MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: Easy Bread

Boolit Master

Easy Bread

This recipe is all over the internet so it is not mine, but it works and makes great bread. I tweak it depending on what I want. I've used it for cinnamon rolls, pizza dough and jalapeno cheese bread with good success. I have baked it in a cast iron Dutch oven over charcoal several times and it always comes out good. At home I put the Dutch oven in the kitchen oven and bake it.

3 cup warm water
    1 table spoon yeast
    1 table spoon salt
    6 1/2 cups flour

Stir the water, yeast and salt together. Add the flour all at once and stir till it is all mixed. The hard part is done! In a loosely covered bowl let it sit on the counter for several hours till it has risen and kind of flattened out on top. It's now ready to use, but it is easier to work with if it has been in the frig for a few hours. I cut off about 1/3 the dough, roll it in a ball and place on a piece of parchment paper. No need to kneed it, just let it sit for about an hour. Pre heat the oven with the Dutch oven inside to 450* Place the ball of dough in the Dutch oven, cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid from the oven and bake an additional 15 minutes. Now the hardest part comes, try to let it cool before you eat it.

The remaining dough can be used any time over the next couple weeks.

This bread is best fresh, but makes excellent toast if you don't eat it all the first day.

Thanks for posting the recipe. It is very similar to one I've been using for years now that was published in a bread recipe book entitled "Artisan Bread In 5 Minutes A Day". The ingredients are exactly the same as is all of the prep and baking instructions, excepting the Dutch oven. The book uses a pizza peel with a sprinkling of cornmeal on it. You place the dough ball onto the peel, then slide it onto a baking stone with a sprinkling of cornmeal on it also, which facilitates removing the loaf of finished bread with the pizza peel after it's baked. The baking stone is already in the oven and preheats with the oven. A bit of the cornmeal bakes into the bottom of the loaf which gives it a nice additional taste and texture. It does make excellent toast the next day, and never lasts long around here. Great with butter when out of the oven for about 10 minutes and still very warm. Like I already stated, I've never heard of the Dutch oven, but have been thinking about experimenting with some loaf baking pans. The pizza peel and baking stone method creates what is called a free-form loaf. Since it is not contained on the sides the dough tends to flatten and the end result looks like a West Coast or European sourdough loaf, round and somewhat flattened. One additional step your recipe omits is that after the dough ball is rounded preparatory to baking you should use a serrated kitchen knife and cut a # pattern on the top. Some steam is released through the cuts as it bakes and the center bakes more thoroughly. Great not having to knead the dough!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for sharing the recipe & all! I will try it!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

another way to gain weight! yea!!
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

try this one
    Make a yogurt like suspension with only flower and water.
    200cc total, give or take, this amount willgive you every day a small pound of bread, adapt for need.
    Put it in a clean bowl, outside in the wind for two hours.
    After that take the bowl inside and pour a ?thee? spoon of sugar into it, then cover it up with a towel, put it high and warm
    Next day you will be adding the half amount of flower you started with, and stir gently.
    The next day, you must see some bubbles of the yeast doing its work.
    #Add some sugar water and flower, no salt!!!, it must become a thick yogurt
    Leave it a day alone, next day, dived in to two equal pieces.
    One piece you "feed" as after the #, the other piece you add so much flower that it will become a good non sticky doug, add the same amount of sugar as the amount of salt.(for taste also)
    Sugar will feed the yeast, salt will kill the yeast when the yeast is "full".
    Put your doug into the oven to let it rise overnight, the next morning(if your oven has a timer) you willhave everyday fresh bread.
    Use any flower you wish.
    The older your starter gets, the better the taste will be.
    If you make you're starter in spring it will taste different than if you make you starter in the summer or autumn.

Several tricks for successful bread, for when you are making you're final doug.
    Use a little citrus acid, fresh or dry powder....no gunpowder that is!!!
    A tablespoon or two or three of olive oil, after you finest your doug.
    And/or, some dry powder coffee creamer two or three table spoons
    Try some egg only the yellow part into the doug, the white part you can use to let it glace when smeared on top.
    Long story for easy every day bread. 5 minuts every day if you got the hang of it

I don't know the law's in your country's but in Holland this is legal to make you're own wine.

After your first starter is going strong, instead of water and Sugar, use grape juice, and no sugar
    Check the ingredients that it is natural!!!the last things you want to have in you're starter is sulfide or vinegar
    Finish your dough also with grape juice, to get a ancient roman bread.
    Don't use juice from any citric fruits aka mandarins pineapples orange apples ect.

when you have you're starter going with grape juice or grape fruit, you can experiment to add only grape juice/fruit, dubble it up every day and put it into a big wine bottle with water lock.

For example youre starter is 200cc, after feeding 400cc, take 200cc off and put 200cc fruit or juice into it.
    next day you must see some bubbles than add 400cc, next day 800, 1600 put this in a wine "balloon" with a water lock, and fill the balloon to ~90-95%.
    If you don't have experience with wine making, google first to find out what steps are taken next.
    In short: every month, the next three months take the wine of its dead yeast, then let it rest for three months.
    Perfect 8-10% alcohol easy going wine.
    With the bread and with some wild hog on a open fire in the autumn....
    Easy with a little efford an practice.

I don't know the law's in your country's but in Holland this is legal to make you're own wine

Moderator Emeritus

I have used the yeast slurry from my beer brewing to make bread. Really good stuff and it carries some of the beer hop flavors into the bread.

Boolit Grand Master
    Do you do it indirect heat on your grill??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

yes, you can do it on the side of the bbq slowly, or in the morning when the yeast did his work, take it out,warmup the oven/grill.
    When its on temp put it back in, enjoy!!!!At least I enjoy it Very much