WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Had my first Squib load... I feel like a failure

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Went bout 40 years with out a squib but in last year i have had bout 20 cant figure why.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Nothing is 100% foolproof. Visual inspection is one of the worst ways especially during long sessions or fatigue.

At least it was not a double charge!

I have had about five squibs in 500,000 loads but have never had one on the 1050 since adding a powder check die. Same with the 650 before I sold it.

They are embarrassing but I doubt anyone who has loaded any amount of ammunition can say they never had one.
    This is very true. ^^^^^^
    I like the powder checker.

On the bright side a squib is probably better than a double!

35 years ago I bulged a barrel on my 5" 1911 Govt. I think the first, low-power bullet almost came out of the barrel and the second pushed both out.

But that overpressured the barrel and bulged it. As the slide came back on the second bullet, the barrel bushing hung up on the bulge. I had to pound the slide to get it to go back into battery so I could take it apart.

Still don't know exactly what happened.

A few weeks ago I was testing some light .357 Cowboy loads in my New Vaquero. Sure enough, one of them had no powder. The primer pushed the 125 grain cast boolit into the throat. I couldn't even spin the cylinder. And of course, I didn't have a barrel rod of any kind.

Fortunately, it was easy to clear the bullet. No harm done.

Just this morning at the range, there were two underpowered loads that stopped the Winchester 1897 pump shotguns -- and the competition -- cold until the problems were sorted out.

One of the guys bought a new-fangled adjustable charge bar for his shotgun reloader. Then he loaded up 100 12-ga.

To his chagrin, he said most of them had no powder in them because something went haywire with the charge bar. Had to cut them all apart to salvage the shot and primers.

Did any of us fail? Yep, that once.

Most of us learn and go on. It's just too much fun to cast, reload and shoot.

Boolit Master
    It happens to ever handloader ,but if you pay attention when shooting you'll stop and check if something sounds/feels different .its a wake up call that we all make mistakes .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123