Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter projects

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Winter projects

I had never built a Poor Boy rifle, so figured I needed one.
    So, once you have a new rifle, you need to make a new bag and horn, and a knife to skin beaver with. I also made a measure, ball bag, knapping tool, and turnscrew to service the rifle.
    .53 Green River Rifle Works barrel, unknown original lock, and forged out the thimbles, sights, and trigger guard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00100.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	217919

Name:	DSC00103.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	217920

Name:	DSC00105.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	217921

Name:	DSC00106.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	217922

Name:	DSC00109.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	217923
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

WOW! What is the knife handle made of?

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    WOW! What is the knife handle made of?
    It's brass and cow horn.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I do believe you must be one of those time travelers ,cause what you created looks as original as a original (out standing ) !

Pretty fine looking rocklock outfit, there - nice work !

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Nice work!!!
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Looks mighty fine! Hard to tell from the pictures...did you put a butt plate on the rifle?
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Quote Originally Posted by waarp8nt View Post
    Looks mighty fine! Hard to tell from the pictures...did you put a butt plate on the rifle?

No, it's a typical Poor Boy.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    No, it's a typical Poor Boy.
    That's what I figured, but had to ask....

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

It looks anything but poor to me!
    I love looking at your creations. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Not too shabby for a rookie. How's it shoot?
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Quote Originally Posted by gon2shoot View Post
    Not too shabby for a rookie. How's it shoot?
    After a fouling shot, at 50 yards the first load went into 1.5". I upped the charge 5 gr., and it was one hole, if I could hold it well enough. I'm going to have to try in at 100 yards when we get a nice day.

So I ended up with 70 gr. 3fff, pillow ticking patch with Moose Milk, and .520 RB.

Being a GRRW barrel, pretty much as I expected.

Boolit Buddy

Very nice work as always, great craftsmanship.

Boolit Master

Very nice!
    Rifle gun, bag, horn & knife. Either you work real fast or you had one looong winter. We're finally able to see dirt (mud) around here.

Totally awesome. Given the right set of clothes you could make people believe in time travel with that rig.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    Very nice!
    Rifle gun, bag, horn & knife. Either you work real fast or you had one looong winter. We're finally able to see dirt (mud) around here.
    We are currently in winter month #7 here.

Attachment 218068

Fruit trees are budding in our area, yet we woke up to snowfall this morning. Winter is hanging around a little extra long this year, here in Illinois. Since your somewhat farther North, when do expect decent weather to hit in your area?

Boolit Master

thread drift warning

when do expect decent weather to hit in your area?
    any minute now, but it probably won't last.
    I think it will be two or three weeks before I will be able to work in the garden.

Attachment 218068

Fruit trees are budding in our area, yet we woke up to snowfall this morning. Winter is hanging around a little extra long this year, here in Illinois. Since your somewhat farther North, when do expect decent weather to hit in your area?
    I've seen a lot of Memorial Day weekends with snow. Also mid-June, July 4, August 15, September 21. We always get three months of summer, we just never know which three.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Fine winter project.... should make for a good companion tromping about the lonely areas.
    Interesting that 3F works so well.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast