Cu. Annealing is a time vs temp thing - what I quote is from semiconductor industry tech data - a low temp anneal which appears to be the best way. As a note, cooking Cu checks for 15 min does give a slightly different 'color' to the checks so they may be a little softer from the short cook.
    i have normally used the torch method and get ~MOA with 308W @ 200 and pushed hard. Got a batch cooking @ 400F now, we'll see. I'll add a note: when playing with hitek GC boolits I found some had popped off or were crooked after cooking. Outgassing of solvent popped them off. As GC are lubed during manuf. same could be occurring.
    Last edited by popper; 04-12-2018 at 10:55 AM.
    Whatever!

Hi, As I stated in the OP:

I was kindly given these 20 boolits from a gentleman that lives nearby me. He no longer has the rifle that he was loading for (30-30). I should have asked him if he still had the mold & if he was interested in selling it. I should have also asked him what he had planned to lube them with also. Oh well, so much for hind thought.
    BTW, I have weighed and measured them- weight was 178 gr. ( sized to 309).

What I am doing is working up some boolits for our 2 (30-30). I have some other 30-30 boolits (Mold is a (Lyman- 311041 - 2 cavity) from George (BrassMagnet) that are lubed with the Lube Grease & GC as well. I will also be using these as they are but also I have made some BLL and did 3 light coats on some of these as well. So..... with the above That will give me 3 types to test in our rifles and also that this will be fire-forming the cases as well. (of course the cases from ea. 30-30 will be kept separated after firing.)

Oh ok, the annealing softens the Cu and relieve stress in work hardened Cu. That makes it clearer & more sense.

TY to one & all for your info/opinions. It is appreciated! SharuLady
    Last edited by SharuLady; 04-12-2018 at 12:33 PM. Reason: forgot some info