Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: 10-12-20 Range

Boolit Master

10-12-20 Range

Made it to the range Thursday . Was able to get some quality groups with my circa 1891 Parker EH 10 gauge 2 frame with factory 28” CYL/IC barrels shooting the Russian knockoff for a 10 gauge of the Lyman sabot slug . It weighs about 620-630 grains . I also recently got a mold for the Lyman 20 gauge 350 grain sabot slug . I tried this one in my little circa 1928 Parker VHE 20 gauge 0 frame 28” M/F barrels . In once fired AA hulls they did pretty well in the CB knockoff wad . I wanna try some more . Also had my semi recently acquired 1968 Browning A-5 12 MAG with an also Belgium made 24” slug barrel . I shot factory in the Browning and it did exceptionally well at 25 and 50 yards shooting 3” Remington , Winchester and Feferal slugs . These were all the none premium stuff . While I was pretty satisfied with the whole thing I wanna try all three a couple more times .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    I have about 30 rounds of 10 gauge 2 7/8" with 1 1/8 ounce #8's and 19 grains of Red Dot for the 28" Parker 10 gauge . Also have approx. 100 rounds of 28 gauge loaded for the little circa 1970 Belguim Browning Superposed 28 gauge skeet gun . Might bring along a couple boxes of 12 and a couple boxes of 20 for my Parker VHE 20 and VH 12 . Can shoot Jap Wobble Trap with the 12 and possibly the 20 .

Wish I had some slugs loaded so I could go to the rifle range and try them after skeet/trap !

Really enthused to see how this open choked 10 does on the skeet field with the rather LIGHT 1 1/8 shot / Red Dot load .

Boolit Master
    My old new to me Parker 10 gauge did fair to middling today at the skeet field went 46 out of 50 . I don’t usually shoot many straight rounds with the 10 gauge guns , typically it’s 23 or 24 for a round . So for a first trip I’m satisfied . Shot some Jap Trap with my other Parker EH #2 frame 30” barrels that’s choked full and fuller and made it 17 stations before I ran out of shells , not my best round of Jap Trap but not bad either .

6pt,

1968 browning, when did you start buying new guns?
    A fellow I used to hunt with had a full choked browning light 12. He and shotgun were deadly on deer out to 75 yards, with just a front bead. I swear you could hear the foster sqweak going through that tight choke.

What is Jap trap?

BB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    6pt,

1968 browning, when did you start buying new guns?
    A fellow I used to hunt with had a full choked browning light 12. He and shotgun were deadly on deer out to 75 yards, with just a front bead. I swear you could hear the foster sqweak going through that tight choke.

What is Jap trap?

BB
    I’ve got nine Brownings that were made between 1951 and 1970 . Pair of Superposed 12’s , pair of Superposed 20’s a Superposed 28 a Superposed 410 , A-5 Lite 20 , A-5 12 MAG and a Browning Challenger .

Boolit Master
    For Jap Trap you need a field that has both skeet houses and a trap house . But you just use the trap thrower and shoot from the skeet stations . Start at Skeet station 1 and you shoot until you break a bird then to the next and shoot until you break a bird . Best I’ve ever done with a box of shells was 23 stations which means I missed twice . Usually I shoot until I break the bird but recently we instituted a rule that you shot three times and then to the next station . That’s to help newcomers , I have seen a few people not make it to station three before using up there 25 shots . We have three dual fields at my club . But on field one the trap thrower also has wobble capabilities which means not only does it oscillate right and left but it also changes elevation . I actually prefer shooting Jap Wobble Trap just because it has the vertical element . Not only does it throw high riders but it’ll throw a bird that kinda reminds you of a rabbit it’s so flat .

Boolit Master
    Ah, Scrap, makes trap much more interesting! We open the horizontal all the way and speed it up to bunker speed, makes it WAY interesting. Near straights with the 10 is impressive, those muzzles are wide
    We been known to shoot skeet pairs from the trap stations as well, usually about the 20 yard line, pretty quick. Especially from a low gun position.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos