WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: Coyote call

Boolit Buddy

Coyote call

I'd like to hunt coyotes with CB's in my CZ .222. Anyone have experience with the fawn in distress call? or pup in distress? If so what brands of calls work the best for you?
    Thanks for any help!

I like older Stanley Scruggs fawn distress.Fleabay

Boolit Master
    I recently have been using one of those inexpensive Primo electronic calls with the fawn distress sound and it really brings them in around here plus it will work on bear. I have also been using an old Herters fawn distress mouth call for decades and it has always worked well. For coyotes I usually use either my 30/30, 22 Hornet, or my T/C's in either 9mm or 32/20 all with CB's. Around here most of my shots are under 90 yards. In the 222, a 55 gr CB with a small me plat driven at an MV of about 1900 works just fine out to almost 200 yards and it doesn't do too much pelt damage. BTW - a fawn distress call has a very interesting effect on desert mule deer bucks in the spring but only then it seems.

Boolit Grand Master
    fawn in distress can be made on most open reed
    predator calls and even some howlers
    I use an assortment of different manufacturers and some of my own design
    my guns of choice are the AR15 with high cap mags and a 222 rem and a 220 swift
    depending in the area and animal I am after also 10 and 12 ga shotguns
    use the 222 mostly for fox
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    we use a rabbit call, My son has it on his cell phone, works good

Boolit Master
    I have hand calls but mostly use a Fox Pro electronic caller that I can set out 50 yds or so crosswind. I mostly use a bolt action .223Rem with 55 gr Sierra's and I'm good to go.
    I have had more luck calling in irate whitetail does with the fawn distress than coyotes.

We shot coyotes, well, I should say we shot ~at~ coyotes in Montana back in November. We used the FoxPro electronic call. Coyotes respond to virtually distress call. If they're out there within earshot, and haven't winded you or spotted you, they will circle around and try the wind first, but they will show. No such thing as an un-hungry coyote.

Boolit Man
    In ND there are very few coyotes that haven’t heard calling of some form. And I believe most hunters use an Ecaller. I just use any variety of howler call and just slide down the reed quickly to make a Yipe Yipe Yipe type sound.

Was in a walkabout on Sunday with the hound. About 1 mile in and about dark I had some howling to the east. Sat down and howled 2 times. Than waited and started the Yipeing. I had 2 on a hard line straight to me, befor my dog saw them and decided to run them off!! Good helper huh!!

I had my 500 jrh in my hand so they may have been safe anyway!

I also find that deer will respond quite well to a distress call. Especially a good MD doe. I have done a little bit of spring calling to mess with the deer. Kinda forgot how fun that was! Thanks quilbilly

Edit. Forgot to mention. Dog for sale cheap!!

Boolit Buddy
    The Primos calls do not carry as well as some of the better brands. IMO you need a big horn type speaker or else any creek or wind noise literally covers them up. Even in big quiet clear cuts the Primos we tried last weekend was barely loud enough for us to hear at 75 yards.

Boolit Master
    Around here every Tom, dick and harry seems to running Foxpro’s and the coyotes know it well.

If a fellow is having luck with one I say keep at until it does not work then change your MO real quick.

For mouth calls I like the Critter Call series.

A particular sequence to have in your repertoire is a combo of coyote talk involving toggling between a male challenge howl and a coyote pup in distress. Back and forth.

The alpha pair becomes enraged, get ready for fast action somebody on the team would do well to have a shotgun ready on the stand. You might even have the whole outfit come charging on this one .... five or six dogs even!

Three44s

Boolit Grand Master
    yeah you can't get trapped in the same groove
    these critters are smart and it aint like hunting deer
    consider yourself the bait
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Hunting the hunters!

Best regards

Three44s