MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: I’m gettin ready to cast more boolits

Boolit Man

I’m gettin ready to cast more boolits

I’m gettin ready to cast more boolits, and I’ve read that a lot of guys use a hot plate to warm up the mould before casting. I just got a hot plate for that reason, and am wondering what setting on the hot plate to use to warm up the mould, and how long should the mould stay on the hot plate?
    Thanks,
    Paul
    People would rather beleave a lie than the truth
    David Crockett

Boolit Master

I'd suppose the setting on the hotplate would vary from one to another as would the desired temperature of the mould from one to another. You'll have to experiment on that. On my own with one particular mould that likes to cast at about 320° I set my PID at 390° and in the roughly 20 minutes it takes the pot to get up to temperature then the mould is also where I want it.

So when I'm not actually casting bullets the mould sits on the hot plate while I'm refilling the pot, etc. My experience thus far indicates the mould will stay hot that way though not necessarily full casting temperature. That mould will however give up good bullets at temperatures between 300 - 340°.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Moderator Emeritus

I have a really old coil type single burner hot plate. I put an old saw blade on the coil so I don't get a hot spot on part of the mold, I also put a old steel coffee can over the mold, to hold the heat in, like an oven.

The control knob is marked "Low", "Med", and "high". There are two hash marks between each word.
    I set mine at one hash mark above "Low" and the mold takes about 20 minutes to heat up...about the same amount of time as it takes my Lee bottom pour furnace to get up to temperture.

I suspect that doesn't help you much? But what I should say, is you probably need to do some experimenting.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Yep. you are gonna have to experiment with the dial setting.

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I have a really old coil type single burner hot plate. I put an old saw blade on the coil so I don't get a hot spot on part of the mold, I also put a old steel coffee can over the mold, to hold the heat in, like an oven.

The control knob is marked "Low", "Med", and "high". There are two hash marks between each word.
    I set mine at one hash mark above "Low" and the mold takes about 20 minutes to heat up...about the same amount of time as it takes my Lee bottom pour furnace to get up to temperture.

I suspect that doesn't help you much? But what I should say, is you probably need to do some experimenting.
    we must have the same hotplate; that's my setting too
    a wallyworld purchase
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Moderator Emeritus

I have a really old coil type single burner hot plate
    ...SNIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    we must have the same hotplate; that's my setting too
    a wallyworld purchase
    well, mine is a vintage unit with beautiful green enamel finish (circa 1970s) made by "Cornwall". It WAS purchased this decade, it still has the $1 goodwill price tag on it, but I'm quite sure I had a 50% off coupon when I bought it, LOL.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

In Remembrance
    Jon I hope you walked up to the cashier backwards !

well, mine is a vintage unit with beautiful green enamel finish (circa 1970s) made by "Cornwall". It WAS purchased this decade, it still has the $1 goodwill price tag on it, but I'm quite sure I had a 50% off coupon when I bought it, LOL.

another thing you can do is dip the corner of the mold in hot lead for 15 to 20 sec that will help it get to casting temp to I have been doing that for years D Crockett