Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Smith & Wesson Shield 380

Boolit Master

Smith & Wesson Shield 380

Anybody have any experience with the Shield 380?

Boolit Mold
    have one use it for pocket carry have about 250 rounds threw it runs great more accurate then I can shoot it. A friend has one with the laser to me to much hassel,
    Bruce

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceP. View Post
    have one use it for pocket carry have about 250 rounds threw it runs great more accurate then I can shoot it. A friend has one with the laser to me to much hassel,
    Bruce
    Shield or Bodyguard?

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one of the 380 Shield EZ's as a house gun for my wife. Ergonomics are very good and slide racking force is so light that I can easily rack it with two fingers. Trigger pull is better than usual plastic pistols because it's hammer fired.
    I put a Crimson Trace rail mounted green laser on the picatinny rail. A friend of mine bought one for his wife as well and set it up the same way.
    So far so good with the EZ. The EZ is a handy gun and way more comfortable to shoot than the tiny Bodyguard 380 which has a heavy double action trigger and not much grip to hang on to.
    Other friends I've shown the gun to all have liked it as well.
    Jason

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Neat gun, but I like my Glock 42 better. It's a little smaller and very easy to shoot even with +P. Even though I have problems with my left hand fingers I find the 42 easy to rack.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I had a G42 but my wife took it from me, I have 9mm and 40S&W Shields and like them but I carry a G43. I'm thinking I could get the Shield 380 and be able to keep it for myself. Have you guys seen the sort of recall on them.
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/mp-380-...sumer-advisory

No offence to anyone. But, I'm always amazed that anybody would own anything other than a PPK 380.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I got an EZ on the way. I'll have to let you know later.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    No offence to anyone. But, I'm always amazed that anybody would own anything other than a PPK 380.
    I used to think the same thing- 40 years ago. Then a friend put a Browning BDA 380 in my hand. It was/is sooo much softer shooting and thus easier to shoot, which made it easier to hit with. And it’s a hi cap gun.
    Sounds great, but it is not near as easy to conceal if that is your goal.

While I have no problems with the PPK (I own 2), some folks get the web of their hand cut up by the slide.

I can go on and on. It boils down to what feels best in your hand and how well you shoot it.

The Llama 380 mini 1911 feels great to me. The Remington RM380 is probably the best all metal concealed 380 on the market for a fantastic price. It comes from the semi custom lineage of the Rohrbaugh R9. But if you can’t shoot it well what good is it?
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 04-12-2018 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Content
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Mold
    Sorry mine is a body guard I don't stay up on all the models didn't know they made a shield 380. I also have a Shield in 9mm and it shoots well also
    Bruce

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceP. View Post
    Sorry mine is a body guard I don't stay up on all the models didn't know they made a shield 380. I also have a Shield in 9mm and it shoots well also
    Bruce
    I also didn't know they made a Shield 380 until I read about it the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    I used to think the same thing- 40 years ago. Then a friend put a Browning BDA 380 in my hand. It was/is sooo much softer shooting and thus easier to shoot, which made it easier to hit with. And it’s a hi cap gun.
    Sounds great, but it is not near as easy to conceal if that is your goal.

While I have no problems with the PPK (I own 2), some folks get the web of their hand cut up by the slide.

I can go on and on. It boils down to what feels best in your hand and how well you shoot it.

The Llama 380 mini 1911 feels great to me. The Remington RM380 is probably the best all metal concealed 380 on the market for a fantastic price. It comes from the semi custom lineage of the Rohrbaugh R9. But if you can’t shoot it well what good is it?
    You might be right, I haven't actually seen any of the pistols being discussed on this forum. I shoot a PPK about as well as any of my other 3.5" barrel guns. When I'm in LA., I'll see if I can rent some of the new guns at the indoor ranges. Thanks for the tip, I hadn't considered that newer designs might be easier to shoot.

I have a Witness Pavona 380 that I bought last summer and love it. Have also just handled the new Shield EZ380 and believe one will be my wife's birthday present come July. The capacity is less than the Pavona but not being a blowback gun it should be much nicer to shoot. And seeing that I reload the 380 it is as cheap to shoot as the 9mm.

I had a PPK 380 by Interarmco yes it would bite me sometimes but it would stay on a B27 target at 50 yds. 2 hand standing. I traded it for a SP101, I miss it but some of the critters we have around require a bigger gun
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master
    I have a PPKS but just looking at other options.

I also have a Kimber Micro, and I wouldn't trade it for any other small .380. Weighs less than the PPK, about the same size, and very easy to shoot.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

In 1962, I had a Llama 1911 style pocket .380. The gun was a wonderful little piece but pretty worn out so it went down the road. Over the years I have acquired 2 Colt Government Model .380s with several spare magazines. They are the best little pistols I have ever owned; far superior to the later Mustang and Pony by Colt. They conceal well, are easy to shoot and very accurate, 6 inch gong at 25 yards is easy. Now days, I think the Kimber Micro and the little SIG fill that role and if I did not own the Colts, one of those two would be mine. Far better than any plastic pistol.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

From what I can tell, the Kimber is a Mustang copy and all or most parts will interchange. The Sig has some parts interchange. I ordered some Sig parts for mine as they cost about half of Kimber parts. I found the mags, springs, slide release interchange. Firing pin is just different enough not to work, meaning the firing pin safety probably doesn't either.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I didn't know about the Shield 380 EZ until a short time ago either. I've got the brass, molds, dies etc. for .380 - just nothing to shoot it in at the present time so I've been half heartedly looking to see what I could find. From what I've seen of the Shield 380 EZ on the videos I've watched, it looks like a decent shooter and has a lot going for it. It may not be everybody's "cup of tea" but for many, I can see the appeal of it. I have a 9mm Shield that I like a lot - and that's saying a lot for me as I'm pretty much a "revolver guy". The 380 EZ certainly isn't a "pocket gun" - unless you've got big pockets - but I'm looking for a 380 fun gun for plinking, taking to shoot with friends, etc. so it looks like a good possibility that I'll pick one up if I can find one in the LGS or have them order one when I get back to Michigan in a few weeks.

The one advantage that I see to the 380 EZ is the ease of racking it, loading the mags and simple breakdown. I've got a friend that's 84 and he has a Bodyguard. He struggles at racking the darn little thing, etc. so I'm hoping I can get him to look at the 380 EZ as it would work well in his situation for plinking/target shooting as well as a HD in the nightstand drawer.
    I'm thinking that the 380 EZ will be a winner for Smith in the market niche it is designed for - women shooters, older guys like me who have arthritis in the hands, etc. It may not be for everyone but I'm glad to see in this thread that those that either have one or have shot one, like 'em.

The one question I have is how is the delivery and availability of them at this point? If I remember correctly, they came out around February. Are they up to production on them so there isn't a long wait? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    I have a Witness Pavona 380 that I bought last summer and love it. Have also just handled the new Shield EZ380 and believe one will be my wife's birthday present come July. The capacity is less than the Pavona but not being a blowback gun it should be much nicer to shoot. And seeing that I reload the 380 it is as cheap to shoot as the 9mm.
    My wife also carries a Pavona 380, it is one fantastic gun for a fair price. The grip is extremely ergo for a double stack, not a pocket gun though, could easily be concealed but she open carries hers. She keeps a NAA mini revolver in her pocket.

Kudos to S&W for the EZ, looks like it is going to be hit on the market.