RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry 44 magnum

Boolit Buddy

Henry 44 magnum

First rifle for me for he purpose of shooting cast. I took it to the range this morning. First up was 2 factory and 2 handloads with jacketed. At 100 yards it shot to the sights with all 4. Didn't have to adjust for windage or elevation. That was interesting. I had some subsonic 240 swc's from my pistol days. They shot to the sights at 50 yards. Huh!!! When I got home I purposely looked for any barrel leading. Nope none whatever. Put some Hoppe's in the barrel and let me that sit awhile. No blue, green on the patches. Oh yeah, it cycles cast RFP and SWC'S flawlessly. It will definetly be a cast gun for me. Next up will be using the chrono to check the velocity of the cast load.

Boolit Master
    Congrats on the nice gun and the fact that it is a shooter. It will serve you well. Thanks for the pic.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    My .357 Henry was right on the money too. They do a nice job putting them together.

Boolit Buddy

Both my Henry .41 & .44 were dead on out of the box. Sweet lever guns.

Boolit Buddy

I have the Big Boy Brass in 44 with a two tone Skinner Express peep sight. Sweet looker and shooter.
    Last edited by GMW; 04-15-2018 at 12:15 PM.
    Ore'mus
    Flintlocks Rock!

It's very interesting that Henry adjusts sights. That is a step above.

Our Mills Fleet Farm recently redid their whole firearms display area. Instead of 3 shotguns and 2 AR's they now have an area that is at least 30 feet by 50 feet. 3 long display cases full of pistols.

And Henry rifles have a nice long rack all to themselves.

Been drooling over the octagonal barreled brass frame .44 mag and the .357mag.
    Both look sweet.

Boolit Master
    Yea Mills Fleet Farm really are doing the shooting sports part of their stores well very impressive on the renovated layout and look. They have no issue selling all types of guns.

I need to try one sometime just to use the tube loading feature, I know some balk at that but it’s most likely easier and faster to load a full magazine. It might be slower if you just add a cartridge or 2.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    The original Henry 1860 was available with a tube loader unit.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Our Mills Fleet Farm recently redid their whole firearms display area. Instead of 3 shotguns and 2 AR's they now have an area that is at least 30 feet by 50 feet. 3 long display cases full of pistols.

And Henry rifles have a nice long rack all to themselves.

Been drooling over the octagonal barreled brass frame .44 mag and the .357mag.
    Both look sweet.
    Yep the new owners of Mills Fleet Farm are stepping up

http://www.startribune.com/with-new-...tor/455020903/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good morning
    The original Henry 1860 was available with a tube loader unit.
    Mike in Peru

True, until the Kings patent loading gate came along in time for the 1866. Winchester never looked back and it seems the customers who banked on their rifles didn't either.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    My .357 Henry was right on the money too. They do a nice job putting them together.
    What Charlie said, regarding my steel-frame Henry 357 Big Boy. It is tons of fun.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I have a H012 steel in 44 mag. The sights were pretty much on, but I bought a skinner peep and front sight. Now the sights are bang on!

Boolit Master
    I just put a lyman MJT20 globe on mine. Have to see if the little adjustable leaf on the rear can compensate for the extra height. Going out today in this fine weather for some plinking. My son has a BB brass in .357 and has been doing well shooting silhouette out in PA. Knocked 8 rams down in a row at 200m last Sunday.

Moderator Emeritus

"Oh yeah, it cycles cast RFP and SWC'S flawlessly. It will definetly be a cast gun for me."

I, too, have one of these in my stable. Might you provide the MOULDS you cast your working cast bullets from? Thanks! geo

My mould for .44 mag is a 4 cavity mould from Accurate moulds that has 2 cavities in 240-A and 2 cavities in 240-AG. Basically the same design just one is gas checked and one is plain base. They cycle flawlessly in my Henry H012 and I shoot them in my Ruger Redhawk.

Moderator Emeritus

Thank you -- my mould of choice has been the SAECO 441-240 -- a .44 Rem Mag SWC “Keith” style 2-cavity 240 grain mould, which functions well in my Henry and Uberti long guns as well as handgun in this caliber. I may very well look into the 240-AG -- I have no issue with putting a gas check on.
    geo

With those 240-AGs I have a W296 load that is 23.5 grn (not quite max) and then I do a 21 grn load of 2400. Both of those are solid loads that kick like Chuck Norris in the revolver, but are pretty reasonable in the lever gun.

Boolit Man
    I have an early brass Henry 44 mag and it really will not cycle the keith type SWC.. it likes most everything else. It is a very smooth gun and like some here I went with the skinner sight which is more old eye friendly.

As for the tube mag... and how it loads.. it is WAY faster to load if you have to load more than one or two. It is WAY safer to unload. just dump em out.. and the transfer bar is something that should be on every lever gun. a safety on a lever gun is... well.. ugly.

lazs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast