Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
PBcastcoWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Ding in Lee Mold

Boolit Man

Ding in Lee Mold

Hey guys, just received this mold in the mail. Was examining it after unboxing and found two small dings on the edge of the mold block that prevent it from completely closing. Would you guys recommend returning it or is there an easy fix?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF4487.jpg   DSCF4488.jpg  

Send it back, should have been right in the first place. If you try to stone it off you would own it then.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

If it was a ding on the edge of a cavity then I would say send it back. A few strokes with a fine file will take that off. Far less trouble than packing it up and paying for postage.

That sucks, if not much of a hassle like Brownells I’d return it.

Since it’s on the edge of the block I might be inclined to tread lightly with sandpaper wrapped on a ruler. Doesn’t look like it would need much
    A nice cigar makes a bad day good and a good day great.

Boolit Master
    Stoning it off will be quick and easy a few minutes of time and it will be fine

Super Moderator

Easy fix, a fine triangle file is your friend. Again, if was on the edge of the cavity I'd return it. I dropped a brand new Noe mold once, it got damaged worse than that one and still was an easy fix with the file.

Boolit Master

I would notify the shipper, see what they say, but if they want you to pay postage then I'd just file it down and be done with it.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Man
    I'm not seeing anything wrong with the mold

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by Boogedy_Man View Post
    I'm not seeing anything wrong with the mold
    expand the picture on the right, its a bit better

Boolit Master

expanded it and don't see anything either
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master

If the packaging wasn't showing damage it came from factory like this more than likely. I would lightly clean it up with some very fine sandpaper backed by something flat. A popcycle stick works good here, just rubber cement a piece of 600 grit paper to if folded over to cover both sides ( gives more glue surface). blacken around ding with a magic marker, this allows you to see progress you making. I would even recommend a drop of fine oil on the paper to cut even finer. There is less to remove than you think. Work slow with a light touch.

We used to fix moulds at work that were dinged with a small rounded punch and 4 ounce hammer slowly and carefully moving the raised metal back to where it came from. Here its not really needed. I have done this for a couple on here that had dings in cavities on moulds that weren't replaceable.

If it were mine i would take a fine or extra fine diamond hone to it and ever so gently ease that edge. If you don't own one it is a good excuse to get one and it will probably be cheaper than return postage. A fine file or sandpaper as suggested above will also work just dandy but I always enjoy an opportunity to get a new tool.
    SPJ

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    expanded it and don't see anything either
    What damage.....Where, I don't see anything either.
    Gary

Wait....you mean that miniscule dit on the exterior of the block....my word just take care of that with some backed 600 grit wet or dry , that dit will not hurt a thing. I normally smooth off all the edges , inside and out , with some backed 600 wet or dry, the block top and the underside of the sprue plate...that's just normal new lee mould preparation. Lee doesn't hand finish the exteriors so smoothing the rough edges is a good thing to do.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 04-14-2018 at 06:46 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I don't see anything either, but if it is a small ding not at the cavity I too would file it down, using a stone on aluminium just gums up the stone. Finish the repair with fine wet sandpaper. However before doing this make sure it is the ding causing the mold not to close and not the pins or other problem because at the present it's their problem once you cut on it then it's your problem.

Boolit Master
    I am a little bit curious on what ya decided to do...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    I am a little bit curious on what ya decided to do...
    I phoned the company that sold it to me to ask if I could get a replacement. They asked for pictures of the damage and said if Lee would warranty it then I wouldn't have to pay for shipping. Still waiting for a reply, though. If they pay for shipping I'll return it, not in a super big hurry. But I think if they want me to pay shipping I'll try one of the fixes you guys suggested!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thirtythirty View Post
    I phoned the company that sold it to me to ask if I could get a replacement. They asked for pictures of the damage and said if Lee would warranty it then I wouldn't have to pay for shipping. Still waiting for a reply, though. If they pay for shipping I'll return it, not in a super big hurry. But I think if they want me to pay shipping I'll try one of the fixes you guys suggested!
    Thanks for the update!

Hope you hear from them soon & it is an exchange. Otherwise, G'Luck! with the method you decide on to try to fix it.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o