WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dedicated sizing press.

Boolit Master
    Powder coating works fine for small batches. The oven I have is a $40 convection unit from walmart. My aluminum sheets (with non stick foil) are about the size of a sheet of paper. I try to at least fill a tray to make it worth the power used to run the oven for 20 minutes. For large batches I fill a second tray while the first cooks. Others use a tray made of screen and do larger batches, but I didn't have luck with baking with boolits laying on their sides.

This 9mm mold drops fat, so I had to size after casting, then washed the case lube off with dish soap and powder coated and then sized again. I ended up sizing to 358 then 356 in two steps, then again through the 356 after powder.

Normally, I cast, powdercoat, lube and size and then load them up. PC adds a few thousandths and sizing PC smooths out the sides and makes it the correct diameter again. PC on my rifle boolits made the nose bigger and I would have had to seat them deeper. After shooting those few, I have not tried it again.

There is a ton of info on this forum in the coatings section. It is worth trying out.

Speaking of smoking boolit lube, I have a little story on that topic. I competed in a dueling tree match. After 500+ rounds of ammo and winning all of the heats except for one, I found myself battling it out with one other guy. Earlier, that guy took my first wrist band and knocked me into the loser group. After beating all the losers, I was up against him again. The sun was shinning in our eyes during the late afternoon and the dueling trees were in the shadow of the hills. We went at it again, but by that point my gun was caked in bullet lube and there was so much smoke that neither of us could see the plates. We were both shooting blindly, at some points, in hope of hitting them to take the win for the entire match. Well, he beat me. He turned to me and said, "talk about smoke and hope!" His name is Mike Dalton and he started the Steel Challenge shooting competition that is quite famous.

I do use a gas check on some of my 45 cal boolits that are PC, as I use them in the 460 magnum. For that, an upsidedown single stage press works well.

I started to figure out how to make a single stage like the green machine above. Surprisingly, I ran across his build thread on that machine. The body of his is great and I ended up being right about how he made it, though most people wouldn't use the same method. My version will not use that method either. The linkage is simple and is just a reversal of a lee press, so that is likely what I will try. I could post more in this thread or maybe it would be better to start a new thread, when I get started. It will be a fun challenge and if it turns out good, I would consider selling them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Great post, CGT80... thanks for your efforts to explain. I admit to being pretty much of a Luddite (I didn’t even do e-mail until I was in my 40s!) I for one would enjoy reading about both your pc technique as well as the press building. If you start a new thread on the latter, you might want to put it in the Reloading Tools Forum to get a wider audience... I know I’ll be looking forward to it!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

It has been long enough, but I finally made that press that I talked about in the post above. The guy who made the green press did a great job, but I don't have the same skill set, so I used the tools and material I had on hand.

Now I need to cast more boolits so I can try it with other calibers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bullet sizer small.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	225864

Boolit Master
    Big Max to size an de-cap Its almost to much, as is easy to destroy cases by crushing if something gets wonky in the adjustment.

Boolit Master
    Not sure why one would size and not lube at the same time, with either the Lyman, RCBS, or STAR.

Boolit Master

Well, if PC coating them the lube is not needed and sometimes I will take a bullet that drops .314 and was sized and lubed to .311 and squeeze it down to .310 depending on the gun. Push thru is very quick at that point.

Boolit Master
    Tumble lube is a process that also works with the lee sizing dies. You can side before you tumble or after, or before and after.

After a few tries with tumble lube, I knew it wasn't for me. PC works great for my pistol boolits and for now, I lube my rifle boolits, so they just get run through an RCBS lubrisizer.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Not sure why one would size and not lube at the same time, with either the Lyman, RCBS, or STAR.
    When I plan on heat treating boolits, I pre-size without lube.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    As said, not everyone lubes in the modern times. We have other options.. Powder Coating is one of the great new options. Much better than lube IMHO.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    This is what I rigged up & it is reversible by making it like a receiver hitch so I can use it either way.
    Right side up
    Attachment 218432

Attachment 218433
    ^^ I don't know why this pic is sideways I didn't take it that way.

Upside down
    Attachment 218434
    Close up upside down
    Attachment 218435

I need to get out and paint it when it warms up ( & stops snowing like a blizzard outside. and it is April and supposed to be about 60F)
    I wanted to use it for a while to see if I needed to make any further mods before I painted it. I have run a few thousand thru it sizing boolits & it works great that way, as well as right side up for the other tasks. I either hang a bucket with a towel in it for 25-100 boolits or run a garden hose to a container on the floor for large amounts of boolits.

Anyway, that is the rig I made up that OSOK( Charlie) was posting about earlier & what I have been using for about 6-8 months IRCC.

That's it for me on the topic, I guess...

Really like the way you mounted press to table. That should be just the ticket if space is really limited. Would be easy to make a shelf to slide the units into when not in use. Hats off to you sir, good work!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I can see some enterprising fella with a 3-D printer designing a feed tray with feed tube attached for high speed sizing...maybe that's over the horizon.

Lee will have a lean green sizing machine.
    I don't think Lee would make it in green

Banned
    Bullet Sizer: Grem460 AS/2 HOG machine
    Grem460 in a member who hangs out in the HiTek thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87W_NsIuXCk

he now has multi-tube boolit feeding cartridges

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234