Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingPBcastco
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hogs vs deer

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    My cast 395 boolit. 400 Jeffery.

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1260.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	220508
    80 meters through brain! 9.3x62 175 gr hp!
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Prodigal Son, That is SOME pig !!! I once saw some pigs coming toward me on a fence clearing. I had my Model 12 16 guage shotgun planning to shoot some crows. I leaned against a tree and aimed at a trail twenty feet away that had a deadfall across it.. A smaller boar got run off from the rest by a bigger boar and came under the deadfall tree. I didn't have to make much adjustment in the aim. The pig stopped as he saw something that didn't look just right. Aimed the load of #8 birdshot between the eye and ear and at the shot , a one inch hole appeared . DRT

Banned
    Outer Rondacker,

To quote NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC: "If you don't have hogs now, you will."

The SOLE good thing about feral hogs is that the ones to about 100# field dressed are EXCELLENT when BBQed. = Those go on my pit whole & cook overnight.

yours, tex

Banned
    brewer12345,

My Model 760 in .300 SAV works well on both with a 170 or 180 grain bullet. = Hogs are NOT armor-plated & they make excellent sausage & BBQed pork, too.

NOTE: One of our TX Master Naturalists makes INVASIVE SPECIES CHILI, with half feral pork scraps & chunks of Axis Deer. = BEST that I've ever had.
    (Even our ladies, after a day in the field doing mammal surveys or reptile studies, go back for THIRDS.)
    Addenda: Use any good recipe for Texas Red Chili with pork/venison, instead of the beef.

Served with sliced onions, tomatoes, homemade sourdough bread, cornbread muffins & iced tea, his chili makes a real FEAST.
    (Hardly anyone has room for the cake/pie/ice cream after a 3rd or 4th bowl.)

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    brewer12345,

My Model 760 in .300 SAV works well on both with a 170 or 180 grain bullet. = Hogs are NOT armor-plated & they make excellent sausage & BBQed pork, too.

NOTE: One of our TX Master Naturalists makes INVASIVE SPECIES CHILI, with half feral pork scraps & chunks of Axis Deer. = BEST that I've ever had.
    (Even our ladies, after a day in the field doing mammal surveys or reptile studies, go back for THIRDS.)
    Addenda: Use any good recipe for Texas Red Chili with pork/venison, instead of the beef.

Served with sliced onions, tomatoes, homemade sourdough bread, cornbread muffins & iced tea, his chili makes a real FEAST.
    (Hardly anyone has room for the cake/pie/ice cream after a 3rd or 4th bowl.)

yours, tex
    Initially I wondered why anyone would water down Axis. Hmmmm... Maybe.

Banned
    rodwha,

IMO, there is NO "maybe". = I just get my bowl & get into the chili line, then go get cornbread muffins & iced tea.
    (Carlos M_________ says that he's had equally good luck in making his chili, using NILGAI & feral pork.)

Since you are TEXICAN, may I invite you to join the volunteer "crazies" called TEXAS MASTER NATURALISTS??
    (Recently, a VERY senior manager at TP&WD HQ said, "Those people are 'nuts'. It seems like every time that something that really needs doing but which 'the experts' say cannot be done, the TMN 'bow their collective necks' & just go do it. It seems that 'grit' & the collective effort of a bunch of determined volunteers really does solve 'insolvable' problems.")

Note to All: There are now Master Naturalists in about 30 US States & 6 other nations now. - Our forum members may want to check to see if our groups have invaded your State/Country.
    We do a wide variety of CONSERVATION, RESTORATION, PRESERVATION & EDUCATION projects to benefit our communities.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 05-16-2018 at 07:59 AM. Reason: grammar

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    rodwha,

IMO, there is NO "maybe". = I just get my bowl & get into the chili line, then go get cornbread muffins & iced tea.
    (Carlos M_________ says that he's had equally good luck in making his chili, using NILGAI & feral pork.)

Since you are TEXICAN, may I invite you to join the volunteer "crazies" called TEXAS MASTER NATURALISTS??
    (Recently, a VERY senior manager at TP&WD HQ said, "Those people are 'nuts'. It seems like every time that something that really needs doing but which 'the experts' say cannot be done, the TMN 'bow their collective necks' & just go do it. It seems that 'grit' & the collective effort of a bunch of determined volunteers really does solve 'insolvable' problems.")

Note to All: There are now Master Naturalists in about 30 US States & 6 other nations now. - Our forum members may want to check to see if our groups have invaded your State/Country.
    We do a wide variety of CONSERVATION, RESTORATION, PRESERVATION & EDUCATION projects to benefit our communities.

yours, tex
    Had to look that up. We spend a lot of time backpacking in state parks. Is this something a 9 year old could get involved with? I love taking the time to show her nature and explaining what I know or Googling it for info.

Banned
    rodwha,

While a 9YO could certainly help an adult (who is a MN), I cannot see one being able to complete the TMN training, UNLESS they were eligible for MENSA & maybe not even then. = I have 2 graduate degrees, 3 decades as a LEO & found the classwork/homework to be "challenging" at BEST.
    (Most of my TMN class had earned doctoral degrees or were experienced engineers/IT pros/etc.)

I suggest that if YOU are dedicated to "wearing the green badge" that you go get trained. - I completed my class & graduated, "green". = Then take your sapling along.

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    Wow! So this is quite intensive. And for volunteer work???

Boolit Master
    Sounds like an interesting and worthwhile organization. Wish I had a more regular work schedule. As it is currently, I doubt I would do anything except frustrate everyone.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Banned
    rodwha,

The 1st day of class when everyone started giving their professional backgrounds, this "ole hillbilly boy" said to himself, "What the H am I doing here??"
    But I did graduate!!

YEP, we are all volunteers for any number of important conservation, restoration, preservation & education projects all over TX & in a lot of other places.
    (A piece of advice: Do NOT let them talk you into a day with the S.A.L.S.A. team. = 2 of us older TMN went out for a Saturday with that bunch of "crazies" to remove over 130 chinaberry trees from a State natural area. I was foolish enough to try to keep up with the USN guys in their 20s & 30s. BIG MISTAKE.===> I hurt all over, in places that I didn't know that I had places, for days.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 05-17-2018 at 11:55 PM. Reason: typo

Banned
    Lonegun1984,

Your employer might very well give you "time off" to go to class. - You will find out, if you ask around, that TMN are "pretty well thought of" by a lot of folks.

Our class was 6 hours, 1 day a week, for 10 weeks plus 48 hours of field work to graduate.
    A complete & acceptable result of a background investigation by TX DPS is also required.
    Tuition was 200.oo.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 05-18-2018 at 12:07 AM. Reason: add

Boolit Master
    Texasnative,
    If it’s one day a week, that’s definitely doable. I was thinking several weeks of training all day every day til finished. See, this is what happens when I start thinking.

I’m not worried about the background check. Work does one on me every year anyway, so that’s the easiest part of this.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Banned
    Lonegun1984,

Understood.

I find it "interesting" that certain people, who after being informed of the need for an acceptable background & DPS investigation, still try to get by it, when they have "a record".

yours, tex

Boolit Mold
    Any of them will work

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I've seen up to a 170# hog dropped at 2-50 yd with an 1100 fps 45 Colts with a 452-255 RNFP and 454424 .
    I saw one @140# shot head on with an 1800 fps 250 gr 35 Remington hit about mid snout scrambled brains and the bullet in the back strap just behind the shoulder .
    Shot one with a 257 Roberts jacketed head down spine surgery ....... Blood shot armpits ........

Given the choice of the 2 I'd say use the 35 Remington .
    Any quartering shot that will go through the lower chest in or out or the described neck shot will do nicely .

In a dozen or so hogs I've shot or been immediate party to only 2 ran , 1 was already running at the shot . The other is really anybody's guess . It was a 300 WSM my suspicion is bullet failure due to poor placement and poor bullet choice .

The wallow is where the armoured pigs get the armour rap from when they get wet then get the clay mud all over , then it's like trying to shoot through an inch of dirt to get to the hide , fast and small blows up while slow and fat wrecks stuff .
    I'll have you know that I paid $200 @ $1 per lb for that "140 lb" pig. Lol But the 35 rem did do the trick.
    When you find out where Prodigal Son found that pig I am going to come visit your new home.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123