MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Lee 170 FN for Red Stag.

Boolit Mold

Lee 170 FN for Red Stag.

Hunting this weekend, decided last week to go with cast. A quick trip to the range on Sunday to check out our rifles. Loaded 170 Lee FN over 26.5 H4198. Chrono'd at 1900-1930 fps and put ten rounds into 1.25 inch @ 100 out of my Howa and 2.25 inches from my brother's BLR. We tried two alloys, acww + 2% tin and 50/50 ww/pb + 2% tin. Here's the question, given short hunting ranges of 20-100 yards and the possibility of animals up to 400 lbs, which alloy would you go with, and is 1900 fps adequate. ( tried 31 grs h4198 and 2150 fps but groups went to 6 inches @ 100).

Banned

I think, based on my experience with similar bullets at similar ranges on white tail deer, that you'd be best off with the 50/50 + 2% tin alloy you mention of the accuracy is there, and I think 1900 FPS is adequate. That Lee bullet is similar to the classic 311041 which is a good performer.

I've never shot anything that weighed close to 400 pounds though. You have the accuracy you need, remember, shot placement trumps all else. Good luck and please post a picture or two, I love the hunting pics and stories we get from the New Zealanders on here.

Boolit Mold
    Planning on a trip report and even spent some gun funds on a new camera, hope for a good story by Monday. I have taken the next two months off to spend chasing deer and tahr all around the countryside. Planning various "theme" hunts, 308 this week, WW2 bolt guns next week,i.e jungle carbine vs arisaka or K98 vs No 4 mk1.
    Then maybe bp Hawkins vs Kentucky rifle.Lotta fun and lots of shooting I hope.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'd personally go with a heavier bullet. 200 gr. would be nice.

Here's a friend of mine who took a stag in NZ a few years ago with a flintlock.

The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I'd personally go with a heavier bullet. 200 gr. would be nice.

Here's a friend of mine who took a stag in NZ a few years ago with a flintlock.

I always like watching this video. I like when he busts that mtn goat.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ejm View Post
    Planning on a trip report and even spent some gun funds on a new camera, hope for a good story by Monday. I have taken the next two months off to spend chasing deer and tahr all around the countryside. Planning various "theme" hunts, 308 this week, WW2 bolt guns next week,i.e jungle carbine vs arisaka or K98 vs No 4 mk1.
    OK, I'm gonna have to call you down here. That's just too much fun for a man to be allowed to have, sorry, but you're gonna have to share that hunting trip with me, LOL.

Boolit Mold
    Leaving in the morning, had some success today with a higher velocity load I had made for my TC Icon. 40 gr of H4895 and acww Lee 170 FN @ 2350 fps in the Howa went ten shots into an inch at 50 yds so I'll try that this trip. Strangely, group size was cut in half when I bought screwed a suppressor on. I thought about heavier projectiles but only have lino cast up now and both my 200 grainers are round nose. C309-200r & 311299. Hopefully the flat meplat and extra velocity will offset the lighter bullets. We are actually missing our U.S.A hunting partner this year. Our older brother who has lived in San Diego for 35 years normally would be here as well, but he spent this year's travel funds on a Colorado Elk hunt.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Anxiously waiting for the next chapter of this thread to appear.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ejm View Post

Sounds like the makin's for a series of great hunting shows. I don't do TV so I'm saving my data allowance for the YouTube videos!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Have not hunted in NZ, but red deer in Spain and Italy fall down within 150 metres with similar loads. 1900 fps is plenty and the 50-50 alloy is fine. Agree heavier bullet on 190-200kg animal if you have one with flat nose having meplat larger than 1/2 of bullet diameter, but if choice is between a heavy bullet with round nose and lighter bullet with flat nose ALWAYS GO FOR THE FLAT NOSE!!! Shot placement trumps everything else.

Weidmannsheil!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.