Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated sizing press.

All rifle brass is sized with my RCBSA2. Handgun brass is sized on several presses.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

If we're talking brass resizing then I use a CO-AX for rifle cases, I do have a Lee Classic Cast that I keep for anything else that one might need a single stage press for. Handgun cases are sized on the press I load them with which is now only an RCBS Pro 2000.
    If we're talking about bullet sizing then I use a Star lube sizer for that job. I gave away several Lee sizing kits a couple years ago as they were just in the way and a couple hadn't even been used. Didn't care for them, well not really true, they sized just fine but I don't like tumble lubing bullets.

Boolit Master

CO-AX for important stuff, RC for general, or old Pacific

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I use a Co-Ax for brass and a Pacific 007 for lead using LEE dies .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Brass goes through the Lee Classic Cast Turret press. For some if not most I size and deprime with index rod out, then the sizing position is taken by an NOE expander plug to set neck size. Not sure why I would have another press this one seems to do the job. At least up through 300 Wby Mag.

For sizing cast bullets a C press made by CH that is older but still works very well for this task. I find the C press provides me with a more open access to position the bullet for the push through sizer.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogedy_Man View Post
    I'm still confused as to whether we're talking bullets or brass. Most responses seem to be about brass?

For me...no special press for sizing brass. I'm using a classic cast for sizing bullets, but kind of want a cast iron C-frame to put right on the casting bench.
    Yeah, my bad. I should have made that clear. It's sizing boolits that I was meaning.

Boolit Grand Master

For boolits one RCBS lube sizer with Ben's red for rifle and fast pistol, one Lyman Lubsizer with Emmerts (modified) for BP and pistol. I know, not what you were asking, but it is what I use. Bought both of them used off eBay before reloading stuff became ridiculous there.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boogedy_Man View Post
    I'm still confused as to whether we're talking bullets or brass. Most responses seem to be about brass?

For me...no special press for sizing brass. I'm using a classic cast for sizing bullets, but kind of want a cast iron C-frame to put right on the casting bench.
    I noticed that too. OP stated "sizing bullets" but several posters didn't/wouldn't/couldn't read the whole, one sentence long post. Happens all the time...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I noticed that too. OP stated "sizing bullets" but several posters didn't/wouldn't/couldn't read the whole, one sentence long post. Happens all the time...
    Did not read that way until he edited it, just over 3 days later.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Two dedicated to sizing. Rifle an A4 rock chucker hand gun a coax

Boolit Master
    GONRA hasa Lee Classic Cast Press 90998 dedicated (more or less) "case prep press".
    Just take sizer dies setup for my olde Hollywood Senior,
    usa 5 mil spacer and prep Range Brass like crazy....

Boolit Master
    Star sizer/luber that I picked up in a trade. Great piece!

Super Moderator

I use a Rockchucker for all rifle cases, numerous other presses for pistol brass.

Boolit Master
    Depending on whether I'm sizing or case forming case sizing only RCBS Rockchucker,case forming heavy duty resizing Saeco Big Max that's what I think it's called.

Boolit Master
    I use a Lyman 45,three Lyman 450's and a Lyman 4500 for sizing and lubricating bullets.They're loaded with different lubes and have whatever diameter H&I dies I normally use.Much more convenient than changing dies all of the time.I bought one of the 450's new.The remainder I bought used.I started out sizing bullets with a 310 tool back in the 50's.That worked but it was bit slow.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve got a couple of 450s from Lyman as well as a old Ideal #1 I will only use for very soft lubes. As for push through, size only dies like the Lee or old Lyman types, whatever press has an empty hole, but usually my RCBS Jr.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy

I powder coat all my boolits, so use and inexpensive smart reloader press mounted upside down for all my boolit sizing. Bought this heavy cast iron press with sizing brass and boolits only in mind.

Boolit Master

in a bit of a detour I tear down my SDB (tool head and primer assembly: 7 screws), replace with a tool head with just the depriming pin. Takes less than 5 minutes

then I can run the range brass through the progressive to deprime before wet tumbling.

all I have to do it insert brass as the progressive action will drop them in the bin. It's very fast

quick application of compressor air and press is clean and ready to put back together.

The sizing station on the reassembled press does a great job of resizing with the help of a bit of homemade lube spray
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Banned

Ive got a cheap little lee hand press I mounted upside down with some brackets I fabricated to my bench. Piece of plastic hose on top of the die that feeds into a coffee can. Ive wore out one of those presses and the one I have now is getting pretty wore but there cheap enough that you can just toss them.

Boolit Master
    This is what I rigged up & it is reversible by making it like a receiver hitch so I can use it either way.
    Right side up
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UpsidedownPress1.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	218432

Name:	UpsidedownPress2.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	218433
    ^^ I don't know why this pic is sideways I didn't take it that way.

Upside down

Name:	UpsidedownPress4.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	218434
    Close up upside down

Name:	UpsidedownPress3.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	218435

I need to get out and paint it when it warms up ( & stops snowing like a blizzard outside. and it is April and supposed to be about 60F)
    I wanted to use it for a while to see if I needed to make any further mods before I painted it. I have run a few thousand thru it sizing boolits & it works great that way, as well as right side up for the other tasks. I either hang a bucket with a towel in it for 25-100 boolits or run a garden hose to a container on the floor for large amounts of boolits.

Anyway, that is the rig I made up that OSOK( Charlie) was posting about earlier & what I have been using for about 6-8 months IRCC.

That's it for me on the topic, I guess...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast