WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: Reducing Trigger pull - whats necessary & who can do it?

Reducing Trigger pull - whats necessary & who can do it?

A year ago we had a barrel problem with my wifes S&W Lady Smith (Model 642LS 1 7/8" barrel, for her self protection). S&W replaced the barrel, but, the trigger pull is now so hard she cannot pull it. I figured it just needed to be used so over the last year I put about 200 rounds through it. The trigger pull has not changed. Now I am considering replacing the trigger spring, however, I have heard that also affects the firing pin action. I am pretty good with mechanical things, but, I don't know diddly about this. At this point in time my preference is to have a knowledgeable, reliable gunsmith do the work. That way I have a warranty. The other route is just to sell it and replace it with one she can fire.

What am I looking at to reduce the trigger pull? Can I do it? Is there extenuating circumstances I need to consider? I see there is a sticky about where to find parts, so, that question can be answered easily.
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Boolit Master

If it increased when S&W changed the barrel, they should be responsible for fixing it.

Boolit Grand Master

Double action increased? If it did they probably tightened tha tension screw to where it should be. A set of wolf springs should cure the problem and they are no sweat to install. The trigger return spring will need a special tool that you can make or buy from Brownell's or you can just fiddle it out with a screwdriver, not the best way but it can be done. Double to be reliable should run about 9-10 pounds and be smooth. If the wife can't handle that better go to a single double that she can cock.

like KCSO said. a wolf spring kit might cure this problem to some extents.

Boolit Master
    Not sure if this is second hand or new when you got it and you don't have the current trigger pull weight. If it went back to S&W they probably ran it through a Q/A and if the trigger was not within spec (12-14 lbs) they replaced the components to bring it back into spec for a dual action only revolver.

An aftermarket spring set can be installed and there is a balance between the hammer and trigger spring that must be maintained. A competent gunsmith can easily install a aftermarket spring set and get the proper balance. You can do it yourself with the associated risks, its not a complicated swap, the innards can be a bit tricky and daunting to some. The downside is that a reduced spring can effect the primer strike force and possibly cause a misfire due to a light strike, not something desirable in a SD weapon. The fact that its a revolver does help as you (she) can continue to pull the trigger and possibly get a second strike on the round getting it to go off. The simplicity and second strike is why most officers carry a revolver as a back up weapon. In addition the heavy pull weight often acts as a secondary safety ensuring that you do indeed really intend to pull the trigger.

forgot to add this is a coil spring gun, there is no tension screw to adjust (which is wrong as well)

Boolit Master
    I have sent guns back to S&W for repair, and they all came back with horrible triggers, when they were all smooth and tuned beforehand. I think it must be a liability issue for the company, so they make them all at their spec (heavy) before leaving the facility. I agree that a tune kit from Wolffe or other supplier will take care of your trigger issue. Being this revolver is to be used for SD, be sure you have a good solid primer hit after tuning.

Boolit Grand Master

Cylinder and slide makes some good after market kits that drop in with the sears at the right angles and springs in the right ranges ready to drop in. Look and see what they offer.

Boolit Master
    On a carry revolver, I generally like to keep a full power main spring in it, I am fond of dependable BANGS, and reduced power main springs never help in this area. A reduced power return spring will help, but again, not too light so function remains positive.

If the trigger was good before, I would start by giving the gun a detail strip/clean and once over. Its been shot a bit, so you should see wear marks where parts are rubbing, and you may try a light polish on these areas. The first thing I thought of when you said the barrel was replaced, is whether the barrel/cylinder gap is too tight and binding, it's worth checking. Also be sure there is not built up crud under the ejector star, that will dramatically increase pull or even bind a gun up. Good luck.

Lighter springs are never the answer, on self defense handguns. Wolf Springs tells you that on their website...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    Lighter springs are never the answer, on self defense handguns. Wolf Springs tells you that on their website...
    I updated all my J and I frame guns with Wolff springs and I went with the Xtra Power sets. Nice and snappy now. I also agree with what you posted.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    I updated all my J and I frame guns with Wolff springs and I went with the Xtra Power sets. Nice and snappy now. I also agree with what you posted.
    I have a bunch of guns with amazing triggers, that I wouldn't trust as far as I can throw them. Box stock S&W's are the way to go, if your life depends on it... A J frame with heavy springs, sounds better the longer I think about it....
    Last edited by gnostic; 04-11-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Thank you all so much for educating me. To answer some of the questions: The gun is a double action, We purchased it new in January of 2017. The barrel was replaced in March of 2017 and we noticed the stiffer trigger pull right away, should have sent it back then. Now a year later we have time to shoot and the trigger pull is an issue. I keep my gun barrels, cylinders and as much as possible the working parts as clean as new (including the ejector star), cleaning them after each range session. I do not get into the inner workings of each gun (the firing pin area) and maybe I should take that apart and see whats up.
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Boolit Master
    Opening up the side plate is not all that hard and there are enough online videos and the like to show you how.

The key thing that I cannot stress enough is that you must invest in is a good set of gunsmith grade screwdrivers which are available from the usual places look for Grace, Wheeler or my preference Magna-tip.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    like KCSO said. a wolf spring kit might cure this problem to some extents.
    I also vote for a Wolff spring set change to lessen the `Lawyer proof trigger pull`.Robert

After watching several youtube videos and talking to customer service I bought a kit with 4 springs, an 8 # for the trigger, and 3 for the hammer (11#, 13# and 15#) Seems pretty straight forward to exchange. After looking into the springs I see the factory ranges from 12# to 18#, no wonder my bride couldn't pull the trigger. I'll let you know how the exchange goes.