RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hogs vs deer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by willicd76 View Post
    i kill most of my hogs (could kill several a day if i wanted) with a .223 or .357 mag. either does fine. i like to put it through the shoulders. the boars do have a "shield", but it isnt armor plating as some would have you believe. even an arrow goes through even the largest hogs with ease.
    Now this is exactly my experience with them also. Only difference is that I take more of mine with a .22LR pistol than anything else, but am trying to get good enough with my long bow to switch over to that completely. Even .22 LR goes completely through broadside for me on most shots, and this is on hogs ranging from 40# to 350# (my biggest to date). I have used just about everything I own, which ranges from .22 LR on up to .45-70, both 20ga and 12ga, both .50 and .54 muzzleloaders, and a very few so far with my bow. It's all in the placement. When using firearms, the .22 LR is my most used, with .357 Mag being a close second, followed by .45 ACP, and then it goes down the rest of the list after that. But the important thing to me is that they all work, IF you put the bullet in the right place. And for what it's worth, I have an obsession with seeing how close I can get, so the vast majority of my shots in the last couple of years have been inside of 20 yards, with a few, like that 350# hog, being inside of 10 FEET. So to me, its a game of close range, extremely accurate placement, and the discipline to NOT take any shot that is less than perfect. If you are the type that can't pass up an opportunity to take any shot that is less than perfect, you would absolutely hate hunting with me.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    Anything that will kill deer will kill hogs. The only difference is that while you are very unlikely to find any decent human that would shoot a deer with a 223 and let it die a slow, lingering death, quite decent folks who have been plagued by hogs will shoot them like vermin and leave them to rot. Both the loads you reference are ethical, lethal hog slayers either as neck shots or classic boiler room hits.

Boolit Master

Back in the mid '70's-1980's it seemed every 200lb+ pig in Central California had a GristlePlate over their Ribcages. It has been CA. State Law since I can remember that JACKETED EXPANDING BULLETS were required for all Hunting. No .22 centerfire for big game , .357-158 Jacketed as a minimum for Handgun Hunting.
    I used .270-150 NOSLER PARTITION or 7X57-170 SIERRA RN. BOTH punched through into the body cavity without a problem. Expansion was always good.
    I would have loved to put a #31141 clear through one. Or a #358009 out of a .35Whelen.
    I did put a #429244GC cast of LINOTYPE through both shoulders of a BIG Cougar up a tree out of my Dad's old BlackHawk.
    That was back in my last year in H.S. 1970
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I have an 8mm by the back door loaded with cast bullets just waiting for mr. Pig to come by. A 22-250 is my everyday carry gun for pigs. 22LR up to 12 gauge, everything works if you place the bullet right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Tex, how does the 22-250 perform on hogs?

Just fine. It kills deer just fine also. At least here it does. It wouldn't be my stalking choice but from a stand it shines.

Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    Nice! More info please!
    It's 500 grains made with Corbin dies and press. Nine pound onion skin. Don't know the powder charge but it's going about 1800 out of his 1885 single shot.

Boolit Master
    ****! Well that would do it!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Just fine. It kills deer just fine also. At least here it does. It wouldn't be my stalking choice but from a stand it shines.

Head and neck shots?

Neck is my preference but a high shoulder shot works too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Neck is my preference but a high shoulder shot works too.

I liked the first third of the neck by the body as it doesn’t move much if/when they do move. .270 dropped ‘em DRT each time.

In Remembrance

Here in Florida Piney-woods rooters are somewhat tougher than white-tail deer. Yes, the grizzle-cape on boars is difficult to penetrate with expanding .22 diameter bullets. Shot placement is everything. Cast boolits from 30 to .45 do a remarkable job if driven to 1500-1800 fps. Flat point to the head of the line! .44-40. .45 Colt, .357 Mag--all are good. So too is any .308-.303 British, 8X57, 7.7 Jap with appropriate ACWW boolits with a nice medium-to-large meplat. Here, there is a question about vermin or game. For years I got paid to shoot them as vermin and burn or bury their carcases. I think if I had it to do today (25 years later) I would go with a .300 Blackout shooting a 235 Lead boolit at 1200 fps out of an AR-15 chassis with a night vision scope. I was gettin paid $5 per piggy in 1985 and averaging 20-30 pigs per night over bait. Imagine what I could do today with night vision scope and a .300 Blackout with 30 round Magazines. I could easily pop 50 or more depending on the efficacy of the bait (cheap beer and cracked corn)

White-tail deer are way to smart to fall for this trick. Still, they almost never look up which is why tree stands work so well.

OK Fellas

Just about everyone who hunts, has taken a pig or fifty. From California to Italy, this animal commands respect. It is rare indeed when a deer will challenge you, much less, chase your butt up a skinny Florida pine sapling. Heck, even if I had never hunted for pig, I have killed enough to fill up a page with humorous and stupid anecdotes. My Mother enjoys wild tasting pork and employed me as a teenager to bring home ferrel pig. Sent out with two 22 long rifle cartridges and a Stevens model 3. Not hunting pigs, is what seemed to me as the best method for coming across feral pig packs. Later as a father, in order to avoid the steroid danger for my kids, I raised our meat sources. My implements of death, range from .458 Win mag to a 9 iron. It just so happens, both ends of the spectrum were used at close range, almost instinctively and with similar results, a dead pig. Everybody that has ever been dragged by the foot, more than once, by a 200lb(or bigger) disgruntled pig, signify with a harrumph. Gosh it seems to me a shame that I know what I do about killing pigs. Killing pigs requires a certain level of skill that is often lacking and requires compensation through weapon technology. If you can't hit em good, hit em hard.

In Florida, all pigs are imports, there were never indigenous species of pigs. That being said, pigs are abundant and several species have flourished. Right here in central Florida, where I grew up, there are thick woods, clear cuts, dense swamps and open pastures. All are populated with pigs and present much different challenges. It has been my good fortune to have experienced all this and more.

In my gun room is the head of a small feral boar killed five feet outside the door with my trusty 30-30. 180 gr cast with gas check powered by Dupont IMR 3031. Although small, he was sporting four inch tusks and an attitude typical of rutting male. Out on the trap range a small pack of sows with piglets, screwed up the parking area with their rooting so bad, no automobile could traverse. Trucks made it but the drivers complained of the condition. While on the pistol range, engaged in live fire, several sows wandered in and began grazing on the area in between firing line and target lines. A flattop Ruger saved me from a feral charging 230 lb boar and on a separate occasion demolished a feral piglet. The charging boar was wounded from a bad shot in a neighboring hunt area. A 315 gr cast 44 pushed with 17 gr of 2400 stopped him cold, not even a slide mark. The demolished piglet story will wait until a certain level of honesty dictates telling.

In my particular situation, the hogs were a destructive pest. When they became adept at getting into the various feed stock kept on premises, friends, neighbors, buddies, acquaintances, and on several occasions, a few local hunt clubs were invited to come kill pigs. Seldom was there a pig killed and left for buzzards. Boars do not concern me so much as sows with piglets. Generally a large boar is not in any kind of pack situation. Our parcel had all Florida land situations. The largest killing we sponsored, netted 51 dead pigs and the killing took less than thirty minutes. We did not decimate that pack! For me, the worst part starts with putting the guns back away. At one time I was a pig killer! Good skill to you.

Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gunarea View Post
    OK Fellas

Just about everyone who hunts, has taken a pig or fifty. From California to Italy, this animal commands respect. It is rare indeed when a deer will challenge you, much less, chase your butt up a skinny Florida pine sapling. Heck, even if I had never hunted for pig, I have killed enough to fill up a page with humorous and stupid anecdotes. My Mother enjoys wild tasting pork and employed me as a teenager to bring home ferrel pig. Sent out with two 22 long rifle cartridges and a Stevens model 3. Not hunting pigs, is what seemed to me as the best method for coming across feral pig packs. Later as a father, in order to avoid the steroid danger for my kids, I raised our meat sources. My implements of death, range from .458 Win mag to a 9 iron. It just so happens, both ends of the spectrum were used at close range, almost instinctively and with similar results, a dead pig. Everybody that has ever been dragged by the foot, more than once, by a 200lb(or bigger) disgruntled pig, signify with a harrumph. Gosh it seems to me a shame that I know what I do about killing pigs. Killing pigs requires a certain level of skill that is often lacking and requires compensation through weapon technology. If you can't hit em good, hit em hard.

In Florida, all pigs are imports, there were never indigenous species of pigs. That being said, pigs are abundant and several species have flourished. Right here in central Florida, where I grew up, there are thick woods, clear cuts, dense swamps and open pastures. All are populated with pigs and present much different challenges. It has been my good fortune to have experienced all this and more.

In my gun room is the head of a small feral boar killed five feet outside the door with my trusty 30-30. 180 gr cast with gas check powered by Dupont IMR 3031. Although small, he was sporting four inch tusks and an attitude typical of rutting male. Out on the trap range a small pack of sows with piglets, screwed up the parking area with their rooting so bad, no automobile could traverse. Trucks made it but the drivers complained of the condition. While on the pistol range, engaged in live fire, several sows wandered in and began grazing on the area in between firing line and target lines. A flattop Ruger saved me from a feral charging 230 lb boar and on a separate occasion demolished a feral piglet. The charging boar was wounded from a bad shot in a neighboring hunt area. A 315 gr cast 44 pushed with 17 gr of 2400 stopped him cold, not even a slide mark. The demolished piglet story will wait until a certain level of honesty dictates telling.

In my particular situation, the hogs were a destructive pest. When they became adept at getting into the various feed stock kept on premises, friends, neighbors, buddies, acquaintances, and on several occasions, a few local hunt clubs were invited to come kill pigs. Seldom was there a pig killed and left for buzzards. Boars do not concern me so much as sows with piglets. Generally a large boar is not in any kind of pack situation. Our parcel had all Florida land situations. The largest killing we sponsored, netted 51 dead pigs and the killing took less than thirty minutes. We did not decimate that pack! For me, the worst part starts with putting the guns back away. At one time I was a pig killer! Good skill to you.

Roy

i have killed several hundred pigs from the ground most in cover so thick that hands and knees were the mode of travel. i have NEVER actually been charged and i have been within feet of sows with piglets on a number of occasions. there was one rather large boar that came back to challenge me once but he left after some jaw popping and snorting. i guess our texas pigs are just sissies! i am a cattle rancher and rarely afford to eat beef so LOTS of hogs are consumed in the course of a year at my place.

Quote Originally Posted by gunarea View Post
    OK Fellas

Roy
    Fifty years ago I thought the worst part was scalding and scraping. Blah!

Vendor Sponsor

neck/shoulder joint hit with 223 and up will put them down DRT in most cases
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy

Hit that disconnect where the skull and spine meet. It is a bit below the ear and back bout 3 inches. no tracking on them is my prefered shot.

Boolit Buddy
    We killed 2 last Saturday night. A 75 pounder with th 300BO and one about 225 with a 7.62x39. Both were head or neck shots, both drt. No boolits though. I want to get the BO on cast as soon as I can work up to it.

Boolit Bub
    For deer hunting I like the 50/50 mix - ww to pure. The bullet mushrooms out nicely, does a lot of damage and usually passes through.Deer are pretty soft though. I started using the same mix on hogs and quickly realized I wasn't getting pass through shots. The consequence for me was the pigs would stay on there feet longer, always putting me further down the steep mountains. I pulled two 165 grain, 30 cal bullets from a boar that measured out at 70 caliber. That hog put me at the bottom of white oak gulch at dark. After that, straight w.w have been used for the hogs and they work great. It's nice to break the opposing shoulder and get the blood pumping.

Boolit Buddy
    I ear holed a 250 pounder friday night. Jacketed bullet unfortunately. AR with thermal scope, in 7.62x39. Bang flop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast