Titan ReloadingRepackboxPBcastcoLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Help with star sizer

Boolit Buddy

Help with star sizer

I recently purchased a star Sizer from a member here and I need a little help figuring it out. Every time I size a bullet I get three little blobs of lube on the bottom side of the boolit if I adjust the punch out so that the boolit is push deeper into the die I start getting lube on the nose of the boolit and still on the base of the boolit. Is it possible that the valve is worn out on the Sizer causing it to push out grease when it’s not supposed to? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	890E8E72-46E4-42D0-843D-754D6F1B3DB5.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	217883Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09D6D77C-00C1-422A-906B-05BD2BE6E6E3.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	217884

This is a common problem. Here's what I do to get it going:

1. Decrease the pressure
    2. Speed up the lever movement
    3. If you have a heater, decrease the temp slightly
    4. Make your depth adjustments very minor (it may take several to get it right)

I hope this helps. Other members may have something better.

You'll learn to love that Star.

Henry

Here's the link to the Star Owner's Manual: http://www.magmaengineering.com/PDF/Star_Sizer.pdf

This should help to answer some of your questions.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    This is a common problem. Here's what I do to get it going:

1. Decrease the pressure
    2. Speed up the lever movement
    3. If you have a heater, decrease the temp slightly
    4. Make your depth adjustments very minor (it may take several to get it right)

I hope this helps. Other members may have something better.

You'll learn to love that Star.

Henry
    I agree

There's lube in the groove so it looks like the punch is adjusted correctly. Dots or lines of of lube on the base or nose indicates too much pressure or too much heat. I get this if I get over anxious and start sizing with too much heat. I just let it cool a bit and start over later.

Banned
    The punch may be a little deep in my opinion along with too much pressure and too hot a temp. I can get the same results on my Stars if I am a hair too deep too hot and have too much pressure.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    Here's the link to the Star Owner's Manual: http://www.magmaengineering.com/PDF/Star_Sizer.pdf

This should help to answer some of your questions.

Fred
    The only thing wrong with that Fred is that people never read the manuals. Its much easier to go on line and ask questions and receive hopefully what might be the right answers.

Banned

are you plugging off he unneeded lube holes? For a single lube grove bullet you only need one row open and if your plugging them make sure there sealed well. Ive had them leak by at times. Add to that they others suggestions here about balancing lube pressure and temp.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    are you plugging off he unneeded lube holes? For a single lube grove bullet you only need one row open and if your plugging them make sure there sealed well. Ive had them leak by at times. Add to that they others suggestions here about balancing lube pressure and temp.
    Good point that I missed. My dies don't have the extra holes to plug all custom made by lathesmith.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    The only thing wrong with that Fred is that people never read the manuals. Its much easier to go on line and ask questions and receive hopefully what might be the right answers.
    I did print out and read the manual before asking. Unfortunately the manual just gives the basics and does not have a trouble shooting section. I also went through 5 pages of threads before I asked as well. I have been on this forum for 3 years and feel blessed to be apart of it. Thanks to all!
    Last edited by Dpmsman; 04-08-2018 at 09:37 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    My die has two rows of holes middle and bottom. The middle row was plunged so I drilled out those and plugged the bottom. Then readjust the punch this didn't change my problem. I don't have a heater for it so I must be getting crazy with the pressure. This is my first lube sizer and being that its most likely 40-50 years old I wanted to make sure there's nothing wore internally.

Thanks for the help

Boolit Buddy
    Well I figured out the problem wasn't with the Sizer "surprise surprise" but it was with the user. The handle on it is bent down quite a bit so I was not pressing it down far enough to actuate the pump. Once I started pressing the handle down all the way my problem fixed itself in no time since I didn't have to keep ratcheting up the pressure to fill up the grease Groove. All I have to say is wow is this a step up from the tumble Lube system I had been using! What an amazing piece of equipment! I can sure see why people rave about them.

Jon

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpmsman View Post
    Well I figured out the problem wasn't with the Sizer "surprise surprise" but it was with the user. The handle on it is bent down quite a bit so I was not pressing it down far enough to actuate the pump. Once I started pressing the handle down all the way my problem fixed itself in no time since I didn't have to keep ratcheting up the pressure to fill up the grease Groove. All I have to say is wow is this a step up from the tumble Lube system I had been using! What an amazing piece of equipment! I can sure see why people rave about them.

Jon
    There is nothing out there better than the Star/Magma bullet sizer lubricaators. next to them everything else is junk in my opinion.

the only lubers I have had were a RCBS LAM2 it worked ok but gave me a few problems then I got a star I can do bullets easer cleaner and faster with the star with a little tweaking they work great with each cal. I do D Crockett

Boolit Bub
    Like OldHenry said;but make only one change at a time and test thouroughly(changing a set up and testing right away won't show you the real change your modification will have made.Modify and wait for the temp or pressure to stabilize to the change before you re test).Make your changes in small increments and once you're there,write down the specs for that die and bullet for the next time you're gonna use it.
    I know,I know;I too have used the:''I'll remember ''phrase.I'm not so old but I've managed to forget some.Now,I take notes.

Hi All,
    I was lucky enough to discover a Star Lubesizer in a box at a rummage sale today. Still has the lube in it, from the dust and dirt i'd say 20 years worth. I'm thinking this is the one that was used by the local police department for 38 special wad cutters. It was replaced with another one of new vintage back then. It has been repaired by someone with terrible welding skills but still appears somewhat functional. The spring at the bottom that pumps lube appears to have been ground off a coil and a half. Just a guess, but i'm betting that's how they controlled lube pressure with the pump.
    This is great place to learn how things should work but I'm thinking I need to replace this spring. I've watched several video's and this one seems to be much heavier, for sure it doesn't push the "arm" all the way to it's range. Any idea where I might locate parts for this old warrior, I'm on a budget
    Thanx

Moderator Emeritus

I think I'd call them about having them rebuild it.
    But if you want to try and tackle it yourself, I would assume they would be the only place to procure a correct Spring.

http://www.magmaengineering.com/magma-star-lube-sizer/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001