RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Henry 44 magnum

I like the tube magazine on my 22 mag a lot better than the side gate on my Marlins and the Mossberg 464. Easier to load and unload as mentioned. Also I would bet the tube loading mags don't smash bullet noses and leave a brass residue like the loading gate does. I like the Henry's, don't have one, as I am lever poor but would like one.

DEP

Boolit Man
    LOL...yeah.. and they never pinch your fingers. Loading the big caliber tube mags is even easier for me. I pull the inner tube all the way out and tilt the gun at maybe 30 degrees and just drop in the rounds from the top.. you can hold the inner tube under your armpit while doing this... I think the Henry's are extremely safe guns for this feature (making unloading safe) and for the transfer bar which takes nothing from the gun and simply adds Ruger revolver like peace of mind.

I have not shot the 22 caliber Henry's but folks tell me the guns are a hoot.

lazs

Henry 22's are a hoot.

DEP

Quote Originally Posted by lazs View Post
    I have an early brass Henry 44 mag and it really will not cycle the keith type SWC.. it likes most everything else. It is a very smooth gun and like some here I went with the skinner sight which is more old eye friendly.

As for the tube mag... and how it loads.. it is WAY faster to load if you have to load more than one or two. It is WAY safer to unload. just dump em out.. and the transfer bar is something that should be on every lever gun. a safety on a lever gun is... well.. ugly.

lazs
    I put a skinner sight on mine as well - I LOVE it. It is super accurate! I did a shooting comp the other day and I was against guys with AR15s with scopes - I didn't win, but I was in the upper 1/2. Target acquisition is super fast.

Boolit Man
    With the stock semi buckhorn style sight I simply could not get consistent accuracy at 50 yards... I know it is my eyes but my much younger friends had trouble too... i think it depends on lighting and glare. With the skinner all that is eliminated. The accuracy is a good as my best stock sight groups but far more consistent.

lazs

Boolit Master

I've had a UBERTI Henry for almost 30yrs. I've 3 brass tube loaders that hold 6 rounds a piece for almost that long. I've feed it only RNFP, 1st a MAGMA 210gr , then an RCBS 200GR CM. So I have never bothered to try any SWC.
    But dropping a tube full of cartridges straight down is a recipe for disaster. I feed my Henry at 45degrees. I've seen a Henry come apart by someone dropping rounds straight down into the tube. Usually the second or 3rd round. Even saw one of those short-lived MARLIN 1894's in .32 H&R Mag blow up that way. Shooter was using the Lee 32-100gr RN. Some folks just don't listen.
    Don't care much for those pot-metal new henry's. Haven't seen one of the new replica's of the "1860's" so I can't speak to the quality of them.

I grew up shooting WINCHESTER & MARLIN Lever Guns. Just don't understand the problems folks have with loading gates. While I've never even seen a MOSSBERG 464, I can't speak to how It's loading gate works.
    I've owned & shot WINCHESTER 1873's, 1886's,1892's , 1894's and 71's. I've also owned and shot replica 1886's, 71's, 1892's and 1866's made by BROWNING(Japan), UBERTI (Italy) & ROSSI (Brazil).
    I just HAVE NO PROBLEM with the side loading gate.
    I've used plenty of .22 Rifles with tube magazines that are feed from the end by removing the inner mag tube. Don't mind them at all. If you can't master a side loading gate, I guess the henry's are just right for you.

I suppose these days with the REAL WINCHESTER 94 being out of producton for 12years, that folks no longer can buy an affordable Lever Gun to learn on.
    Last edited by Walks; 05-22-2018 at 02:15 PM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    Walks--

Specific to the 357 Magnum levergun question--I would have loved to buy either a Miroku/Winchester 1892, or a Marlin 1894C with the side-gate, but both have been unobtainium for several years. I got tired of waiting on gunmakers or sellers to get their act in gear, so I opted for the Henry Big Boy/steel receiver. I have enough sense to NOT let live cartridges free-fall down a mag tube. I pull the spring tube back to just clear the loading port, then set 1-3 cartridges in and push them down to the magazine's endpoint. It is an accurate, tractable rifle that I enjoy shooting very much.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I've been wanting a .357 lever gun for a while. I avoided the Henry because of the loading tube. Well a month ago I impulse bought a Henry Big Boy Brass in .357 Mag. Glad I did. Very well made and lots of fun. My old eyes didn't like the buckhorn rear sight so I installed a Skinner barrel mount peep sight. Much better. This rifle is becoming my favorite plinker.
    Cliff
    FPD, NRA Lifer, USN retired

Boolit Master
    I have been thinking about getting one of the 44 Mags. But how does it feed with 44 Special? I expect that it would be a problem with semi-wadcutters, but was wondering if round nose will feed ok?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    I have been thinking about getting one of the 44 Mags. But how does it feed with 44 Special? I expect that it would be a problem with semi-wadcutters, but was wondering if round nose will feed ok?
    My .357 feeds .38 Special SWC just fine. I would think the .44 Mag would be the same.
    Cliff
    FPD, NRA Lifer, USN retired

Boolit Man
    The problem for me... for my Henry.. with SWC bullets it that they are too long. They simply jam up the gun. you can feed em one at a time through the ejection port of course. The same bullet loaded in 44 spl cases will feed since the overall length is shorter. The Henry is no different in that regard than my brothers Marlin... neither will feed the 44 mag SWC but both will feed the 44 spl with the same bullet. Why 44 mag lever gun makers do not just make it so the carrier is longer I have no idea. it is barely a 1/16" more needed.

As for loading.. I tilt the gun just enough so the rounds slide down the tube. It is pretty easy to get the hang of really.

I just took the Henry out for the day with a friend and I had forgot how much fun it is plinking with this little carbine.

lazs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12