Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Marlin 881 thoughts?

Marlin 881 thoughts?

I've been wanting a bolt action 22 that is tube fed for a long time. Sure like the looks of it.

Anyone have one? Give any problems?

Once owned a Marlin 880 and it was a good shooter and no problems. I don't know what a 881 is but sometimes it's a model with a hardwood stock maybe ? My 880 had a walnut stock and tube mag.

Jedman

My research says an 880 is a box magazine, and the 881 is the tube fed magazine. I've always had a thing for tube magazines instead of box magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    My research says an 880 is a box magazine, and the 881 is the tube fed magazine. I've always had a thing for tube magazines instead of box magazines.
    My mistake ! I must have had a M 881. It has been 30+ years ago and I just thought it was a 880 but after looking a images of both rifles I did have a tube mag.
    Anyway I would recommend them. Mine shot great but at that time I was really into shotguns and probably traded it off, can't remember well anymore.

Jedman

I understand trading around. I've got a list of all the ones I've had, and its been almost 100. I had a marlin 925, and a 925M for a while, wish i'd kept'm along with a slew of others.

Boolit Master

I had a 781 a loonging time ago. Shot great. Accurate enough to hit a squirrel in the head at 75 yards. Stolen.
    It was a great gun. That MAG TUBE made for easier carrying one-handed at the balance point.
    Last edited by Walks; 04-09-2018 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    I have an 881 and love it. One of the JM guns before Remington ruined the brand.
    I like the tube feed also, It holds 14 rounds instead of a 7 round clip. Mine likes CCI Mini Mags and Stingers both but does fine with any decent ammo. It wears a 3-9 rimfire scope with parallax set at 50yds. Only problem is I don't shoot it as much as I should.
    I had a 783 (22wmr) for years but it was stolen and ended up replacing it with an 883ss. I'd like to have another 783 or blued 883. Basically the same as the 881 just a different chamber.

I dont know anything bout the 781, othern that the 881 grew out of it. I find that a tube magazine is easier to reload in the field than a box magazine is.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My best friend has the 880 and it's an outstanding rifle. The 881 should just be the tube feed version.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

One thing I like about a tube magazine is you can't lose it , you can lose the tube if your careless but not as easy as a 22 box mag. But either way I haven't heard a bad word about the old Marlin rimfire bolt action models.

Jedman

Boolit Bub
    Is the 881 the newer derivation of the 81? I picked up a Model 81 very reasonably recently. It was made in May of 1966 and has a grooved receiver for scope use. This rifle has a walnut stock and is everything a person could want for a field grade 22 plinker/sporting rifle.
    Duke

Yes, the 881 is the continuation of the 81. According to the gunsmith I talked to atleast, I aint handled either. The 880 series is now discontinued too.

Boolit Master
    I have a 981T that's ugly as sin, but is one of those rare rifles that will shoot just about anything into less than an inch at 50 yards. Ammo it really preferred was just over 1/2' while stuff it really hated went about 1 1/4' inch. My son uses it now, that reminds me, I need to get it back and he needs to buy his own!

Boolit Master
    881's are a good little rifle like its predecessor the 781 they both evolved from the 81. the big difference between the 881 & 781 is the safety on a 781 you pull the safety pack to fire and on a 881 you push it forward. the 81 and 781 differed by the grooved top on the receiver. Sound rifles all.