WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: I'm thinking I may need to pull these boolits. What do you think?

I'm thinking I may need to pull these boolits. What do you think?

So I picked up a Lee 310-RF mold for my .44 magnum Super Blackhawk.

I got some cast up, gas checked, sized and lubed. This afternoon I loaded up a few test rounds, and now I'm second guessing myself.

I seated them to the 2nd crimp groove (the one that gives the shortest OAL).

Now I didn't load any nitro heavy loads, but they are on the warm side. I know you're supposed to start at the bottom, but I generally start in the middle.

I have some loaded with 21 grains of W296 and some with 18.5 grains of IMR4227.
    Should I pull them and re-do them seated to the first crimp groove (the longest OAL)?
    I don't think they're compressed, but they are close.

If I need to, thankfully I only loaded 20 of each, so it won't be that big an issue.

Thanks
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

21 grn of 296 seems pretty stout in a 310 grn boolit...

But with boolits, there is usually a crimp groove and then a couple lube grooves, so I wouldn't move the crimp down to the lube grove... It probably won't chamber if you do.

Boolit Master
    If it was a Smith I might worry a little but -- a Ruger? Nah -- shoot 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    21 grn of 296 seems pretty stout in a 310 grn boolit...

But with boolits, there is usually a crimp groove and then a couple lube grooves, so I wouldn't move the crimp down to the lube grove... It probably won't chamber if you do.
    This Lee mold was designed with 2 crimp grooves. You can seat it long or short, depending on your cylinder length.
    I just don't want to spike the pressure too much.

I'm thinking earlmck is likely right. The Ruger, with unfluted cylinder will probably handle it fine.

Boolit Grand Master

Were it me I would go with my instinct and pull the 296 loads. They are 1.5+ gr over the max load listed in #4 CBH and given the shorter OAL I don't see any real need to punish the Ruger. Might be just fine to shoot them but I wouldn't. Or I would do as you suggest and seat out to the 2nd crimp groove.

Just my opinion.

The 18.5 gr loads of 4227 should be fine.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    So I picked up a Lee 310-RF mold for my .44 magnum Super Blackhawk.
    I seated them to the 2nd crimp groove (the one that gives the shortest OAL).
    Now I didn't load any nitro heavy loads, but they are on the warm side.

I have some loaded with 21 grains of W296 and some with 18.5 grains of IMR4227.

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th edition shows the following:
    Lee C430-310-RF
    *296 17.4 start 19.3 max with a cartridge OAL of 1.710
    *H-4227 17.3 start 19.2 max with a cartridge OAL of 1.710

I usually think of a "warm load" as nearing the max suggested load. You are 1.7 gr over the max per this manual. If your OAL is less than 1.710 then that is even worse. Dusty

Oops sorry Larry, I was still checking the manuals before adding my comments. Did not mean to repeat what you posted.
    Last edited by Dusty Bannister; 04-09-2018 at 10:59 AM.

In Remembrance

What Mr. Gibson said in Post #3.............+1.
    I did a single 'test' load in the Pietta .44-40 with 18.0 grs. IMR4227 with that boolit seated deep and didn't blow it up, and now occasionally shoot it over 17.0 grs. as a 'Thumper'.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Master

ultimately your call

I would make up some like you want to try and see how they work. That way I would know for sure and then decide to pull or not
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

I got into loading because I wanted to have a fun hobby. I do not view this hobby as a test of endurance for my equipment or as a platform for daredevil stunts where you shout " hey y'all watch this " before you jump. Be safe and prudent, step away from the ledge.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansas Paul View Post

Now I didn't load any nitro heavy loads, but they are on the warm side. I know you're supposed to start at the bottom, but I generally start in the middle.
    Well, you're using heavy for caliber bullets, magnum powder, and you won't start a new, unknown to you load at the suggested starting level? I'd suggest you pull them, but you may not listen to that either...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I shoot that same bullet in my Red Hawk, I seat them long (1.71) I use 20.8 gr. of 296. If you seat them long, 21 gr. is not to much. Use a kenetic puller and just tap them to the rear most groove and re crimp.

Boolit Grand Master
    By just asking the question, you know you are in a bad place. Let your experience and common sense speak to you.

And if someone here told you it was OK, why would you believe them? There are some very good people here, but some are not.

Asking the powder company for their opinion would be the best advice. But if you are over maximum, they will not suggest shooting that load.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    if you are hesitant but it doesn't sound like u really want to pull you can always load some lighter and work your way up. Just remember though while it is a pain to pull it is much more painful to find out the hard way you should have.

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Well, you're using heavy for caliber bullets, magnum powder, and you won't start a new, unknown to you load at the suggested starting level? I'd suggest you pull them, but you may not listen to that either...
    Touche.

Lot of good advice. Thanks guys.
    I think I'll bump it out to the first crimp groove to be safe.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not an over zealous safety nut, but I am cheap, so I would rather start low and if I felt the need, work up rather than go with higher loads and have to buy a new gun. Fingers get pretty expensive too...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Last week I loaded some mag primers (11 out of 284 rounds) in a load I had worked up for std primers. The load is pushing max published data but it works well for me and is very accurate. I was more ticked off that it got by me before I realized what I was doing.
    I posted asking for advice and the majority said they would shoot them but I knew I wasn't comfortable with it. After stepping back for a minute and calming down I ended up depriming and reprimed with the correct primers. They are loaded and ready to go and I feel good knowing I won't have any surprises.
    I think you're in the same boat. Mi dos centavos

Boolit Grand Master

If you shoot them bring a short rod and mallet just in case you have to help the cases out of the cylinders.
    I discovered that going over the maximum loads can sometimes cause extraction problems in a double action revolver , the cases wouldn't eject normally but the rod and mallet got the cases out one at a time. After firing 5 , I stopped, went to the gunshop and bought a kinetic bullet puller.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

If in doubt pull 'em. IMHO you're too close to the ragged edge on this one and given the variations we have no control over you simply have no margin for error. Most likely your Ruger will handle them fine but when things go from together to apart at over 38K C.U.P. it all happens pretty fast and there's not much you can do about it.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I shoot the same boolits in my SRH loaded just below book max and crimped at the bottom crimp groove. They do ok in my revolver, but won't load in my friends Smith. Probably a good thing.....and I will say they are very accurate @ 25 yards and not slouchy @50.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?