Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: Trying to Find a Copper that will DT

Boolit Buddy

Trying to Find a Copper that will DT

I don't like the bright and neon colors so I've been trying to get a copper that will dry tumble. I think I may just stop here. It's not smooth and.glossy but fully covered, pass the hammer test.and my dummy rounds will.still plunk.like they should,. Now I'll have to see how they shoot.
    What do you think?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180408-200026.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	217975

Boolit Master

Looks good.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

nice job--course once I have decided on something I've been known to keep 'messing' with it to see if I can do better
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    really close, think you got it

Boolit Buddy
    Did you mix different colors to gather? If it is its " own" color, what company did you get it from? I, too, like it better than the bright colors. I guess I could use black, it I like your color much better.

Boolit Buddy
    Schreck, it is a mix of 3 colors. I also make my own fishing jigs and powder coat them so I have a tub of different colors. All of these colors are from TJ's Tackle. I mixed "New Penny" and "Transparent Copper" 50/50 then mixed that 2 parts to 1 part of "Candy Orange". Measures are approximate but pretty close. There is also a bit of clear in the new penny/copper mix to get it to flow a little better. I had to do 3 coats to get that much color.
    When I started playing with it I just mixed the new penny/ copper with the touch of clear but after 2 coats it was too brown. I said heck with it and ended up tossing them in an ice cream tub (not a #5 ) that had black and did 1 coat over the copper and it came out looking like dirty grease. Completely by accident but I think it looks good too, not bright neon.
    When I started playing with PC I didn't have a #5 tub but had the ice cream tub and had some issues. Someone mentioned putting a few Styrofoam shipping peanuts in the bowl to boost static-ability. It did help and I get even more coverage in the cool whip tub with the peanuts. I say this to explain the 3 coats. The candy orange, transparent copper and and of course the clear are very transparent and the colors need to build up. The new penny is very metallic but will suspend in the transparent colors.Here is the grease. You might check with Smoke,pretty sure he has a copper but I believe it has to be sprayed

Name:	Screenshot_20180318-223300.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	218091
    Last edited by MDC; 04-09-2018 at 10:52 PM.

Boolit Master
    > So what powder exactly did you use to get this color?
    Nevermind, you beat me to it

I have some Copper Vein coming from Eastwood, hopefully it will be here by the weekend and I can coat up a few as share some pics.

https://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-pow...pper-vein.html

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You will never find a paint/powered coating that looks and shines like real copper metal. The closest I have ever been is using a REAL copper powdered metal dust, mixed (heavy concentrate) with my custom-made hard wax, rubbed it on, and then used an agate burnisher to bring out the shine when dry. Sorry, this technique is NOT for boolits! It is on restored copper antique items I repair.

But it gives a REAL shiny mirror-like finish. Same with silver and gold powders. Closest thing to gold/silver/copper leaf you can get.

Paints/powders will not do that.

And from all my many years of experimenting with BBDT techniques, metallic particles or graphite in the mix really kills the teeny weeny static charge in your tub. It will coat, but not as good as one might want.

I use my ESPC guns for any metallic powder coating. Plenty of static electric "kick" there!

banger

Boolit Master

Name:	bullets.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	218474

East Wood copper penny.
    Dry tumbles in about 30 seconds in a butter tub without BBs.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan