RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wine, collector's single bottle

Banned

Wine, collector's single bottle

I have a single bottle of wine that I have found an approximate online value for of $275.00.
    But I can't verify that it it has been cellered correctly for the past 30 years.
    The question is what to do with it. I can't find a way to sell it online. What I have found is the need to verify the past storage.
    So, do I have just a pretty bottle of purple liquid?
    Note: this is Not an offer to sell on this forum. Seeking advice only.
    The wine is from an estate of a friend who passed away last week.

Boolit Grand Master

Any local wine specialty stores? That would be my first stop.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    You have identified the issue in my opinion. I have been out of wines for at least a couple decades, but back then if you were buying as an investment you would maintain significant evidence of the storage. It wasn’t enough to keep it in a cool basement, although that might be fine for drinking stock, folks wanted environmental controls and reporting.

That said, I’d drink it or if you don’t enjoy wine give it to someone that does.

Boolit Bub
    I'd just drink it.

Boolit Master
    Open it up and toast your late friend. He'd probably want it done that way.

Boolit Master

its quite possible you own what amounts to a nice bottle of vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    This is what I would do as well.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wizofwas View Post
    I'd just drink it.
    I think your friend would approve of this .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Ironic...

Just last week I was talking to a lady friend and mentioned I bought a fancy bottle of wine during a trip to a local winery a couple of years ago. I told her that I was saving the bottle for a special guest who would appreciate it.

She is a wine connoisseur and asked if I stored it in a rack and kept the temperature from extremes. Uh, no. It's sitting upright on my bar and my house goes from 50 degrees to 84 degrees depending on the season.

She said it likely has gone bad. Told me a bottle has to be on it's side in order to keep the cork hydrated. If not, it will dry out and allow the wine to be contaminated. I had no idea.

I went and fetched the bottle of wine and she remarked that it did not have a cork and instead a screw top, which is becoming more and more common these days among the smaller wineries. She said it might still be good. I'm planning on opening it this weekend; classy woman or not being present...

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Ironic...

Just last week I was talking to a lady friend and mentioned I bought a fancy bottle of wine during a trip to a local winery a couple of years ago. I told her that I was saving the bottle for a special guest who would appreciate it.

She is a wine connoisseur and asked if I stored it in a rack and kept the temperature from extremes. Uh, no. It's sitting upright on my bar and my house goes from 50 degrees to 84 degrees depending on the season.

She said it likely has gone bad. Told me a bottle has to be on it's side in order to keep the cork hydrated. If not, it will dry out and allow the wine to be contaminated. I had no idea.

I went and fetched the bottle of wine and she remarked that it did not have a cork and instead a screw top, which is becoming more and more common these days among the smaller wineries. She said it might still be good. I'm planning on opening it this weekend; classy woman or not being present...
    99% of wines sold today, are sold to drink now. While most can be stored for a couple years (maybe up to 10 yrs, depending on acid content), most will NOT benefit from storage. Drink them now.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    I have a single bottle of wine that I have found an approximate online value for of $275.00.
    But I can't verify that it it has been cellered correctly for the past 30 years.
    The question is what to do with it. I can't find a way to sell it online. What I have found is the need to verify the past storage.
    So, do I have just a pretty bottle of purple liquid?
    Note: this is Not an offer to sell on this forum. Seeking advice only.
    The wine is from an estate of a friend who passed away last week.
    you could search out a auction house that consigns wine, but I suspect consigning one $300 bottle will end up being a disapointment?

I like some wine...My Brother is very much into wine and has many wine loving friends. From my experience hanging around with them, few will pay the price that a collector bottle will bring on auction.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

What is the producer and the year? You may be able to sell it as a trophy that someone needs to fill out their collection even though they know it’s storage is suspect. A lot depends one how desirable the wine is.

Hi,John I used to make wine from my "Jaboticaba" tree, about 15 gal. a yr.too bad the tree got killed, then I sold the property, it was fine while it lasted, Fivefang

Boolit Grand Master
    My dads family business in the "old country" was making wine.

With the storage issue, I would drink it. If it takes good, enjoy it.
    Don Verna

Banned
    Great answers and a lot of help. Thanks everyone for your input.
    The bottle is wrapped to keep out light but has been stored upright for years. So opening it for a toast probably not sure a good idea.
    I guess I will just hold on to it for a while.
    Ken

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    Agreed, but prepare your favorite meal to go with it for a proper toast. Have a decent backup bottle on hand just in case it has gone bad. Best wishes that it hasn’t.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

In Remembrance
    I would not worry too much about it going bad from age or storage or what ever. I think every wine I ever tasted was bad. I am talking about 99 cent Boones farm and on special occasions when we were loaded some 2 dollar mad dog. lol

Banned
    If improperly stored and you sold it you would not have made any friends and possibly someone wanting their money back. My advice is simply to drink it and if its good you have been able to enjoy a lower priced decent wine and if not stored properly a bitter bottle of vinegar. That $200+ bottle of wine isn't an expensive investment worth worrying about getting a return on. You could simply walk to the sink open the bottle up and pour the contents down the drain. Its not like its a 10K bottle of wine, life is short just open it and hope it tastes good.

Banned
    I agree with Starmac, wine tastes awful. I think I'll just put it on the shelf as a memorial, along with the pint bottle of Coors, filtered drinking water from the 1993 Des Moines flood.

In Remembrance

For a $300 bottle of wine that has been stored in all the wrong ways, the only way it would increase in value would be that it came from the Titanic.Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast