Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: SP101 KA-not-so-boom.

SP101 KA-not-so-boom.

This is what happens with what I believe to have been a double charge of 700x under a 155 gr DEWC. Had a bag of these ( 3.5 grs 700x in 357 brass) loads that I had done up with a Lee loader and then kinda forgot about them after I picked up a cheap JR3 and some dies.
    Anyway, the day I got a membership at one of the ranges here, about two years ago, I took these and my SP101 with me to do some draw from concealment practice. Shot about 30 rounds and then loaded up again, fired 2 rounds and then the third fired with a hollow pop boom and massive recoil. Felt like I had just lit off a top end 357 mag round. Had to use a magazine for my mini 30 to hammer the brass out of that chamber. Checked it out, couldn't see any problems, no bulge in barrel and nothing that I could see wrong with the cylinder. Loaded up another cylinder full and fired away with no issues. Brass was slightly sticky coming out of the chambers but everything worked correctly. As far as I could tell. I was pretty new to revolvers and reloading in general so I didn't know what to look for.
    Over the next two years I shot it often with full power loads that I made and finished of my buffalo bore rounds that I had bought. Never a problem except intermittent hard extraction if I didn't keep the chambers absolutely spotless.
    Fast forward to Thursday two weeks ago, I went to the range and tried to finish off 3 boxes of PMC 158 grain soft points I was given, from the start extraction was impossible, had to hammer the brass out of one chamber every time. After three cylinders full I called it quits and shot something else.
    Took it to work the next day and removed the cylinder, cleaned it and put a straight edge over each chamber. Sure enough, the one I had marked with a sharpie the previous day was bulged out a few thousandths. Also found the signs of stressed metal under a good light and magnifying glass. I gotta say Ruger makes a strong revolver because I shot this for two years after it happened and even developed some excellent loads with it. But here's the pictures and even some florescent mag particle pics that I did at work as a bonus.
    Also Im pretty darn certain it was not a squib that got hit by the third shot, I remember making two holes in the target and then boom, and even that one made a hole.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sean357; 04-07-2018 at 10:03 AM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Now what do you think would have happened if it had been a Taurus?

Ruger builds a stout gun. My advice is to fully confess and communicate.

Return the gun to Ruger and ask if they would inspect and recylinder it. Ask what the cost would be.

Their warranty doesn't cover reloads,so it would be on your nickel.

If the gun is not safely repairable, they will probably offer you a deal on a replacement.

Thanks for posting.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Glad everyone is okay; and also being of the school if it looks okay it is. I’ve learned as you have not to ignor those little issues in a gun a vehical a piece of farm equipment or my own health. Yes ruger does “over build “ their wheel guns. Thanks for sharing this with us, it’s good to be reminded that after a bang bang BOOM! Stop what your doing and investigate,take it to a smithy to confirm nothing is wrong. Again not beating you up and also happy no one was injured! And the damage sounds minimal so the little sp is probably saveable .
    Last edited by nagantguy; 04-07-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Yeah definitely a lesson learned on this one, even though I didn't realize what had happened till much later. Still paid much better attention to my reloading routine since then. Really glad it didn't come apart at the time, but really thankful it didn't come apart since then during one of the many times my wife was shooting it.
    My wife was awesome and very sympathetic so I did order what I think was the last cylinder in stock at Numrich. Inspected the frame and no damage or distress found. The cylinder got here and it fits perfect. Timing is excellent, and the BC gap is better too.

Boolit Master
    Glad you were not hurt and very glad it stayed together!
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for sharing.

BTW a maximum charge for 700X with a 158 gr bullet is about 5.7 gr so if you charged with 7.0 gr it was not quite a double charge.

I believe most double charges are caused by people using loading blocks and hand loaders or single stage presses. They charge cases and do not seat bullets immediately. Having loaded about 500,000 rounds on progressives, I have never had a double charge, but came close when using a loading block and a single stage press. There was another thread recently that confirmed that it can happen even to a very careful, experienced, and methodical reloader.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Glad no one got hurt. I love ruger for the overkill build reason.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

I would not want that happening in a taurus as Outpost said, maybe it would have failed, maybe not, but don't want to find out.
    I know what probably happened, while using that whackamole, I charged the case, stopped for some reason and when I came back didn't check for powder and dropped more in and finished. Just one, but all it takes is one.
    I will send it to Ruger if this new cylinder for some reason doesn't work out, would look good if they redid the brushed finish at the same time. Haven't shot it yet.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Thanks for sharing.

BTW a maximum charge for 700X with a 158 gr bullet is about 5.7 gr so if you charged with 7.0 gr it was not quite a double charge.

I believe most double charges are caused by people using loading blocks and hand loaders or single stage presses. They charge cases and do not seat bullets immediately. Having loaded about 500,000 rounds on progressives, I have never had a double charge, but came close when using a loading block and a single stage press. There was another thread recently that confirmed that it can happen even to a very careful, experienced, and methodical reloader.
    He was shooting 155 DEWC, 158 grain makes me think data for swc or rn here

I feel the same way about single stage and progressive also. Touch the brass once or 2-3 times. More room for error on single stage to me.
    Last edited by Adam20; 04-07-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Boolit Master
    $90 to fit a new cylinder to a Super Blackhawk and $50 for return shipping if they don't warranty it.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

I double charged a 38spl with 3.8 X 2= 7.6 grains of Tightgroup. The case broke in half and had to be pounded out but didn't damage my 686...

Boolit Master
    I double loaded a 38 special I believe one time w 2x charge of clays powder medium range. It went bang bang bang VEROOOOOOM! My dad and I looked at each other and I was like what was that? Thought I was hearing things but when you hear it and someone else hears it ‘thats Not normal. I think it was a double charge

Banned
    I'm going to second what Outpost said; fess up and send it to Ruger. The repair, if possible will be on your dime but in the end you'll have a satisfactory gun. If the gun cannot be repaired - replace it and move on.

I also agree that the experience is a testament to the strength of Ruger DA revolvers, in particular, the strength of the SP101.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sean357 View Post
    I was pretty new to revolvers and reloading in general.
    I have seen this more than once. A person new at reloading will do some things that will cause things to not have a happy ending.
    If they learn from it, then they will profit from it. If not then they are doomed to what ever happens to them, and should not complain if they end up blind or short of fingers.

If the caliber you are shooting is not powerful enough, buy a bigger gun.

There was a guy where I worked who thought he could get his 30-30 to shoot like a 308 and in doing so lost half of his face and his right eye.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.