RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bought my first cast iron skillet.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
    So I have not seen anybody mentioning the use of kosher salt for cleaning. When I sear my ribeye's I wipe the majority of the grease out with a paper towel, then dump in 1/4 cup of kosher salt and using another paper towel scrub the sticky bits that are left and the salt soaks up any remaining oil pooled on the surface. I just brush out the oily salt into the sink and call it done and never use water at all. Any fine salt dust remaining in the pan is just seasoning for the next meal.
    We always used salt & an old towel to clean unless really bad. The latin stores has a scrubber made of what looks like tightly bound bailing cord or stiff thin twigs that make short work of scrubbing. Asian stores have a wooden brush that curves for cleaning woks. Either do great on CI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by brassrat View Post
    Hehe I am kidding just thinking of the many posts I have seen on the subject. I guess the grinder guys pans are fine. I use lots of water, and rarely, boiling water to clean. Mostly a sink rag and then onto the, hot, gas stove and a wipe down with Crisco. My pans are great, but few
    I'm glad you were being humorous. Some people are really fanatical about things, and I have seen some pretty serious posts around here, even been called out myself a time or two. Like I have always been told, "A wise man will not give out advice and a fool will not heed it." I just started restoring 4 pans and pots for my son-in-law that were messed up by Harvey. Have 'em in a lye bath and then will do electrolysis method for the rust. This is my goto site for info. http://www.castironcollector.com/
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    This is my goto site for info. http://www.castironcollector.com/
    That link you provided is fascinating! All sorts of good information!
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Moderator Emeritus

A cautionary tale:

I had Ribeye last weekend.
    I think there was something (bromelain?) in the 'solution' of this dollar store Ribeye that wrecked the seasoning in my Griswold fry pan. I've cooked with the pan each breakfast since and eggs stick badly.

So, this morning, I cleaned the pan thoroughly with hot water and copper chore-boy, then re-seasoned using the stove top method (put a little fat/oil in pan, get pan smoking hot, cut heat and let it sit til cool). Eggs didn't stick afterward, YAY !

So, if I buy anymore of these, they'll get cooked in a ceramic coated fry pan. BTW, for $1 these are pretty good for steak sandwich, I thaw them, unlike this video recommends, and just give them a quick fry, like 30 seconds for first side and 30 seconds or less for second side, I just watch for juices to come through the meat and remove from pan. I've also tried them on the grill...they get tough real fast on the grill
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234