Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Star Firestar M43 9mm

Boolit Master

Star Firestar M43 9mm

A friend came by yesterday and gave me a blue Firestar 9mm, with 2 factory magazines. He's had it for 25 yrs, bought it new, and never fired it, or carried it. Been in his dresser drawer all that time. I had one back in 1992. It was "gun of the year" by American Firearms Industry. All steel, SA Semi Auto. I carried it back then, but would not consider this for concealed carry these days. Much too heavy. Sad to see Star was on top of the world with these pistols in the early 90's, and went out of business in 1997. Cleaning it now, hope to shoot it this afternoon. It feels great in the hand. I remember they shot well. Anyone else still have one of these classics?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    A friend came by yesterday and gave me a blue Firestar 9mm, with 2 factory magazines. He's had it for 25 yrs, bought it new, and never fired it, or carried it. Been in his dresser drawer all that time. I had one back in 1992. It was "gun of the year" by American Firearms Industry. All steel, SA Semi Auto. I carried it back then, but would not consider this for concealed carry these days. Much too heavy. Sad to see Star was on top of the world with these pistols in the early 90's, and went out of business in 1997. Cleaning it now, hope to shoot it this afternoon. It feels great in the hand. I remember they shot well. Anyone else still have one of these classics?
    I have the 40 and 45 versions, they are built like tanks. Really excellent pistols in my opinion.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a Firestar 9mm back in the '70s. Was an excellent pistol. It shot extremely well with Lyman's 356402 over 4 gr Bullseye. I sold it when I became un-enamored with the 9mm cartridge. Now that I am older and wiser(?) I wish I still had the Firestar.......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I have one as well as the nephew. What a shooter. If ya want to get rid of it , give me a holler.

Congratulations on the new gun and having such a good friend. Both are prizes in my book. I have it in 9mm (Starvel) .40 S&W (Blue) and in twins (Blue and Starvel) in .45 ACP. Some of the finest shooters I have ever owned. Hold on to it or you will be sorry like so many previous owner are.
    SPJ

Some of the best shooting compact .45s (no direct experience with 9s or .40s) around, but part of how they do it is by weighing as much as a full-size.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

I miss mine too. Congrats on yours!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Took it out and fired 50 rds of 115 gr FMJ over Bullseye powder. Slow, rapid, or with one hand, it was a joy to shoot. Going to try it with the new Hydra Shok Deep ammo. If it runs 100%, it will reside in my desk drawer.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an M43 9mm also, and absolutely love it. A close companion to the Astra A70. Both built like tanks, all steel, very reliable. And craftsmanship. The whole Spanish firearms story of the 90's was a sad affair.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Man
    Got one in 9mm back in the 90's for my Wife. Still have it, and the last time she shot it, she took the head off of a snake in the back yard with 1 shot. The head was no bigger than my thumb. It still shoots good.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a 40 and a spare slide in 9 mm. They are darned good guns.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy

I have one in 45 cal. Shoots fine and eats everything you feed it. Good pistol.
    John

Boolit Master
    Very nice pistols indeed, made when men were strong enough to carry a all steel handgun all day! now we have all those nice plastic ones.