Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Are some types of Rifeling better than others for cast boolits?

Boolit Mold

Are some types of Rifeling better than others for cast boolits?

Has anyone been able to test to see what kind of rifling works better for cast boolits than others.
    such as 5R/conventional rifling/polygon/hybrid/ratchet and so on is one better than another for cast boolits?

Boolit Grand Master

Krieger is making a alexander henry style rifled blank that's supposed to be very good with cast and PP bullets. The pics are available On buffalo arms company website in their barrel section along with specs and prices. Some advocate a tapered barrel some say choked. In the end its what works for you

Boolit Master

I haven't had a barrel i couldn't make shoot. I did love my polygonal barrel.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Two systems that did work well in the 19th century were the tapered oval bore,and Metfords segmental rifling.I think Henrys rifling worked so well in the trials because the narrow lands cut paper patches,whereas the other systems tested didnt......Henrys sytem made a target half the size of the competing ones.The test barrels were all muzzleloading.Henrys system also requires the long tapered lead,without that ,its just another barrel...Metford rifling quickly proved superior for fouling ,but came too late.

Boolit Master
    Nomad666 welcome to the forums. I would not say some are better but some are easier to size for. As size is not as important in some as others. I have not way to prove this as a fact so I will say its is just my 2 cents.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    What you want to do has a large bearing.....for smokeless powder and higher velocities,I think plain Mauser 4 wide groove,narrow land is best....For blackpowder ,fouling is the issue,and how its to be managed.....Another set of conditions applies for 1000yd shooting......a rifling leaving the least or no marks on the bullet will maintain velocity better.,as will a plain,no groove bullet.