RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Finally got one of the NAA Mag-mini-revolver grip/holsters.....

Boolit Master

Finally got one of the NAA Mag-mini-revolver grip/holsters.....

I bought the .22 Magnum NAA mini-revolver 30-35 years ago. Shot it enough to tell that it shot WAAAAAY low -- and that I could not hit much with it. I thought it might be because of the little grips. Then they introduced the grip/holster. I wanted one, but it was only for the .22LR version. Then they added both fat and long grips to the list, but they did not appeal to me. Since I could not shoot worth a darn with it, it got put back in the back of the gunsafe and I did not shoot it again for a long time.

I was recently watching the Hichkock45 on YouTube and he said they now make a grip/holster for the .22 Magnum, so I ordered one. It did not fit. I e-mailed NAA and they said that my gun was old enough they did not fit. However, they would send me a new mainspring and once installed, the grips would fit (the main pivot pin for the grip/holster went right through the mainspring).

NAA sent me a newer mainspring and I eventually installed it. The top of the spring has to fit in a notch in the hammer. When bending the bottom of the spring with needlenose pliers and pushing it upward, it is really easy for the top to slip out of location, over the notch. It is easy to tell when that happens; the hammer will not move. Eventually, I was able to get both ends of the mainspring into their proper places at the same time. The grip/holster fit perfectly. I don't feel much difference between the old spring and the new spring. I don't really know why they changed it.

I took it to the range to try it out. It still shoots WAAAAAY low at 5 yards. The small grip was not the reason for that. By lining up the bottom of the front sight with the top of the rear "sight", I was able to shoot in the general area of the center. It is never going to be a target gun, but it does shoot (or I shoot) better than it did before with the small grips.

I once used to carry the gun about 30 years ago when I was between real jobs for a few months. I was working as a guard on the midnight to 8AM shift at a manufacturing plant that had had a number of break-ins and thefts. I had to walk a 20 minute route once an hour while marking my presence at about 10 different places along the route. The company had strict rules that you could not carry ANY weapon (including a flashlight with more than 2 D-cell batteries or a one with a metal housing). Remember, this was before cell phones. We were expected to outrun the thiefs back to the guardshack and call the police from there. The company supervisor checked we were not sleeping, neglecting our rounds, or carrying a weapon at least once every two or three shifts. He never found the NAA revolver. I carried it in a hardcover eyeglass case in my shirt pocket. Luckily, I never had to use it.

Unfortunately, the grip/holster makes it too large for an eyeglass case, but it is really not that much bigger when folded, than it was before. I bet I could still find a place to hide it again, if I had to.
    Last edited by Harry O; 04-08-2018 at 05:10 PM.

Boolit Master

Nice story. And I like the glasses case! Good for you and may all the nannies go to hell!

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    try an old flip-phone case
    Loren

My wife bought one about 20 years ago. It does well with .22 mag but is hopeless with .22 LR. There are deep gouges in the bore form boreing which completely transect the rifling lands. That is a disapointment but the gun is a serious contact/near contact weapon.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    I bought one 25 yrs ago, that came with the belt buckle it snaps into. I never fired it. Guess it's time to try it out.

We always called those "noseblowers" or "Get off me" guns. I would have done the same as you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    The ones that come with a front and rear site like the pug are great. The rubber grips help too. Fits great in a leather man pouch. Used mine to kill a varmint in the chicken coop.

Boolit Master

skeeter2,

Do you know which Leatherman pouch you use? Thanks.

Cat

Boolit Man
    Its the leatherman rebar. Its make of cloth with a velcro closure. The grip sticks out a little near the top, but a shirt over it hides it well. They also hide well in the key pocket of your pants.

Boolit Buddy
    I carried mine in the front left breast pocket of my button down work shirt for years.....wore holes in shirts and a bit off one side of barrel. Mine happened to be extremely accurate, I could hit head size targets easily out to 30-35 yards if I did my part. I still have it, even though I don't carry it regularly, I wouldn't feel under protected with it to this day. It is one of the 22 Mag versions.

Finding new and different ways of hiding one of these little guys is part of the fun. It never ends when you're trying to invent new ways of carrying these things.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Boolit Master

Thanks skeeter.

Cat

I've never owned one of those little guns it always wanted one . In the groups opinion is really worth getting the 22mag version over the 22lr ? I know my dads 22mag single six is pretty darn loud compared to the LR. Can only image the same in 1-2" barrel . Would the more expensive ammo, slightly heavier bullet and few extra fps still be worth the bark of that little gun .

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    RU shooter: I wondered the same thing when I was planning to get one. I decided to go with the Magnum instead of the .22LR. I think I made the right choice. I learned VERY QUICKLY that this is NOT a plinking gun that you are going to run a lot of cartridges through. You have to take it apart, knock out the cases individually, reload, and put it back together for each cylinder full. That takes some time, since the parts and very small and easy to drop. Shooting, reloading, shooting, and reloading again gets old pretty quick. A standard, full sized single action is much easier and quicker to reload. You will probably not be shooting enough cartridges through the NAA to make or break your bank account.

Check the NAA website for cartridge ballistics. They have a LOT of different ammunition shot through their guns in both 1" and 1-5/8" barrels. Many years ago, not long after I bought my first chrono (may it rest in peace), I checked a few cartridges against their figures. They were close enough that I trust what they list. One .22 Mag load in particular was more powerful in their gun than others. It is the CCI Maxi-Mag +V, 30gr hollowpoint. Not only is it more powerful than the heavier bullet .22 Magnums (because of velocity), it is a good deal more powerful than any of the .22LR's that they list. It is still a mousegun, but if I ever need it, I want as much mousefart as I can out of it.