Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I can't wait any longer....must reload!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wadcutter Willie View Post
    Ive got boxes of spent brass and an unopened case of Berry's plated 148gr DEWC ready to go.
    One tip on the Berry's plated 148gr DEWC, don't use starting target loads for unplated cast or swaged lead boolits, such as the (in)famous 2.8gr of Bullseye. You'll end up with no stability, keyholed targets (if it hits the targets at all), or if your barrel is long enough, one stuck in the bore. Stick to jacketed loads for this bullet and you'll be fine.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    One tip on the Berry's plated 148gr DEWC, don't use starting target loads for unplated cast or swaged lead boolits, such as the (in)famous 2.8gr of Bullseye. You'll end up with no stability, keyholed targets (if it hits the targets at all), or if your barrel is long enough, one stuck in the bore. Stick to jacketed loads for this bullet and you'll be fine.

Data is non existent with this bullet, though. I can tell op that after some experimentation I ended up with excellent accuracy with 4 grains of hp38 and cartridge overall length of 1.27". No pressure signs I can see and shoots well in a snub 38, a security six, and a lever carbine.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    Data is non existent with this bullet, though. I can tell op that after some experimentation I ended up with excellent accuracy with 4 grains of hp38 and cartridge overall length of 1.27". No pressure signs I can see and shoots well in a snub 38, a security six, and a lever carbine.
    Thanks, brewer12345. My Berry's have been sitting for a decade, forgotten since I started casting. Maybe now I'll dig them up and try your load.

I think the long bearing surface combined with the hard plate makes for an unusual load that doesn't really correlate with the usual listed loads.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Welcome to the forum and have fun reloading. I remember quite vividly my first reloading experience, like you, with the LeeLoader, in .45 Long Colt. As others have said there is nothing wrong with a LeeLoader and it taught me the principals of reloading. Each step will show you why other reloading equipment was developed. However, the process is still the same.

You have been given valuable information from others on the forum.

Enjoy!
    Vietnam Veteran (68-69), NRA Life Member

Boolit Man
    Lots of good advice given. I would suggest the cartridge specific manual by caliber for load data, which includes load data from most major bullet and powder manufacturers. And as others have suggested, understand the process before hopping in. There's a ton of free info online if you don't have the money for a manual. When starting out, charge a case and seat a bullet in that case before charging another so there's no chance of a double charge. Double check primers to make sure they're seated correctly. Watch brass as you're shooting for signs of pressure, etc. Keep asking questions and welcome to the fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12