RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Truck pulling weights?

Boolit Man

Truck pulling weights?

Guy local has lead truck pulling weights for sale. Does anyone know if it is good for casting? I uploaded a picture from his ad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180407_082624.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I would do the acid test on these before I would consider buying them.

Boolit Grand Master

I would recommend the acid test also as they may not have been 2 fussy about zinc, But the did need the most weight in the smallest space so it is probably pure or close to it. A lot of the guys went from the lightest classes with no weights to the 10,000 lb class just by adding weights. So there may be a bunch of them there.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I would recommend the acid test also as they may not have been 2 fussy about zinc, But the did need the most weight in the smallest space so it is probably pure or close to it. A lot of the guys went from the lightest classes with no weights to the 10,000 lb class just by adding weights. So there may be a bunch of them there.
    He says he has 2000 pounds. He wants $1.25 per pound. What is the acid test?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by aaholland View Post
    He says he has 2000 pounds. He wants $1.25 per pound. What is the acid test?
    Put a drop of Muriatic Acid on each weight. If it fizzes (bubbles up) there is Zinc in the lead alloy. Don’t buy any ingots with Zinc in them.

You can get muriatic acid from most pool supply stores or home centers. Be very careful handling the acid and don’t breathe the fumes. So, outside only and nitrile gloves.

Personally, I’d offer him less than a dollar a pound for the lead.

Boolit Grand Master

I would wait and see what size they actually are. How big is your pot? weights in the 100lb range don't fit in a lot of casters pots and have to be cut down to fit.

Boolit Master
    I would ask more questions.Did the guy selling them make the weights if so what did he use.you are takeing some risk here of zinc contamination.so the $1.25 is way to hi if you do not no what is is.Most of the pulling and race car guys dont pay any attention to what the melt.

Boolit Master

most pulling weights I have seen are all cast iron and not lead, some stock car people use lead for balance.

Boolit Grand Master

We made some suitcase weights from steel plates. It was given to Dad and we made a sheet metal template and cut them out with the torch. These were heavy steel plates. Most purchased weights are cast iron, but a lot have been made from lead, plates, and or concrete.
    The home made lead weights can be anything that the person can melt down so testing is necessary

Boolit Master
    Do they have angle iron welded to them?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bdicki View Post
    Do they have angle iron welded to them?
    Yeah, the big ones look like they are welded.... better take a magnet if you go to look at them.

Boolit Master
    one thing to point out..... scrape the metal with a file to expose raw surface and apply the acid to the clean metal. if this guy refuses to allow you to sest this.................... RUN AWAY.

Moderator Emeritus

they look like steel to me.
    the big ones look to have welded brackets, two of the small ones look to have weld on the bottoms

do a drop test.
    If they "thud" when you drop them on concrete, they are pure/soft Lead.

edited: I had a second thought, maybe those are formed sheet steel that are 'filled' with Lead
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    the big ones look to have welded brackets, two of the small ones look to have weld on the bottoms

do a drop test.

edited: I had a second thought, maybe those are formed sheet steel that are 'filled' with Lead
    HA HA HA HA , You know that is a good possibility. I'D be pretty P.O'd if i went there and a magnet stuck to them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post

do a drop test.

I think this is the likely what you're going to find. I've had several like this from old stock car drivers. They would fill square stock to save room or in some cases try to hide it. I very carefully stick one end in the pot and bring up to temperature just in case there is moisture trapped inside. Most of the older stuff is lead as zinc is much more recent and those fellows used to get buckets of tire shop wheel weights.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Grand Master

Welded? Never heard you can weld anything to lead. Some may be lead, most probably not. Exposed weights like that for a truck, tractor etc that I have seen are cast iron or steel filled with lead or zinc. The one on the far right is steel imho. Cast iron tends to be formed with hooks to set on a bar in front or cast with a hole in the center.

Be very careful of these, test each one with a drop of acid after cleaning the top with a file to expose the bare metal and $1.25/lb is too high for lead like that. I'm guessing cast iron or steel and leaning towards steel with the welded hook on top. If they are steel filled with lead that would be too much trouble for me to go to.

Frankly, I think your wasting your time on these.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Those don't really look like lead to me. I would take a magnet if I were to go look at those. Unless I was really low on lead I probably would not pay $1.25 for unknown lead. But, looking, listening and watching are the way you find lead. Good Luck with this!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I melted some last year. It was as soft as pure lure gets. Some where plastic coated steel. I used a saws all to cut them up to fit in my cast iron pan. If it doesn't spark while cutting it it's probably lead.