Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Can Alliant Red Dot be used for 9mm?

Boolit Bub

Can Alliant Red Dot be used for 9mm?

Guys...I recently came into a great buy for 4lbs of Red Dot. I understand that it is a great powder for 45 ACP, but can it be used for 9 mm? I am using lee powder coated Tumble Lube 120 grain bullets, which drop at around 128 grn. I do have a .45acp, but shoot 9mm a lot more. Thx

Boolit Master

Yes it can. Older Lyman books have loads for it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman44_9mm_loads.jpg 
Views:	990 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	217894
    The real question is, do you really want to? Small amounts of large flake powder can be a pain to measure consistently. The right measure and some vibration can help.
    Last edited by HangFireW8; 04-08-2018 at 12:26 AM.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

My favorite load is 4 grains of it with a 124 grain boolit. 1050 fps or so.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    I use it all the time with 102-1R, 120-TC, 124-TC, 124-2R, as well as some jacketed 130s. I have also experimented with 147gr Mod.SWC & 158- SWC in the 9MM as well.

I have used it with handgun, shotgun & rifle. It is a decent economical fast burning powder.
    4#s should last a good long time, even if ya shoot a lot.

Shoot it up!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned
    Red dot work great for 9mm loading in my opinion.

Boolit Buddy
    I run 3.8 gr of red dot with a lee powder coated 120 gr tc bullet . shoots good out of all 3 of my 9mm's

Yep, mostly I shoot 3 grains under 125 gr cast fairly soft but for my Hipoint Carbine in 9mm I have gone as high as 4.5 grains. Would not recomend those for pistol, they are fairly snappy even in the carbine.

I love Red Dot, shoot it in everything, rifles, shotgun, pistol.

Semi auto rifles is probably its weakest point.

Boolit Master
    The current Lyman 4th Ed. CB Handbook lists 9MM Red Dot loads. Red Dot works great in 9MM.

There are very, very few cartridges that Red Dot WON'T work in. A "must have"powder for me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    There are very, very few cartridges that Red Dot WON'T work in. A "must have"powder for me!

What he said. The only guns I own that cannot use RD/Promo are 20 and 28 ga shotguns. It may not always be the best choice but it will work.
    Don Verna

Banned

same load here. I use about any 120-130 grain 9mm bullet with 3 grains of redot. About as cheap as buying 22lr shells and a heck of a lot more fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Yep, mostly I shoot 3 grains under 125 gr cast fairly soft but for my Hipoint Carbine in 9mm I have gone as high as 4.5 grains. Would not recomend those for pistol, they are fairly snappy even in the carbine.

I love Red Dot, shoot it in everything, rifles, shotgun, pistol.

Semi auto rifles is probably its weakest point.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    same load here. I use about any 120-130 grain 9mm bullet with 3 grains of redot. About as cheap as buying 22lr shells and a heck of a lot more fun.
    I was hesitant to give actual loads but I shoot the same load as Lloyd. Its a fun load with accuracy and little recoil.

Boolit Master

I use 3.8gr under a 124gr bullet
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Castpics.net load data page has .pdf of Hercules and Alliant load manuals. Lots of red dot loads listed.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    I use it all the time with 102-1R, 120-TC, 124-TC, 124-2R, as well as some jacketed 130s. I have also experimented with 147gr Mod.SWC & 158- SWC in the 9MM as well.

I have used it with handgun, shotgun & rifle. It is a decent economical fast burning powder.
    4#s should last a good long time, even if ya shoot a lot.

Shoot it up!
    What charge did you start with for those 158 grainers?
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

It turned my 25-06 into a 25-20 with aplomb. I got the load for Red Dot out of the Lyman manual and never had to tweak it at all.

Boolit Buddy
    3.8 to 4.1 under a 124g TC. Found that seating depth was pretty important also. Don't know if that is due to pressure variation or distance to the lands. My Hi Power loves this load.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DanWalker View Post
    What charge did you start with for those 158 grainers?
    Since I have already provided that sort of info in another topic, I will share it here, although I am hesitant to do so. ( Some folks have given me a hard time for sharing such methods & I don't need the hassle of it by sharing too much.)

Started with 2.3gr. Red Dot in a 9mm Ruger SR9 for the Lee 158gr. SWC. ( IIRC, there were some feed issues due to the angle of the ramp in that firearm at the time. I may have mentioned that in that topic, but I do not remember right now.)

Best for me at the time was 2.6gr.

Here is the chrony data from the testing I did at the time( Every other data set is 158gr with a mod. 147 gr. in between, IIRC):
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post4187098

Here is the topic itself from the beginning:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...mm-147gr-158gr

-----------------------

Disclaimer/Note - There was a lot of pre planning(thinking things thru & research involved) before I did these tests, along with checking & double checking measurements, etc.. Part of which may be explained/shared in that topic. Some of it might not. ( I did not re-read the whole topic so I don't know & cannot remember now...)
    For example... Making sure the bases of the boolits were not being pushed too far into the case & raising pressures, as well as some other important things that are usually said by others here to be "advanced" info above basic reloading levels.

( I do not remember sharing COLs/OALs & such. I would have to go thru the whole topic to recall. They may be in that topic, but see below about the risks involved...)

If someone is not able to do the pre planning, research & due diligence necessary to test such things safely, then I recommend that folks do not try these things without a lot of thought.

Anyone who decides to do such things as mentioned here, & in the links provided, are doing so ON THEIR OWN, AT THEIR OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE for what others do in regard to experimenting with such methods.

If someone does not know what they are doing, I recommend that people DO Not do such testing or experiments, & stick to using up to date reloading manuals & load data provided by ammunition, powder, projectile & firearms manufacturers, for their reloading information,load data & methods..

Just because the info shared was done, does not mean it should be done by others.

Remember, the Risk is YOURS, not Mine...

Be safe.
    Last edited by JBinMN; 11-20-2019 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Yeah. I had to do some butt covering a bit...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o