RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Awesome range report

Awesome range report

So my birthday was today and about a week ago my wife (who has never shot a gun) said "for your birthday, I want to shoot a gun". So, I took her to a nice little range where there is a .22lr range with metal targets.

She came in sweating with a high heart rate and left with a big old smile after smoking several clays, a bunch of steel targets.

Boolit Master

Sounds like a new shooting partner.....sweet.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Good job! Another convert to the right side. The extra expense for ammo and assorted gear will be well worth it. Your relationship has gone to a whole new level. Guess you have some more reloading to do.

Be careful. Before you know it she will be claiming that gun, then this gun, then, well, you know. But you know what? It will definitely be worth it if she develops into a lifelong shooting partner.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Boolit Master
    Great to hear!

I really enjoy going shooting with the missus, so I bet you will enjoy going shooting with your missus in the future as well!
    Like the others have said, though... Ya gonna have to watch out or your firearms may get "appropriated" by her. Best bet is to take her & help her find her own "special" firearm to buy & use. Good reason to acquire another firearm anyway. LOL

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Awesome!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    You're ahead of me. SWMBO and I got married in 1970 and for a wedding gift I gave her a Browning Auto-5, new in the box, 20 gauge. This was to be the start of her venture into hunting and recreational shooting with me. About that same time I also gave her a NIB Browning BL-22 Grade II, the better grade lever rifle, along with a NIB S&W m-36, 2" round butt, nickel (this was just before SS became easily available). TO THIS DAY she has not fired the first round from ANY of these firearms. She remembers them, will on occasion ask if they are still here (making sure they have not "wandered" away), but expresses no interest in exercising them. Is there any hope for her, or me. Doubt it.

Boolit Master
    Can we say?- Best birthday ever!
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Grand Master
    Great!!!

Luckily, my fiancé has taken to pistol and rifle shooting and is good at both. She is hopeless as a Trap shooter and that sucks a bit as I shoot Trap competitively. Her birthday is coming up and I plan to get her a new gun. Probably a pistol but she will pick out what SHE WANTS.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    You're ahead of me. SWMBO and I got married in 1970 and for a wedding gift I gave her a Browning Auto-5, new in the box, 20 gauge. This was to be the start of her venture into hunting and recreational shooting with me. About that same time I also gave her a NIB Browning BL-22 Grade II, the better grade lever rifle, along with a NIB S&W m-36, 2" round butt, nickel (this was just before SS became easily available). TO THIS DAY she has not fired the first round from ANY of these firearms. She remembers them, will on occasion ask if they are still here (making sure they have not "wandered" away), but expresses no interest in exercising them. Is there any hope for her, or me. Doubt it.
    Sounds like you have the story line for a reality TV show. Guns decay if left unused; you should consider saving them from a fate worse than rust, by shooting them yourself just for maintenance purposes.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Quote Originally Posted by coloraydo View Post
    Be careful. Before you know it she will be claiming that gun, then this gun, then, well, you know. But you know what? It will definitely be worth it if she develops into a lifelong shooting partner.
    Ha! Fortunately, my new favourite gun is a 45-70, so it's gonna be a while before she takes that one. And my other two favs are both .44 mag - I think those are safe.

The .22 rifle is probably the first target... BUT she wants a .22 pistol now. So, we'll go shopping and let her pick one out.

Boolit Master
    Before I married Lori we went to the range and she shot my 22/45 Ruger, and didn't miss@25 yards. I bought her a Glock 17 and again she shot so well it was scary. She hasn't fired a firearm since.

She told me that the 22/45 was the first time she'd fired anything.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    Ha! Fortunately, my new favourite gun is a 45-70, so it's gonna be a while before she takes that one. And my other two favs are both .44 mag - I think those are safe.

The .22 rifle is probably the first target... BUT she wants a .22 pistol now. So, we'll go shopping and let her pick one out.
    Get her both, you will not be disappointed. And just remember, you have been warned.
    Seriously though, as long as she enjoys it and keep interested, it will only get better for both of you.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post

Don't bet on it! Chris (Arisaka99) is 6'6" and a big guy, his wife is 5'2" and absolutely loves my Encore Katadin 45-70!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    I still remember taking my wife to the range first time and she was FREAKING the hell out on the way. I mean chain smoking going "What if someone shoots me like that sniper guy"
    " What if there are some terrorists there" " I think we are safe at police shooting range honey LOL"

By the time she shot first couple rounds it was all over and any fear was gone as well. She just wanted to shoot more and more i couldnt keep her mags loaded fast enough. Now both her and my daughter fight over my FNX45 because they both want to shoot 45acp. I guess I have to get another 45 then ??? Fine by me I want to get a nice 1911 anyway. At least I'm not getting yelled at for spending money on guns or ammo. Actually i think my wife feels safer with me shooting guns rather then riding fast bikes.
    I'm just glad she finds my ARs too long and heavy for her to use comfortably so those are still mine lol
    She did tell me that she wants pink AR with stock pinned shorter for her but we'll see about that.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm 6'6" and my wife is 5'2". My brother is 6'4" and his wife is 5'2" also. I keep seeing this more and more.
    Can you say opposites attract lol

Boolit Master

wife is happy to let me shoot cowboy 3 times a month

I do notice more shoes in her closet, though
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    wife is happy to let me shoot cowboy 3 times a month

I do notice more shoes in her closet, though
    Small price to pay, I would say.
    God Bless, Whisler

Boolit Master
    Hi 44Blam.Don`t count on the 45-70 being safe.A friend in Fl has a wife about the size of yours.Her favorite "plinking"rifle is his .458 Win mag with full house loads.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Buddy
    I used to have a really nice S&W model 19 with a 4" barrel. I developed a 125gn cast bullet, powder coated, medium powder charge and accurate load for the wife. She loves the load and the trigger on the Smith. Fortunately, she will let me shoot it now and then.

I just bought her a S&W M&P 380 (her choice) and I'm working up a load for it. So far she out shoots me with it.

I noticed years ago when shooting competitions that women shooters are accurate shooters. I have discussed this with my wife and her reply was "you want me to shoot what? ok" She then makes the shot and is ready for another. She's wickedly accurate at 500 meters with my 22-250. I won't give up my rifle. She's looking at a 243. I'm sure in the near future she will have one.