RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything

Thread: Steven single shot rifle barrels interchangeable?

Steven single shot rifle barrels interchangeable?

Hi, I have a stevens favorite in .32 RF and I was wondering if it would be possible to buy a .22 barrel at a gun show and slip it on to the receiver? Maybe the firing pin wouldnt align?

Boolit Master
    The Stevens 'Favorite' Breech Blocks that I have seen in both .22 RF and .32 RF hav ethe tip opening in different locations. I think it would be possible to fit an offset firing pin tip to adapt the ,32 To fire .22 bu ta Much Better Idea is to watch for a 'Favorite' .22 RF Breech Block on a Web site like "Ebay".

As 'luck' would have it, there is currently on Ebay an offering of NEW CNC manufacture '1915 Favorite' .22 Rf brech blocks (these measure .544" width using a Dial Caliper) made from 4150 Alloy Steel.

You did not specify which era 'Favorite' you have so measure your existing Breech Block width to see if these are useful to you.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-27-2018 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Corrected Width measurement entry.

Boolit Master
    You ought to take some measurements of the barrel socket in your Favorite receiver. Depending on when they were made, there are three or four different configurations of Favorite barrel shanks. The 1915 model is the only one that was finally standardized. Numrich used to sell replacement Favorite .22 barrels in this configuration.

A random .22 barrel made by someone else is unlikely to fit any Favorite. On the other hand, with a lathe, all things are possible.

The firing pin on a .25 breech block will generally hit the outside of a .22 rim OK. The .32 probably won’t.

I've recently been doing a number of Favorites. Confirming that a .32 firing pin won't hit either a .25 or .22 rim, even with an offset firing pin. Not even close, so re-angling the firing pin bore is a tricky bit of machining. Much better to find the right one on Gunbroker. Yes, a .22 firing bin will just catch the rim of a .25 cartridge and vice versa. (I just fitted a very rare "near-mint" .25 Stevens barrel to an early 1894 Favorite.)

Breechblocks come in two flavors, the early 7:00 extractor, and the later 6:00 extractor.

Favorite barrels found online are almost always somebody's cast-offs. Good ones rarely if ever show up. I've identified four variants; not just shank diameters but also among the later 1894 models the extractor widths vary. See the Wisner gun parts site for details.

If you have a lathe, and aren't fussy about originality, a very good replacement .22 barrel can be made from a Marlin Model 60 barrel. But between that and finding a breechblock, it's probably more than the gun is worth to convert a .32 to .22.

It is possible to buy a nice bit of .32 RF adapter brass from "tenmile" on gunbroker. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/764457684 It uses a #2 Ramset charge, and is thus reloadable. Not cheap, but do-able. He also has the correct heeled bullets from his Lyman 299153 mould. Read his listings carefully. Tenmile is an enthusiastic shooter of the .32 Long Colt and .32 Rimfire. I buy and use his brass, and I buy a lot of his bullets, because I am too. Even converted a .32 RF 1915 Favorite to centerfire, so I can use his .32 Long Colt components. (That's how I know that it's a tricky bit of machining.)
    Last edited by uscra112; 04-14-2018 at 08:08 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I've recently been doing a number of Favorites. Confirming that a .32 firing pin won't hit either a .25 or .22 rim, even with an offset firing pin. Not even close, so re-angling the firing pin bore is a tricky bit of machining. Much better to find the right one on Gunbroker. Yes, a .22 firing bin will just catch the rim of a .25 cartridge and vice versa. (I just fitted a very rare "near-mint" .25 Stevens barrel to an early 1894 Favorite.)

Breechblocks come in two flavors, the early 7:00 extractor, and the later 6:00 extractor.

Favorite barrels found online are almost always somebody's cast-offs. Good ones rarely if ever show up. I've identified four variants; not just shank diameters but also among the later 1894 models the extractor widths vary. See the Wisner gun parts site for details.

If you have a lathe, and aren't fussy about originality, a very good replacement .22 barrel can be made from a Marlin Model 60 barrel. But between that and finding a breechblock, it's probably more than the gun is worth to convert a .32 to .22.

It is possible to buy a nice bit of .32 RF adapter brass from "tenmile" on gunbroker. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/764457684 It uses a #2 Ramset charge, and is thus reloadable. Not cheap, but do-able. He also has the correct heeled bullets from his Lyman 299153 mould. Read his listings carefully. Tenmile is an enthusiastic shooter of the .32 Long Colt and .32 Rimfire. I buy and use his brass, and I buy a lot of his bullets, because I am too. Even converted a .32 RF 1915 Favorite to centerfire, so I can use his .32 Long Colt components. (That's how I know that it's a tricky bit of machining.)
    NOTE Also that The 1894 'Favorite' Breech Block is Narrower and has a different top contour than the 1915 'Favorite' Breech Block.
    Chev. William

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post

I already use the dixie gun works re-loadable brass. I ordered two .32 shorts. One split down the side. So I ordered four more longs and they seem to work. My only problem is on all of them is that the hole where I put the .22 blank gets loose after a couple shots, so it always wants to fall out.
    And is it actually hard to convert it to us center fire? I probably cant do it with a drill press right? Jsut drill out a hole in the center and make a new firing pin? I dont have a lathe

Boolit Master
    To a Vary Experienced Machinist, anything of this nature is 'possible' but if all you have is a Drill Press, getting the New hole aligned correctly will take Very Careful Set up and Clamping of the Breech Block at least Twice; once to drill the New CF Hole for the Firing pin tip in the face of The Breech Block parallel to the Existing Tip RF hole and Second To Drill the Firing Pin Body Hole from the opposite direction IF you are modifing a .32 RF Breech Block.

Similar Care must be used in set up and clamping a.22RF Breech Block; but usually only the Breech Block Face hole for the New CF Tip (if you make an new offset tip firing pin) is needed.

I believe uscra112 has both modified an old firing pin and made a offset tip firing pin from scratch; so I think he would be someone who can better explain the needed process steps better than I. The only offset firing pin tip I have done myself, I used a 5/64" diameter Dowel pin for the new Tip for an 1890 Winchester Breech Block and Firing pin. The others I have were machined by my gunsmith using a Lathe and a Mill
    among other Tools to complete the parts.

Chev. William

It seems like an easier way would be to machine the new barrel shank off center so the 32 firing pin would line up --
    This is what the mauser 340 does to use a center of the bolt firing pin for 22rf --

Boolit Master
    That would be a viable option for a NEW Barrel Blank; but the original Post indicated An Existing Barrel, not a new barrel blank.
    It has been done that way for making RF adapters for CF firearms also.

Chev. William