RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Bought a Rossi, got a question

Boolit Bub

Bought a Rossi, got a question

I bought a Rossi M92 in 45 Colt with intentions of using in Cowboy Action Shooting or SASS. I have read about people having a gunsmith tuning the action or polishing it to be smoother or hold up better in competition type shooting. So my question is, how exactly do I word it to the gunsmith? Beside just saying, hey here you go, tune it up please! What do I say to make sure to get what I want done? And how much should I expect to pay for these services? I know having a smith tune it, isn't going to make it a Winchester or Uberti.

Thanks

Boolit Master

https://stevesgunz.com

This is your man...
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master
    Well I can tell you what I did to mine.(357) Took me 11 years to get one so messing with it once I did was a must since I have had so long to learn the tricks.

Buy this. https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod74989.aspx Then polish everything that moves inside. Make sure you deburrrrrr stuff inside first. Mine was all sorts of sharp. I matched the locking lugs. Made it cycle 75% smoother. Oh and get one of these for no reason other then its metal. Rossi 92 follower 45 fro ebay. 15 bucks.

Sorry I for some reason thought you wanted to do it yourself.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

But the stevesgunz video and parts and do the job yourself. Not difficult at all and makes a great improvement.
    Tony

Boolit Bub
    Alrighty, I'm willing to do it myself as long as time willing. The action is defiinately rough.

Boolit Bub
    I looked up his video, $60. The reason I quoted using a gunsmith because that's what he said he'd charge, $60.

Boolit Master
    This guy has a few videos on how to do it and what he did to his. I watched them all then did mine and the only thing he didnt do was cut three coils off his hammer spring. It made a world of difference. But if you buy the spring kit you do not have to cut it. This link will get you started. Watch all his 92 videos if you are bored.

Oh and like the video said it cost me a pepsi can. You need six layers of pepsi though.
    Last edited by Outer Rondacker; 04-07-2018 at 10:09 PM.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Not advertising for him, but the cost includes parts as well. You will understand better how the rifle works after doing the work yourself, and the knowledge transfers to future rifles.
    Tony

Boolit Master

I slicked up mine myself, very doable regardless of experience level imho. Not to mention it is a great oppurtunity to learn your rifle. I did not buy Steve’s video but rather used youtube and google for tips. Linked to Steve’s site because you mentioned gunsmith. I’d say lean into her!
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Bub
    I have jumped the gun, haven't searched the YouTube yet. Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
    But the stevesgunz video and parts and do the job yourself. Not difficult at all and makes a great improvement.
    Tony
    This. And then sell the video when you're done. The Rossi's are good once they've been smoothed. Every one I've shot has been accurate as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If you're going to do it yourself, keep in mind that, during re-assembly, you'll need to place a fired/empty cartridge case on the boltface, under the extractor, to allow reassembly w/o tearing your hair out.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    Another "do it yourselfer"... Watch a couple You Tubers and pick which one you understand the best..... Then have at it. When you are finished you will have that good self confidence that you are capable of getting it done.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.