Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Had my first Squib load... I feel like a failure

Boolit Master
    When and how did we get from calling a bullet stuck in a barrel a squib load? The word originated with a guy named Squibb who designed a few bullet molds. The old Lyman/Ideal #311413 was/is a Squibb bullet for example. Sometimes the level of mis-use of words in the English language is astonishing, made worse by people not knowing (or caring) about how easily the vernacular can be twisted out of shape.

Super Moderator

I've had one sqib load, lodged a boolit in my 357 Contender. It was on a Dillon 550, the little nylon square bushing fell out of the powder measure slide bar. No powder was being dispensed. The primer force alone drove the boolit about an inch up the barrel. I had to spend a few hours pulling boolits...Now I check to make sure all the linkages are tightened, and all parts are in place before starting a new session.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    When and how did we get from calling a bullet stuck in a barrel a squib load? The word originated with a guy named Squibb who designed a few bullet molds. The old Lyman/Ideal #311413 was/is a Squibb bullet for example. Sometimes the level of mis-use of words in the English language is astonishing, made worse by people not knowing (or caring) about how easily the vernacular can be twisted out of shape.
    First time I've heard of Mr. Squib. A person can learn if information is available. Seems I have read of squib loads for years but don't do as much reading as I used to. Too many magazines today have articles that are infomercials that are full of grammar and spelling errors.

Boolit Master
    From what I could find Mr Squibb (1900's bullet designs) came after the use of squib for describing small explosive charges (mid-1800's). I saw one reference to squib loads being used by the Chinese although I could not find if squib was derived from the Chinese word or if Mr Squibb had something to do with explosives work in the 1800's.

I suspect the use of squib to describe faulty ammuntion came from the explosives world, eg, "It didn't feel like a full load, kinda like a squib."

Boolit Master

I carry a push rod from a 350 Chevy
    Will work for 9mm and larger
    Hardened and polished, they do not mess up the gun
    And from most auto service places, they are FREE
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    From what I could find Mr Squibb (1900's bullet designs) came after the use of squib for describing small explosive charges (mid-1800's). I saw one reference to squib loads being used by the Chinese although I could not find if squib was derived from the Chinese word or if Mr Squibb had something to do with explosives work in the 1800's.

I suspect the use of squib to describe faulty ammuntion came from the explosives world, eg, "It didn't feel like a full load, kinda like a squib."
    Hasn’t happen to me Yet

Boolit Master
    Had a few over the years .set my scale wrong 2grains not 7 I wanted, one boolits stopped half out of the end of the barrel ,should of taken a photo ! Pulled the rest and weighed the powder found my error .I find new ways to screw up every now and then.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    I'll add on to this. So far my only squib occurred right after starting to wet tumble brass. It was very frightening and more so after thinking about it because it happened in my wife's gun while she was shooting. Fortunately the bullet stuck in the lead of the barrel and prevented another round from chambering. I hate to think what might have been if the bullet was stuck further down the barrel!

As it turned out I pulled apart the remaining bullets and found 2 more with wet powder. Thankfully no one was hurt in either case!
    Exactly what happened to me, but only my gun and not the wife's. Pulled all the remaining bullets from the batch and found 2-3 with powder that appears to have been wet and stuck to the instead of the case.

Boolit Man
    We all do it from time to time. I agree that if it hasn’t happened you just haven’t reloaded long enough cause it sure can. Nobody plans to have it happen.

I do like the idea of throwing in some blanks for the kids to recognize. And learn to stop and look things over.

You might be able to shake brass and hear the powder. Or someone could. Not me.
    Most likely with a fast powder it was a missed charge. Not a half charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleatus View Post
    Exactly what happened to me, but only my gun and not the wife's. Pulled all the remaining bullets from the batch and found 2-3 with powder that appears to have been wet and stuck to the instead of the case.
    Since that time my practice has changed. Now it goes into the toaster oven @200* timer set for 1/2hr and it is then left in the oven until I can handle it with bare hands. Then it gets but into a large jar and sits. I have enough brass that I don't have to rush as I do not want that experience again.

Boolit Master
    Most of my squibs came after using my progressive press. Up until then the few I experienced were due to wet cases.

When I first got the press everything went really well. Then I didn't reload for a couple of years. When I started back I had some setup issues with the powder metering, mostly stupid mistakes. I had probably 10 or 15 squibs, in different calibers. After pulling bullets from over 100 rounds I went back and found my setup issues and have not had a problem since.

I have also changed my "quality control" procedure to checking things more often and am not afraid to toss 10 or 20 cartridges if I have any doubts about them at all.

Back in the early 70's I used to occasionally get a squib while shooting my .458. Only the primer would fire. I finally traced it to the granules of walnut hull sticking in the primer hole. It did not happen every time, but often enough that I had to take each tumbled case and check the primer hole. If blocked I punched the granule out with an awl. Not only did the bullet stick in the bore, or maybe the forcing cone, but when the case was extracted it dumped 68 gr. of IMR 3031 into the action. Nasty mess to deal with on the range. Brodie

Boolit Master
    Just joined up. But I've been reloading for 30 years, and normally load cast in 32S&W Long, 38 Special, and 44 Special. Got in a new GP100 5" in 44 Special; had some Nosler JHP loads lying around, and I learned why Elmer Kieth said to be careful of jacketed bullets. Fired two rounds, and they were ok; next one made a "pop", and I checked the barrel. Nosler bullet was flush with the end of the barrel. It will be a spell before I do any more jacketed bullets, but will stick to 240 grain lead swc's.

Boolit Master

They also happen when you leave the ammo in the sun and the lube melts into the powder.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Ive had a couple in 44/40,always caused by bullet lube getting into the case.One shot the bullet fell on the ground about six feet from the gun.Theres no chance of a next shot,because the powder falls out of the case and jams up the action ,and has to be cleaned away,before the bolt will close.

Was Mr Squibb related to Mr Dud?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    That’s why god made the brass rod.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

An old timer once told me- “Son, if you’ve never been lost, then you’ve never been anywhere!
    Likewise with squibs! It happens!
    Important thing is to recognize, adapt and overcome!
    But I wonder is Mr. Squib kin to Mr. Murphy and as mentioned earlier Mr. Dud?

Boolit Bub
    Hope you didn't blow-up a nice gun...

My son (10-11 then) was shooting our 10-22 at the range with a 500pk of Federal .22lr cheap stuff. A bullet stuck in the barrel and he kept firing thinking he had missed the 50yd target. I fired a few more and then saw the barrel bulge; not much, but the 40gr slugs wered really packed in there.

Many years before, I was shooting my 4" Python with some handloads, practicing fast double action shooting. I was running a cylinder and heard a plumpf rather than a pow and, luckily! was able to stop the pull. Removed the bullet with a hardwood dowel at home, but that was the end of my day. Pretty shook up, I'll say. Maybe it was an uncharged case? I dunno. I found I liked the S&W trigger much better than Colt so sold the gun.

Never had another squib because I quit charging as a separate step, and instead place bullet on the case right after charging. Still do it that way. Never bought any Federal ammunition again after the event with my son.

I generally use a loading block but only for charging with powder so I can look in them. I use tupperware for the other operations. If for some reason my block is not available or wouldn't fit my cases, I've loaded lots by charging 5 or 10 at a time, standing in rows on the bench. Charge the one on the end then move it a few inches and repeat till they are all charged, visually check the row and they're ready for bullets. Sucks when you knock one over though. Not really that much slower either.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast