PBcastcoTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: newbie needs advice (with picture)

newbie needs advice (with picture)

So I'm trying to patch for a microgroove 336. I'm using lee 309-150f mould, and wrapping with 16lb, 100% cotton vellum. Which bullet would be the appropriate place to have the paper come to on this bullet? Or will it make a significant difference.

Boolit Master
    Elginrunner,

Welcome to the addiction! A couple of comments:
    1. That CB should work well. The CP most likely is far enough forward of the CG to promote a gyroscopic damping of wind- induced CB oscillations, i.e. better accuracy.
    2. Try both the PP just over the start of the ogive and the PP back from the start of the ogive. See which one gives the best accuracy.
    3. Size the CB to bore diameter plus 0.001"-0.0015".
    4. Final size PPCB to groove diameter or slightly less.
    5. Enjoy the journey!

Best regards,

CJR

Boolit Man
    Hey. As suggested, try just past the ogive. I've had some issues with rounds not chambering, however, as the Boolit is not larger than bore diameter. If that is the case, you could try patching just past the lube grooves. If the nose section of the Boolit is equal to the Bore diameter than you shouldn't have leading. I just test that by pushing the nose section into the muzzle of the gun. If it fits with no/little resistance, than you should be good to PP it in the way suggested. Worked for me in my 30-30 336.

The first one that I loaded up had rifling marks on the rounded edges of the lead, even though it was short of Max OAL.

The OAL measures 2.522. I was concerned at the rifling marks on the bare lead. I didn't want to cause any leading issues.

I just got back in from testing 10 rounds. I had weighed the pure lead boolits, and only used 153 gn castings. The good news is that by visual inspection, I see no signs of leading the bore. The bad news is accuracy was abysmal... Also, I had the wife stand to the side and watch for paper confetti. None was spotted, and I could not find any trace of paper. In my mind, if the paper was not shed properly, it would give rise to bad accuracy. At my target 100 yards away, I saw leaves flying as much as 30-40 ft from my target.....

Welcome to smokeless paper patching. My early results were similar to yours. My 336 is now very well behaved with pp. I shoot a .303" bullet, patched up to .311" to be a slip fit in a fired case. No tails, a spot of lead exposed on the base. Lubed with Vaseline/beeswax mix. Loaded over .5cc imr 4227 + enough WC860 to set the correct seating depth so the patch starts to engrave. Paper is 15 lb. Green bar. Velocity close to factory ammo, with accuracy better than I can see. Keep it up, you'll get it figured out.

Boolit Master
    Paper wrap is to shallow on the bullet.
    Where the bullet meets its rifling (pix) wrap to meet __or no more than 1 or 2 thousandths behind the point where your bullet meets engagement with its rifling. ___Always wrap to meet one or the others measurement.

When wrapping low on the bullets side wall_ {as your pix demonstrates} Such wraps are likely to be destroyed or become non-functional at muzzle. My suggestion. Re-read Nobade's comment. Very good info to follow concerning .303 use along with a Super Tip on the Duplexing powders needed to complement such paper wrapping intentions with the caliber pictured.

First of all, welcome to the addiction.
    Secondly - you've got a good wife!

Absence of confetti could mean one of two things; Either the patch is not coming off at the muzzle or the patch is getting ground to dust. I've recovered fired boolits, still wearing their paper patch.

I would suggest slowing the boolit down and see what happens. I have a 'test tube' (in my garage) that I capture my test shots in and that has helped me understand what is going on. Sometimes there are no patch fragments to be found. Sometimes whole patches.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

A spot of exposed lead with no tails looks something like this.

This is printer paper, dry wrapped. Not high grade printer paper mind you.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''