Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Traditions Trapper Part #1

Boolit Bub

Shooting Traditions Trapper Part #1

Shot the Trapper for the first time yesterday. Started out shooting RPB .490 dia with a .015 lubed patch pushed by 35 gr. of 3F Triple 7 ignited with CCI #10 cap. All went well. 3" groups fired 10 balls. Then moved the target to 25 yds. Same load, Group opened up to about 6". Both groups were about 3" low on the bull. Must raise the rear sight. Must try 40 grs next. BIG Question any recommendation on a good shooting glove. That Trapper grip hurts my thumb on recoil. Oh by the way all the RB's I shoot are hand cast by me in a Vintage T/C mould. They drop at .490/.491. All recycled range lead

Boolit Grand Master

Raise your grains up. Go up in 5 grain increments at a time. I'd keep shooting at 25y until you get good groups. What does you fired patches look like? They should look good enough to use again. New guns often take about 200 rnds through them before they break in.
    Aim small, miss small!

Banned
    20 to 30 grains 2fg goex is what i shoot in my traditions kentucky. I think your load is a bit hot.

Boolit Master
    Yep, frontier ml is correct, for target shooting about18-20 grains of 3fffg is all you need, at 25 yds rested mine would keep all the bullets cutting each other, about a 1 1/2 group!

Boolit Grand Master

I now agree with the others. Drop it down some. I didn't realize at first that it is a pistol.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    25 grains of 3F works well in my .50 caliber Traditions Kentucky out to 50 yds where it drops about 4 inches. At 25 yds it's on the bullseye off a rest. Each one is different, try a lighter load and work up.

Boolit Bub
    The opinion of those who answered is to try a lighter charge, I tried 35 grs of Triple 7. Have a measure for 30 grs so that will be next. Last test will be 25 grs. Found that the elevation set screw on the rear sight is missing, would anybody know what size this is. 6/40 is too big and 5/40 is to small. Must be a metric.

Boolit Bub
    Tried the 30 grs. of triple 7 today. Shot real good. 3 " groups at 25 yds. I was pleased. Now to get it right on target. Shooting about 3" low and 3" to the right. Must find that elevation screw. Nothing on the Traditions exploded view. Will move the front sight a little to to the left in the dovetail. Also just for kicks I fired 3 shots with 30 grs Triple 7 pushing a 45 cal 200 gr bullet in a black sabot. Shot as good as the PRB. The testing will keep marching on

Banned

You are going to want to move that front sight to the right, if it is shooting to the right. Once the windage is correct, file a hair off of the front and you are good to go.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the tip. When I think about I realized what you were saying. Will do , how much do you think I figured about 1/32 or less to start

Boolit Grand Master

If you can't find the screw try going to cainsoutdoors. They have parts. CVA parts will work.
    Aim small, miss small!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Contenderman View Post
    Thanks for the tip. When I think about I realized what you were saying. Will do , how much do you think I figured about 1/32 or less to start
    You are going to have to move the sight a little and shoot it a bunch to check things. Go slow....you might even want to try some more different loads and patch thicknesses than you already have before you change anything. Good luck. This is the fun part.

If this is the pistol you're shooting, https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/p...elect-Hardwood, I'd adjust the rear sight for windage and leave the front one alone for the time being. Once you find an accurate load, you may have to file the front sight a bit IF you can't adjust elevation with the rear one.

Boolit Bub
    As I mentioned earlier the elevating screw in the rear sight is missing. No idea what size it is to get a new one. 5/40 is too small and 6/40 is too big

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Contenderman View Post
    As I mentioned earlier the elevating screw in the rear sight is missing. No idea what size it is to get a new one. 5/40 is too small and 6/40 is too big
    So why not write or telephone Traditions and ask for a replacement screw?

Boolit Bub
    Sent an E-mail this earlier this afternoon if no results will try a phone call

My Trapper"s accuracy load is 30gr. of Triple seven FFg with a patched 178gr (pure lead) round ball: "stiffer" loads open groups exponentially. 30 grains is a comfortable load to shoot and compares favorably to .45 cal BP revolver loads, but leaves a bigger hole. I've not shot anything but paper targets, so I have no idea how effective it is on game up close. If anyone has used this pistol and load on game, reports would be appreciated.

Boolit Bub
    I tried 25 grs of 3f BP today and low and behold it shot I thought real well. 3"group at 25 yds. 490 ball with a lubed .015 patch. Back to working on the sight, still missing the elevation screw did not receive an answer to my e-mail from Traditions. Guess I am left to solve the problem myself. Also with the BP the recoil felt about the same as 30 grs of Triple 7

Years ago I had a CVA Mountain Pistol in .50. My load was 50 grains of 3f w/ patched .490 ball. I also shot it with 60 gr but backed off a little to lessen recoil although 60 wasn't too bad. It shot point of aim at 25 with the above load.

Boolit Master
    I too think your first load was a bit hot.
    Here is my Trapper at 25yds.

Failure is not an Option

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast