Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Kimber 82 Government Front sight

Boolit Master

Kimber 82 Government Front sight

I have a "Rusty" Kimber 82 Government that I have misplaced the inserts for the front globe sight. Does anyone know where I can find replacements?
    Thanks for your help.

Banned
    So, this is a rifle?

Standard 18mm that the lyman olympic front sight or anschutz uses.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Forrest. I knew that if anyone had the answer, it would probably be you.
    6bg: Yes, surplus US target 22 LR sold by the CMP.

Boolit Grand Master

Those at very good rifles. It is rumored they went from delivered into storage at the AMU and very few were actually shot much. Mine looked like it was new out of the box other than a cut in the side where someone used a utility knife to open the bag it was in. Mine shoots great with good ammo.

I believe the CMP store still has inserts for those

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Those at very good rifles. It is rumored they went from delivered into storage at the AMU and very few were actually shot much. Mine looked like it was new out of the box other than a cut in the side where someone used a utility knife to open the bag it was in. Mine shoots great with good ammo.
    Both of mine and probably 10 more around the club were all unfired. All of them shoot ridiculously well for $400. Wouldn't sell either for double that.

Boolit Master
    There was a rather good article in the defunct "Precision Shooting" magazine. Sufficed to say that Kimber had a definite set of specs to follow when designing the Kimber 82 target rifle as set by the Gov't. I would hazard a guess that back then the different brands of 22 match ammo was way better then than what some manufacturers pass off as match ammo. Buddy of mine bought the Kimber and loves it. I didn't have the $$$ so got the H&R model 12 which sold for $300 with the Redfield Palma rear match sight and Redfield Globe front sight with an envelope full of inserts. Old eyes can't use the irons so looking for a way to mount a modern scope on it. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one of those Kimber 82 G's and could never get that thing to shoot. Tried all kinds of ammo, even tried trashy stuff. You never know some might have a taste for trash. I worked with that rifle of and on for about 5 years and finally sold it. I didn't lose any money and didn't know the guy that bought it so can't say what luck he had with it.
    Fast forward a year or so and I bought a H&R model 12. It always has shot like a dream. The only thing I can say that I don't like about the H&R is the pistol grip area is really thick. Now that's not too bad if that's the only gripe you can come up with, huh?

Boolit Master
    Kcajeel, the model 12 I have shoots great but the trigger leaves a lot to be desired. And what really gets me is that I passed on a spare model 12 stock for cheap. That is one high comb stock to shoot with irons. have to mash my cheek down on it. Frank