MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: powder scale accuracy

After a failed match, I quited btw, I toke the remaining bullits and separated the boolit from its case and measured the powder..
    I wanted to have 25,5 grains and the electric scale give weights in a range off 24.1 to 25.8 in 21 remaining bullits.
    Yep it will be a fine target practice.
    Yes scale was warm, level, no wind/draft, no wife or dogs around, scale is ten years old.

But what will be a good electric powder masseur?
    Next to my old trusted weighing scale with trickler? To speed it up a little.
    Also for the cast boolits.

I am also planning to make a sort of "scale" with 1 millimeter increments that I can put over the zero of the 505, only to compare the casts, to get them closer to similar weights.
    I think this is good to do?

Boolit Grand Master

Easier buy a 6" steel scale ( The ones machinists use) measure the width of the opening and use 1" for zero and you can have 1/32" (.0325) or1/64" (.01575) graduations in stepped lines. I have done this before. These scales are only roughly .020 thick and can be held in place with 2 sided carpet tape.

Boolit Bub
    I don't trust digital scales for powder weighing period.
    I have a PACT and one with the Hornady name on it and another thrown away long ago. They all just aren't repeatable using either check weights or thrown weight and don't compare with a decent beam scale. i have tried various schemes... calibrating, hitting tare before each weigh, letting it settle-in etc. I use a 10-10 or a 505 for hand weighing. When adjusting I like to get 10 same-same in a row then check every 10-20 after that.

Boolit Bub
    Throw me in the boat of not trusting digital scales. I've got a Pact 750 that works when grading cast bullets, but the way it drifts, there's no way I'd ever feel comfortable weighing out charges. I have a Hornady Pacific that gets that job.

Country Gent,
    Some solutions are so simple.....Big thumb up for you.
    Sometimes, I do and think really difficult that I (Dutch saying, freely translated): Don't see a tree in the forrest anymore.
    And that for a Carpenter....looking for wood in a forrest....
    If I may ask: Do you have a similar saying?

I have some old majoring tapes left over, the are going to rust when I work outside in the rain.
    I will simply cut up one and just take the last bit that is not rusty

Thanks!!!!

Euh I/we use overhere milimeters.
    Those are a bit bigger than inches, I will ask my local hardware shop for a finer and more in detail thing

Boolit Grand Master

We have the same saying here also. The big one I use is Kiss, Keep it simple stupid. LOL. Really why go thru the work of what is already made? We had some gages that needed a scales cut for locating a slide under use. we bolted down a length of scale rather than the hassles of writing the program and engraving the scales.

.03937008 converts to and from English to metric. I'm used to fractional dimensions and decimils so its what comes out first. But the hardware store 6" metal scales ( general here) are only a couple dollars, sport a nice polished chrome finish have graduated lines that stagger and usually numbered 1/8" lines making them easier to read. I used Browne and sharp scales at work since I liked the dot over the 1/16" lines also.

If those are retractable tape measures blades they may have a radius to them making them hard for double faced tape to hold.

Boolit Master

I have a Frankford Arsenal digital scale. It's OK for weighing boolits but I won't reload with it. I have an RCBS 5-0-5 and a Dillon "Eliminator" which are both three poise beam scales. A couple of years ago a friend was doing his reloading in my reloading room and brought his RCBS Chargemaster. I was skeptical but it turned out to be dead on with both of my beam scales every time it was checked. Eventuay he had a place to load again and took his Chargemaster with him. About a year ago there was a sale on the Chargemaster and I had a bunch of Cabela's points to use so I got one for myself. It is the only digital scale I've used that's as accurate as the beam scales.

Electronic scales MUST be protected from drafts or they will be inaccurate. I have to turn the air conditioner off to use it.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

I have the 1st RCBS Digital Scale. Twenty Fours yrs old. still works great. I have my Forty yr old OHAUS 10-10 behind it. I also have a OLD Redding #1 oil damping scale. Treat them all with care. An old HORNADY beam scale too. I got a LYMAN Electronic Powder Scale/Measure when they 1st came out. Bought the #3 upgrade to make it faster. A scale weight check set is your BEST FRIEND.

The 10/10 & the two Electronic scales sit on the bench with framed covers over them. Never been put back in the box. I empty the Elec. powder scale/measure with GREAT CARE every time I use it.

Had a problem with the OHAUS about 20yrs ago, sent back, two weeks later in came home good as new. About 12yrs ago the RCBS Elec. went screwy. The tech walked me through recalibrating it over the phone.

HANDLE WITH GREAT CARE.

Of course It just could be my stuff is old enough and was expensive enough when purchased NOT TO HAVE BEEN IN china.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

i've used many digitals along the last 2 decades before settling down on the dillon terminator. consistent readings and accurate enough for my use. just have to keep it away from any electronic sources and open windows to eleminate the little driftings those sensitive scales are prone to.

i used to load for my 300WM a lot when i was into LRS and i'm able to get my loads accurate enough to keep my shots in the V-bull if i do my part.

these days i'm more into the handgun games, so guess it's more than enough in that regard.

i'm not a totally patient guy,and that is the why i parked my beamscale in a corner collecting dust many years ago.

Boolit Master
    Why are you not explaining why you went through so many digitals?
    The first one I used was so sorry it drifted about 2 grains per hour and had to be constantly recalibrated. I was so impatient I went back to a mechanical scale that actually worked.

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    i've used many digitals along the last 2 decades before settling down on the dillon terminator. consistent readings and accurate enough for my use. just have to keep it away from any electronic sources and open windows to eleminate the little driftings those sensitive scales are prone to.

i used to load for my 300WM a lot when i was into LRS and i'm able to get my loads accurate enough to keep my shots in the V-bull if i do my part.

these days i'm more into the handgun games, so guess it's more than enough in that regard.

i'm not a totally patient guy,and that is the why i parked my

beamscale in a corner collecting dust many years ago.
    I
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I have a PACT that I had for about six or so years that I had to send back because it went crazy. Prior to that I had a Lee beam and just hated it. While my PACT was away I bought an RCBS 510 beam scale, put a box behind my press to raise it closer to eye level.
    One day I went in to load a few rounds, and since my electronic scale came back I normally double check the powder charge on each scale. The electronic scale said one thing and the beam scale said something else, about 3 grains heavier. And it took forever for the beam to stabilize. After I was about to lose my mind I decided to take the beam off and see what the problem could be.
    Inside of the poise a small grey jumping spider had decided to take up residence. That explained the balance beam not wanting to stop and being a bit heavier. I blew him out and cleaned the poise and all has been well since.
    I leave the PACT plugged in all of the time, and when loading pistol rounds I still double check with both scales to see that that charges are the same. Rifle loads all get put on the beam scale and still get double checked, but not as often, as they get trickled to zero.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    I have two scales, an RCBS and a Redding. Both are old, mechanical balance beam scales. I can measure the same load on either scale, multiple times and they ALWAYS read the same.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i have to go with country gent the gen pro is a great scale and you can't beat the price . i have one for very light loads for 25acp and you can pick up the pan and set it back down several times and it gives same reading every time. for every thing else i use a lee balance scale i have others rcbs lyman several digitals .the lee is just easier to use it repeats and allways ckecks on the money when compared to other scales. as far as digital the gen pro is only one i trust.

Quote Originally Posted by parkerhale1200 View Post
    Country Gent,
    Some solutions are so simple.....Big thumb up for you.
    Sometimes, I do and think really difficult that I (Dutch saying, freely translated): Don't see a tree in the forrest anymore.
    And that for a Carpenter....looking for wood in a forrest....
    If I may ask: Do you have a similar saying?

I have some old majoring tapes left over, the are going to rust when I work outside in the rain.
    I will simply cut up one and just take the last bit that is not rusty

Thanks!!!!
    Here the saying goes: Can't see the forest for the trees.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12